Tommy Lawson

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
puskas
----------
----------

Tommy Lawson

Post by puskas »

I thought I would post this to stop the doom and gloom merchants before they start.

Tonight Tommy Lawson has been unveiled as the new manager of Skelmersdale United.

I have interviewed him for the Ormskirk Advertiser, he is a personal friend too.

He was glowing in the way he spoke about his time with Southport and is very sorry to leave, it was his decision not the clubs. He has left purely because of his love for Skelmersdale United and his intension is to resurrect the club.

He stated that he wouldn't have left Southport if it wasn't Skem. . . It certainly isn't a financial decision and he was full of praise for the way he has been treated and for everyone involved at Haig Avenue and thanked everyone.
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
kiaken
----------
----------

Re: Tommy Lawson

Post by kiaken »

Thanks Tommy and good luck.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

I figured it'd have been as much when it was announced a "familiar face" was returning to Skem as manager. I never got to meet Tommy, but what an outstanding servant of the Club he's been. Without his immense ability to identify talent and his extraordinary record of finding future EFL players, I dread to think where we'd be now, both financially and on the pitch. He will be an enormous loss, and someone who definitely won't be easy to replace.

I'd like to wish him nothing but the best, and hope he can get Skem back to where they should be (and occasionally give Jim a ring if he thinks he's unearthed another gem ;)).
"I have a bad feeling about this" - Han Solo, c.1977
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

I would like to add my thanks to Tommy for all the mikes he has travelled and the hours spent identifying and recommending players . If he is half as good a manager now for skem as he was a scout for us then that club will soon be pushing up the leagues. Thanks Tommy and good luck
Ste_B
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Ste_B »

Thanks Tommy!

I may be wrong, but hasn’t he been most helpful to us, or perhaps more-so to Liam Watson, while managing other clubs?
Ubbe
----------
----------

Post by Ubbe »

David_1276 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:25 pm I figured it'd have been as much when it was announced a "familiar face" was returning to Skem as manager. I never got to meet Tommy, but what an outstanding servant of the Club he's been. Without his immense ability to identify talent and his extraordinary record of finding future EFL players, I dread to think where we'd be now, both financially and on the pitch. He will be an enormous loss, and someone who definitely won't be easy to replace.

I'd like to wish him nothing but the best, and hope he can get Skem back to where they should be (and occasionally give Jim a ring if he thinks he's unearthed another gem ;)).

Had a close and successful working relationship with Liam so this was inevitable really in the long run. Think people don't realise Liam played the more significant part in identifying and scouting many of the major successes we had. Tommy has been a solid go to to have a look at players further down the leagues etc. Wish him well, he had some good players in his original team at skem with some moving over to play for us in the conference and others into the football league.
SteH90
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by SteH90 »

Really classy statement from Andy Burgess on the club website giving full credit to the role Tommy has played
https://southportfc.net/tommy-lawson-departs-sfc/
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Good luck Tommy
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

First met Tommy in my refereeing days in the Skelmersdale Sunday League when he operated the refreshment van at Blaguegate. Think he was involved with Prescott Cables in those days but memory is not what it was. Good luck Tom get Skem going foeward again and all the best and thanks for your input at the Port.