The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Porty Port
----------
----------

Re: The town’s opinions of Southport FC

Post by Porty Port »

A while back I was at Chapel Street about to get the train back to London after a home game, and one of the station staff asked me which football team my scarf represented - and that was with the 'South' part of the scarf showing! Never crossed his mind that it could have been SFC. I wrote to the club about it, along with some publicity suggestions (eg an SFC next game A-board at the station near the barriers) but I never saw them put into effect
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

We have a large catchment area with the towns population and local areas but its very difficult to publicise the club .The local newspaper has been in existance for longer than us but has a pitiful circulation ,local radio helps a bit but Merseyside despite providing updates on matchdays might be persuaded to publicise upcoming games ,unfortunately due to the present financial situation even if some townspeople support the club they might not be in the position where a game of football comes before paying the bills and cant see when any of this will get better . Looking at Fyldes attendances only regional games are getting bigger crowds it is what it is .
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Porty Port wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 pm A while back I was at Chapel Street about to get the train back to London after a home game, and one of the station staff asked me which football team my scarf represented - and that was with the 'South' part of the scarf showing! Never crossed his mind that it could have been SFC. I wrote to the club about it, along with some publicity suggestions (eg an SFC next game A-board at the station near the barriers) but I never saw them put into effect
This did happen but got took down about 6 months ago for station redesign
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:25 pm Re: EPF's post above.

Retention is definitely a big problem. We need to keep filling the bucket while plugging the gaping hole at the bottom of it. If every group of "Jack Carr Lads" that I've known of still went to games, the Jack Carr would be rammed and bouncing every game. Again, we need to find out why they stopped going and how we can get them back. We can speculate but until we ask these people, we won't know the real reasons why, or how to get them back.
The ones still in the town don't like them as much some of them do some don't and a lot of people have left the town to mainly not come
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Ubbe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:43 pm
JJWK1302 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:56 pm
Ste_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 pm First step would be some market research. Stick a survey online, get out into the town, at the ground, school fairs, community events, and give away a pair of free tickets to anybody that completes a survey. Ask them why they go/why they don't go/why they used to go, what would make them go more etc. Although probably best to do this at a time that we might actually offer some form of entertainment for people (perhaps at the start of the season when hopes are high, and so not to upset a season ticket holder).

We've been shit for a decade and attendances haven't changed much, so while results can definitely make a difference there must be a lot more to it than that. As well as what's stopping people coming, we need to find out from people who do go what it is that keeps them coming back. I suspect it's the community aspect, who they stand/sit with etc - it certainly isn't results or quality football. Ask the existing fans why they still come, and if it is anything but the football then we need to build on that. Find out what age they started coming, why they started coming, ask them if they know people who no longer attend and why.

Any marketing idea without doing any research is just guesswork at what the solution might be.

Aside from that, we should be doing everything we can to collect email addresses and phone numbers from everybody that comes near the club (WhatsApp messages get significantly more conversions than emails). Had someone taken half an hour to set this up a decade ago we'd likely have had access to tens of thousands of peoples contact details. I've bought tickets online, I've been a member, a season ticket holder, a volunteer - the club has my email address and phone number several times over, yet I've never received a promotional email or text from the club, not even to renew my season ticket or membership. I've never been asked my opinion on anything.

Once we do all that, then we can look at what Step Two could be.

Anyway, this has taken up far too much of my afternoon. Hopefully someone with some marketing nouse on the board can put this right.
I really and I mean really love this idea, but we would need a trust or a group of trustees who would be willing to help start this up and not just sit here and talk about doing these things every couple of months, we simply need to take action.

I also think this is where the idea I had of a fundraising campaign to fund the serveys and free tickets would come to action, the question is. Who at this club are we supposed to trust anymore?

If people would be willing to volunteer which im sure alot will, when and how would we organise it?
Genuinely don't think you'd get that many interested in doing it, whole thing is time consuming and I think the attraction for a lot of our fans is you can easily turn up pay to watch and go home.

We have some brillant volunteers at the club already that really keep it alive but Im not sure they would be of the skillset or have the hours outside of what they do already to invest in the above ideas.

For me the only thing that will bring numbers back is success. If we were winning every week or steam rolling the division then momentum would build behind us, word and interest would spread, people would turn
up. Unfortunately for many reasons we are a long way off that currently. I actually have wondered recently with this in mind, would going down a division, as horrific as it sounds, give us as opportunity to do this and reset the club.
I have been a volunteer in the past and want to it again I have been saying it for a while now but Club wants to go slowly about anything even if you offer to do it entirely for them
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:45 pm
Gambo's Left Boot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm If everyone would just bring a friend ....

A sure fire way to end any friendship
I brought a friend to watch us away at Barnet (when I lived in Cambridge), within a year he moved to India....
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Quote: ‘actually have wondered recently with this in mind, would going down a division, as horrific as it sounds, give us as opportunity to do this and reset the club’

Worked for Alty and Tamworth. Doubt it would for us. We’d end up like Workington, a team I remember being above us in the old 4th division.
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:21 am
Gambo's Left Boot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm If everyone would just bring a friend ....

I brought a friend to watch us away at Barnet (when I lived in Cambridge), within a year he moved to India....
India is nicer than southport in my opinion a skip is too
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Porty Port wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 pm A while back I was at Chapel Street about to get the train back to London after a home game, and one of the station staff asked me which football team my scarf represented - and that was with the 'South' part of the scarf showing! Never crossed his mind that it could have been SFC. I wrote to the club about it, along with some publicity suggestions (eg an SFC next game A-board at the station near the barriers) but I never saw them put into effect
There was a fixture list up in the station throughout Merseyrails stadium sponsorship
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

In short I think the game should be played on grass, however 4G pitches seem to be the way to get people in particular youngsters to turn up & play the game, a steady income stream no postponed games a place for people to congregate, as a Grandfather of 2 whose Grandchildren play Football Hockey & Rugby each week on a 4G setting down South, all the people in the know say Youth is the future you need to start from the Young up & build a culture of it being a natural place to attend, only then will the opinion of the Club change the general lack of interest within the Town...cost upwards of £300000 thereby hangs the problem...
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I really and I mean really love this idea, but we would need a trust or a group of trustees who would be willing to help start this up and not just sit here and talk about doing these things every couple of months, we simply need to take action.

I also think this is where the idea I had of a fundraising campaign to fund the serveys and free tickets would come to action, the question is. Who at this club are we supposed to trust anymore?

If people would be willing to volunteer which im sure alot will, when and how would we organise it?
viewtopic.php?t=939
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:38 am

viewtopic.php?t=939
Read it Sand74 is now not doing it and is up for grabs
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:57 am
There was a fixture list up in the station throughout Merseyrails stadium sponsorship
took it down about 8 months ago due to revamp of the platforms at Southport for the new trains
pault
----------
----------

Post by pault »

Olá wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:54 am
Jesus, what a negative comment! I've never been to India (have you), it's an upcoming economy with a space programme, but still has millions of desperately poor people with large areas of crumbling infrastructure, filth in the streets where many take a s***, polluted rivers, etc. And the comparison to a skip... :(
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Olá wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:43 am
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:38 am

viewtopic.php?t=939
Read it Sand74 is now not doing it and is up for grabs
I know. I was replying to someone who wants something doing so maybe they could grab it.
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

pault wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:48 am

Jesus, what a negative comment! I've never been to India (have you), it's an upcoming economy with a space programme, but still has millions of desperately poor people with large areas of crumbling infrastructure, filth in the streets where many take a s***, polluted rivers, etc. And the comparison to a skip... :(
I have not but I do like watching videos of rough places across the the world and something you see most of the people have smiles on their faces and want good can't remember the last time I saw that in southport
PortDan1121
Where's yer 10 points gone?
Where's yer 10 points gone?

Post by PortDan1121 »

Olá wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:26 am
I do like watching videos of rough places across the the world
Is this thread even a real thing or have I had an odd dream?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I have not but I do like watching videos of rough places across the the world and something you see most of the people have smiles on their faces and want good can't remember the last time I saw that in southport
Well if everyone in Southport is that depressed then they're hardly likely to turn up to watch us lose more often than not.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

That's because a fair portion of the dying population of Southport are never happy. Latest crusade? Telephone poles :o
SteH90
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by SteH90 »

PortDan1121 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:32 am
I do like watching videos of rough places across the the world
Is this thread even a real thing or have I had an odd dream?
I know, that post reads like it’s from a comedy sketch!