Southport 0-1 Scunthorpe - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
optimickstic
----------
----------

Re: Southport 0-1 Scunthorpe - Match Thread

Post by optimickstic »

About time the club home page updated the league table ,we have played 43 games ,maybe we could get big help with things like this ;)
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

If Danhayes is correct, this is crazy. We must change this for next season and book the entire pitch for two two-hour slots each week. Even if we are in straitened circumstances, we can surely afford to pay more than a bunch of kids playing 5-a-side.
DanHayes
Love an AGM me
Love an AGM me

Post by DanHayes »

I don't think it's necessarily lack of desire or cost....can't book something that isn't available. Most of the time these facilities are block booked by clubs spanning years.
Author: "The Town's Game: The Origins of Rugby and Association Football in Southport (1872-1889)", available to buy on Amazon from £4.99.
Editor: www.southportcentral.co.uk
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

DanHayes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:41 am
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:43 pm Can anybody spell out what this third of a pitch thing is about? Doesn’t make sense to me - why would they only have a third? Whats going on in the other two thirds? Or have they just booked a 5-a-side pitch? How does this square with that video earlier in the season about improved training conditions?
Facts not more speculation.
It is unlikely that on the evenings that we want to train, that a full size pitch is actually available at JMO. It is a very busy and popular venue, not because of it's quality - because it has already been proven to be not up to standard - but, because it is one of the only facilities within miles.
I can remember similar challenges 5-10 years ago when we wanted to train with the old u18s/u21s.
The other two thirds will be occupied by other community hire, such as adult or kids five a side.
The improved training facilities appeared to amount to having access to some of the empty classrooms in the building.
Considering we only train once a week, using our own pitch would surely be the best option.
Why do we only train once a week? I've never heard of any part time club who play at any level who train less than two evenings a week?
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

I thought we trained Tuesdays and Thursdays?
Portfan4life
----------
----------

Post by Portfan4life »

We do need to train more if we want to compete for playoffs
DanHayes
Love an AGM me
Love an AGM me

Post by DanHayes »

Gambo's Left Boot wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:26 pm I thought we trained Tuesdays and Thursdays?
Depends on how often we have a game.
Author: "The Town's Game: The Origins of Rugby and Association Football in Southport (1872-1889)", available to buy on Amazon from £4.99.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:43 pm Can anybody spell out what this third of a pitch thing is about? Doesn’t make sense to me - why would they only have a third? Whats going on in the other two thirds? Or have they just booked a 5-a-side pitch? How does this square with that video earlier in the season about improved training conditions?
It is unlikely that on the evenings that we want to train, that a full size pitch is actually available at JMO. It is a very busy and popular venue, not because of it's quality - because it has already been proven to be not up to standard - but, because it is one of the only facilities within miles.
I can remember similar challenges 5-10 years ago when we wanted to train with the old u18s/u21s.
The other two thirds will be occupied by other community hire, such as adult or kids five a side.
The improved training facilities appeared to amount to having access to some of the empty classrooms in the building.
Considering we only train once a week, using our own pitch would surely be the best option.
We have a good pitch now, surely we should be able to use it for training.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Marine? Or one of the other semi-pro teams with artificial pitches within a 20-mile radius?
Redrobe fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Redrobe fan »

Did Jim really mean it?

Maybe Rob could ask him?
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

A belated post from me on Monday's heroic effort.
It pretty much followed the script as I thought it would with Scunthorpe always the more likely winners, and as a pal of mine correctly called after the match "the good teams always score late". I'm a great believer in team's making their own "luck" but it does seem as if the "bounce of the ball" never falls for the struggling side? The last second corner that on another day to another club falls perfectly off the Scunny defender to Tony McMillan, instead of rolling agonizingly past him to their keeper?
Having said that ,it's now a record equalling 12 (twelve) home defeats (2 previous occasions I think) with still one to go and 9 (nine) of those under JB.
Lets hope he gets the chance next season to change those stats because Manager after Manager is struggling to get home results. If the application, desire and grit shown in Monday's game had been shown previously and resulted in just two/three of those home defeats ending up draws, then (some) fans wouldn't still be fretting and looking at the league table?
Back to Monday, and I firmly believe (as SSE touched on) that the withdrawal of Danny Lloyd for those last 10 minutes cost us a point. As soon as he departed, a massive hole appeared on the left side of the pitch which eventually was exploited.
Knit picking here though and a very undeserved defeat ,but that's what you get when you're down that end of the table.

As for preparation for Saturday I'd be wrapping up all the players in "cotton wool" and doing very little physically with them on Thursday? SFC needs every player in the squad prepared for a really hard afternoon in the North East. DISCIPLINE again will be needed as SFC need to give themselves the best possible chance of picking up a result. Substitutions (lets hope we have slightly more than Monday) could again be key and for me we could do with a David Morgan and a Matty Thomson to be available for the bench? The game is big enough to warrant their inclusion if half a chance of contributing?
I asked for the season to be put to bed by the end of the Easter weekend and SFC have nearly (but not quite) achieved that.
One last big push required in the last 3 games..
Ste_B
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Ste_B »

Thought we played well, although probably a fair result. Very Southport.

Deserved man of the match for Danny Lloyd. I was concerned when he signed but he's clearly a much better footballer than the rest. The new lad from Bolton did well when he came on. Wanted the ball, ran with it, looked after it, passed it on - much like Lloyd does. Russ had a very difficult job to do but did it well in the first half.

Matchday experience still rates very low. Another bumper crowd expected and achieved but no effort made off the pitch to make it enjoyable or at least numb the pain. I managed to con somebody into coming along with me with the offer of pie and beer, but they couldn't be arsed queuing for either in the end. We don't need to double our attendances to compete if we can tempt the ones we have into spending more...
DanHayes
Love an AGM me
Love an AGM me

Post by DanHayes »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:53 pm We don't need to double our attendances to compete if we can tempt the ones we have into spending more...
We don't need to tempt them to spend more, they're probably happy to already - we need to stop making it hard for people to give us their money. I know plenty of people, myself included, who would happily spend more but flatly refuse to spend over 20 minutes queuing to buy food, and then over 20 minutes separately queuing to buy a drink.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Agreed. I reckon we could sell twice as much food and drink as we do now if we had proper facilities for it - this is something the club have to sort out this summer.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Ste_B
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Ste_B »

DanHayes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:01 pm
Ste_B wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:53 pm We don't need to double our attendances to compete if we can tempt the ones we have into spending more...
We don't need to tempt them to spend more, they're probably happy to already - we need to stop making it hard for people to give us their money. I know plenty of people, myself included, who would happily spend more but flatly refuse to spend over 20 minutes queuing to buy food, and then over 20 minutes separately queuing to buy a drink.
That's what I was getting at - I just chose 'tempt' as it covers more bases - like if you're charging people £17.50 to get in, offer them something at the turnstile for an extra £2.50 (voucher, programme, raffle ticket, whatever). Good ol' fashioned upselling.

Nothing I've not said before, but if you can get an extra tenner out of everybody in the ground then we're making £230k+ extra a year minus costs.
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:47 pm
We have a good pitch now, surely we should be able to use it for training.
If we went for a 4G pitch, we could train on our home ground to get used to it and also hire it out in the week......

[Retreats to the WUM Bunker]
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I wouldn't be surprised if we did at some point - as much as I don't especially like them it does make sense.
Redrobe fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Redrobe fan »

You'd have to have full time staff on site.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:31 pm I wouldn't be surprised if we did at some point - as much as I don't especially like them it does make sense.
Farsley are digging up their pitch and going 4G, or whatever the newest version is.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Theirs has always been an absolute pudding.