The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Portfan4life
----------
----------
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:48 pm
Contact:

The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Portfan4life »

How can the club change the minds of local residents to support their home town team of Southport ?.

Through the years there has been a real disconnect between the club and the town, some people in this town even hate Southport FC. We need to have a vision and strategy to try and generate more local support and fly the flag for this town.
Formula Port
----------
----------
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Formula Port »

Million dollar question, good luck answering it.
Ste_B
750 posts
750 posts
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Ste_B »

"It's a complete mystery" says the football club that's never asked anybody the question.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 1364
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Win a lot more games.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Redrobe fan
750 posts
750 posts
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:07 pm Win a lot more games.
That's what its all about.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Stratford Excile »

The club need to have an ambition to improve the fortunes of the club moving forward but the public will only buy into it when they see real evidence of improvement.

Remember the Bingham years well the local public certainly rallied around the club them.

The Southport public are fed up with the talk and 5 year plans etc which never come to pass.

Only success on the pitch will bring some of them back.
Portfan4life
----------
----------
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Portfan4life »

The club should be advertised more in the town tho. I get it, win more games is a must but it’s been like this far too many years.
Any Port In A Storm
----------
----------
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:02 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Any Port In A Storm »

Only a Ryan Reynolds type investment and rapid improvement on the pitch will have any effect and even that is no guarantee in this town. The club has been seen as a non entity by the vast majority since 1978 or even earlier. I work with a lot of fanatical football fans of both sexes, most of them Southport born and bred, and nearly all of them have no interest in who Southport are playing on a Friday and less interest in the result on a Monday morning. Too long run by self important blazers and "football people' with egos outstripping their abilities a fairly general opinion.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Unibond Awakes »

We have had several chances since 1978 big time IMO

1/ Board refused the offer to Alliance Premier in 1979 ..unbelievable short sightedness by a club that had been in the FL just one year earlier .This wrecked the gates and almost led to the liquidation of the club in 1981.

2/ Charlie Clapham’s failure to back Brian Kettle our best non league manager (by a country mile) sufficiently once we got up to the Vauxhall Conference in 1993 when in the both of the 2 seasons after we could have won it.This was and remains our best chance since failure of re- election in 1978.

3/ After our 1998 FA trophy final insufficient marketing and profile management was not raised with the Southport Public

4/ Charlie Clapham’s continual failure to encompass new ideas particularly after the promotion of 2010 and what that entailed to be competitive in the National League.”Never again springs to mind “

5/Phil Hodgkinson (who like Charlie Clapham to a certain degree in his 5 year plans)promised the earth then jumped ship barely 19 months later( although in reality it was 15 months as was he was surely likely to be in negotiation with Huddersfield Chairman around the turn if the 2018/19 ) having wasted ( hundreds of) thousands of pounds on nebulous projects.staff and player turnover.He was replaced by Ian Kyle who obviously was left in a very difficult position but ended up being very downbeat and isolated mainly through a lack of board members/ directors

6/ Charlie Clapham's continued failure to cover more of the ground particularly the pop side as promised ( directly to me at an end of season player of the season. 1995.. this would have enhanced the supporters overall experience when watching the Port.

7/ Charlie Clapham failing to fully back Mark Wright 2001 era precipitated relegation in 2003..Wright eventually went onto to Chester who gained promotion back to the FL….


All these add up to alienating supporters of varying ages.. as for the new generation 11 years of utter mediocrity comes swiftly to my mind.


The Results however remain the root cause of the malady that is effecting the towns perception of SFC .



if the likes of Barrow ,Accrington, Morecambe, Harrogate ,Crawley ,Sutton ,Solihull Chorley can progress most of which are smaller towns it tells a disappointing tale!,
Last edited by Unibond Awakes on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redrobe
----------
----------
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 am

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Redrobe »

As others have said there is only one answer win more games, consistently and to the point were we achieve a couple of promotions. Anything else is just window dressing. We have had fixture cards in pubs and other businesses, we have had free entry for youngsters, we have dished out free tickets to schools all to little effect. If we are not winning, they are not coming end of. People talk about improving the match day experience with reference to reducing queues for beer or improving the catering. No one goes to watch a team getting thumped at home every week because the service at the beer van is quick. I watched a piece on Barrow tonight on BBC NWT. Depressing. They fell below us and are now two divisions above us.
Portfan4life
----------
----------
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Portfan4life »

For years the stadium has been neglected and in need of modernisation throughout and that’s just one of Southport’s problems.

When Southport reached the FA Trophy Final in 1998, there was a buzz around the town, which like someone said before Clapham didn’t capitalise on? That’s been the whole problem, it seemed it was Clapham and his Blazer Boyz against the town.
JJWK1302
----------
----------
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:11 am
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by JJWK1302 »

Portfan4life wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:59 pm How can the club change the minds of local residents to support their home town team of Southport ?.

Through the years there has been a real disconnect between the club and the town, some people in this town even hate Southport FC. We need to have a vision and strategy to try and generate more local support and fly the flag for this town.
I personally always thought we the fans have been neglected for soo long with false dreams and hopes and as of recently thought to myself, why dont us the fans do something about this?

I know im going to get a fair few people not agreeing as its port chat, no one can ever agree with eachother on this which I think is also a huge problem in our fanbase as we all chose to almost have these pathetic wars with eachother and are split into sections with not many gettting along or having wrong opinions on others and that aspect of toxicity needs to go.

Back to my main point I feel as though us the fans should get together do something to help boost the gate, like a fundraiser at everygame just put what you can into the bucket or whatever it may be and then someone with that money will then purchase tickets and give them to underprivileged families or schoolkids, just anyone who would want to go but dont have fundings or means to go.

Or even just a basic leaflet just simply telling someone how to get to the ground, yes I know you have google maps etc but lets be realistic here, people who want to go football will want a drink and many people nowadays dont fancy forking out £9 on a taxi if your lucky from birkdale, so simply telling them what bus (46,44) or train to get would do a world of wonders as I feel our high park fanbase is well built and so for our birkdale area and I know a fair few that go the games from them areas but one thing ive not seen is people from churchtown and them following areas.

Im pretty sure I have brung across my point and for everyone crying in my last post about punctuation, yes I did take a breath this time and look ive even done paragraphs (mind blowing I know).
Portfan4life
----------
----------
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Portfan4life »

As fans we should be doing more to get more people through the gate.
User avatar
Olá
----------
----------
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Olá »

Portfan4life wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:19 pm For years the stadium has been neglected and in need of modernisation throughout and that’s just one of Southport’s problems.
I very much agree with that
When Southport reached the FA Trophy Final in 1998, there was a buzz around the town, which like someone said before Clapham didn’t capitalise on? That’s been the whole problem, it seemed it was Clapham and his Blazer Boyz against the town.
User avatar
Olá
----------
----------
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Olá »

JJWK1302 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:47 pm
Portfan4life wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:59 pm How can the club change the minds of local residents to support their home town team of Southport ?.

Through the years there has been a real disconnect between the club and the town, some people in this town even hate Southport FC. We need to have a vision and strategy to try and generate more local support and fly the flag for this town.
I personally always thought we the fans have been neglected for soo long with false dreams and hopes and as of recently thought to myself, why dont us the fans do something about this?

I know im going to get a fair few people not agreeing as its port chat, no one can ever agree with eachother on this which I think is also a huge problem in our fanbase as we all chose to almost have these pathetic wars with eachother and are split into sections with not many gettting along or having wrong opinions on others and that aspect of toxicity needs to go.

Back to my main point I feel as though us the fans should get together do something to help boost the gate, like a fundraiser at everygame just put what you can into the bucket or whatever it may be and then someone with that money will then purchase tickets and give them to underprivileged families or schoolkids, just anyone who would want to go but dont have fundings or means to go.

Or even just a basic leaflet just simply telling someone how to get to the ground, yes I know you have google maps etc but lets be realistic here, people who want to go football will want a drink and many people nowadays dont fancy forking out £9 on a taxi if your lucky from birkdale, so simply telling them what bus (46,44) or train to get would do a world of wonders as I feel our high park fanbase is well built and so for our birkdale area and I know a fair few that go the games from them areas but one thing ive not seen is people from churchtown and them following areas.

Im pretty sure I have brung across my point and for everyone crying in my last post about punctuation, yes I did take a breath this time and look ive even done paragraphs (mind blowing I know).
I know a lot from Churchtown
JJWK1302
----------
----------
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:11 am
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by JJWK1302 »

Olá wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:34 pm
JJWK1302 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:47 pm
Portfan4life wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:59 pm How can the club change the minds of local residents to support their home town team of Southport ?.

Through the years there has been a real disconnect between the club and the town, some people in this town even hate Southport FC. We need to have a vision and strategy to try and generate more local support and fly the flag for this town.
I personally always thought we the fans have been neglected for soo long with false dreams and hopes and as of recently thought to myself, why dont us the fans do something about this?

I know im going to get a fair few people not agreeing as its port chat, no one can ever agree with eachother on this which I think is also a huge problem in our fanbase as we all chose to almost have these pathetic wars with eachother and are split into sections with not many gettting along or having wrong opinions on others and that aspect of toxicity needs to go.

Back to my main point I feel as though us the fans should get together do something to help boost the gate, like a fundraiser at everygame just put what you can into the bucket or whatever it may be and then someone with that money will then purchase tickets and give them to underprivileged families or schoolkids, just anyone who would want to go but dont have fundings or means to go.

Or even just a basic leaflet just simply telling someone how to get to the ground, yes I know you have google maps etc but lets be realistic here, people who want to go football will want a drink and many people nowadays dont fancy forking out £9 on a taxi if your lucky from birkdale, so simply telling them what bus (46,44) or train to get would do a world of wonders as I feel our high park fanbase is well built and so for our birkdale area and I know a fair few that go the games from them areas but one thing ive not seen is people from churchtown and them following areas.

Im pretty sure I have brung across my point and for everyone crying in my last post about punctuation, yes I did take a breath this time and look ive even done paragraphs (mind blowing I know).
I know a lot from Churchtown
are any of these from churchtown under the age of 30?
User avatar
Olá
----------
----------
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Olá »

JJWK1302 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:45 pm
Olá wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:34 pm
JJWK1302 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:47 pm

I personally always thought we the fans have been neglected for soo long with false dreams and hopes and as of recently thought to myself, why dont us the fans do something about this?

I know im going to get a fair few people not agreeing as its port chat, no one can ever agree with eachother on this which I think is also a huge problem in our fanbase as we all chose to almost have these pathetic wars with eachother and are split into sections with not many gettting along or having wrong opinions on others and that aspect of toxicity needs to go.

Back to my main point I feel as though us the fans should get together do something to help boost the gate, like a fundraiser at everygame just put what you can into the bucket or whatever it may be and then someone with that money will then purchase tickets and give them to underprivileged families or schoolkids, just anyone who would want to go but dont have fundings or means to go.

Or even just a basic leaflet just simply telling someone how to get to the ground, yes I know you have google maps etc but lets be realistic here, people who want to go football will want a drink and many people nowadays dont fancy forking out £9 on a taxi if your lucky from birkdale, so simply telling them what bus (46,44) or train to get would do a world of wonders as I feel our high park fanbase is well built and so for our birkdale area and I know a fair few that go the games from them areas but one thing ive not seen is people from churchtown and them following areas.

Im pretty sure I have brung across my point and for everyone crying in my last post about punctuation, yes I did take a breath this time and look ive even done paragraphs (mind blowing I know).
I know a lot from Churchtown
are any of these from churchtown under the age of 30?
Not sure don't go around asking ages
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I think it is unfair to say CC didn't back Wright, didn't we ship a £200k loss that season, while Chester went bust a few years after Wright left?
john riley
----------
----------
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by john riley »

Mr Clapham knockers at it again he actually saved the club. The town has never backed its club it could have been backed better in the Bingham glory days. Who ever owns the club is fighting a losing battle
Hillside Raider
----------
----------
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Hillside Raider »

It's not going to happen overnight & the elephant in the room is that in recent times we have been a struggling team in Division 6 playing a woeful brand of football. I think the football has been better on the eye this season with Bentley but we're still a losing team so you're less likely to attract the casual spectator and then keep them. A winning side could attract regular gates of 1000-1500 imo but we need to accept that we're never going to be a Chester or a Scunthorpe size club in this division.

Lots of suggestions have been made (leaflets in pubs in town, links with schools etc) which may result in an accumulation of small gains over the longer time. Could be worth a punt - who knows?

One small suggestion from myself is that we still have a board on the side of Formby Bypass by Woodvale which used to tell you the date of the the next home game and who we were playing. The permananetly blank board is still there and thousands of people from the town drive past it every single day. For some reason whoever used to sort this a few years stopped doing so (was this a TIY thing?). Free advertising if the club can get this going again.
Post Reply