Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sam
----------
----------

Re: Southport 1-1 Scarborough - Match Thread

Post by Sam »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 am
?

We aren't bound by the transfer window, but teams in leagues above us are.

Let's say Accrington have a player to offload, someone we might want to sign, but they only want to offload that player if they have signed their replacement. But the same could be true of the team who owns the player they want. Many clubs operate one in, one out.

They can't sign a player until the transfer window is open, thus we are indirectly affected by the transfer window.

Better? Or would you like to use your vocabulary to expand on why football transfer window basics confused you?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Roday1878 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 am
Annonymous_fan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:15 pm Offer accepted for one of our players. Any ideas who it is and what club?
Further to this, I understand the proposed move is not to the Football League but will be a life changing opportunity.
https://twitter.com/_stephenkillen/stat ... ROFS8wGbtQ

Interesting and listening to Liam’s interview, he appears to say change of ‘Country’ before saying step up [4:14] on his YouTube interview.
He doesn't say anymore the the first letter of the word country, so he may have been about to say a different word beginning with "c" though i can't imagine what it would have been in a footballing sense.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

David_1276 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:47 am
Roday1878 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 am
Annonymous_fan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:15 pm Offer accepted for one of our players. Any ideas who it is and what club?
Further to this, I understand the proposed move is not to the Football League but will be a life changing opportunity.
https://twitter.com/_stephenkillen/stat ... ROFS8wGbtQ

Interesting and listening to Liam’s interview, he appears to say change of ‘Country’ before saying step up [4:14] on his YouTube interview.
If it's "life changing", one would assume it isn't to Wales either. Perhaps a move into the Scottish leagues or further afield? Sweden? Cyprus? Both seem to have an interest in English non-league. It also would be extremely unlikely to be to an NL club, as an opportunity to go to any one of those wouldn't be considered life changing either.
But NL are all full time, so effectively EFL. Sadly, my money is on it being Anson.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sam wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:41 am
Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 am
?

We aren't bound by the transfer window, but teams in leagues above us are.

Let's say Accrington have a player to offload, someone we might want to sign, but they only want to offload that player if they have signed their replacement. But the same could be true of the team who owns the player they want. Many clubs operate one in, one out.

They can't sign a player until the transfer window is open, thus we are indirectly affected by the transfer window.

Better? Or would you like to use your vocabulary to expand on why football transfer window basics confused you?
Yes, better. I well understand the wider implications of the transfer window. I just didn’t understand your post.
Formula Port
----------
----------

Post by Formula Port »

Liam’s rubbing his hands together there with a nice little Xmas bonus selling players on.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Marsh Harrier wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:19 pm I remember a supporter on one of my forays to the North East to watch a Northern League match saying "Get the ball down man!" Wise words and maybe one day we will keep the ball on the floor but for now it is what it is and a draw was a fair result!
I still hear fans in the Main Stand say ‘get it down’ all the time despite the masses of evidence that the manager doesn’t play that way. The first ball forward is invariably long and possession football in the middle third doesn’t occur as it’s got to be rolled back to defenders to ‘get it into the right areas’. It’s a style of play you rarely see outside of this League or Haig Ave but I’ve learned to accept that this is the way we play and getting frustrated at it is a bit like shouting at clouds! You’d be angry all the time so just have to accommodate the tactics when watching Port. When they play it well (and score a late equaliser like yesterday) it’s far better than when they play it poorly and constantly lose possession by sending 20:80 balls into ‘the right areas’. My conclusion is you’ve got to make peace with the method because it will not change until there’s a new name on the managers door.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

I know it was only an easy friendly against Runcorn but they played the way most people want.
Players spread out and very few long balls and players could express themselves with great passing.
The obvious difference was Cameron throwing and rolling the ball out and setting up attack after attack instead of the boring long kick to no one in particular usually the opposition.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

cavjj wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:35 pmKeep selling your best players and the club just stands still and never progress out of this league, history keeps repeating itself.

I guess we will be in the same position in 4,5 or 6 years time.
Said it before and I’ll say it again. There are about four clubs in the world who can afford to refuse to sell their best players when a decent offer comes in - we’re not one of them.
For balance, Chester rejected a move for Kurt Willoughby from a National League side. The board statement says they have no intention in selling any of their key players.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

badger wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:41 am Another two points gone if we had more punch upfront we would be near the top of the table. Just Hope Watson does start selling our best players again..
Badger, we didn't lose we drew. Who woke you up :shock: Trust me, you can rest peacefully until spring and we will be in the playoffs when you awake
As with most clubs we have to sell players, god I wish it wasn't so but thats how footie is for the "have not clubs". Also LW may manage to get a loan back clause, like he did with LE.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:28 pm
badger wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:41 am Another two points gone if we had more punch upfront we would be near the top of the table. Just Hope Watson does start selling our best players again..
Badger, we didn't lose we drew. Who woke you up :shock: Trust me, you can rest peacefully until spring and we will be in the playoffs when you awake
As with most clubs we have to sell players, god I wish it wasn't so but thats how footie is for the "have not clubs". Also LW may manage to get a loan back clause, like he did with LE.
He obviously knows we drew[ 2 points gone] and he is also right on the lack of goals scored glad he has woken up :)
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

loyal jay wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:22 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:35 pmKeep selling your best players and the club just stands still and never progress out of this league, history keeps repeating itself.

I guess we will be in the same position in 4,5 or 6 years time.
Said it before and I’ll say it again. There are about four clubs in the world who can afford to refuse to sell their best players when a decent offer comes in - we’re not one of them.
For balance, Chester rejected a move for Kurt Willoughby from a National League side. The board statement says they have no intention in selling any of their key players.
Non league and lower league clubs can reject offers that they genuinely consider to be inadequate but publicly saying that they have no intention in selling any of their key players is unrealistic. Clubs that get reputations for not allowing their players to progress will find agents less willing to recommend players to them. Just as people in other walks of life want promotion and pay rises, so good footballers will aim to better themselves.
loyal jay
----------
----------

Post by loyal jay »

becbee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:55 pm
loyal jay wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Non league and lower league clubs can reject offers that they genuinely consider to be inadequate but publicly saying that they have no intention in selling any of their key players is unrealistic. Clubs that get reputations for not allowing their players to progress will find agents less willing to recommend players to them. Just as people in other walks of life want promotion and pay rises, so good footballers will aim to better themselves.
I agree, but it helps that he's playing for a club with realistic promotion aspirations. I suspect their statement is a bargaining chip to leverage more money out of a potential sale.