Scarborough Athletic 0-1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Swedes
----------
----------

Re: Scarborough Athletic 0-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Swedes »

First half we moved the ball quickly, stretched play out wide, and put a lot of decent balls into the box. We were unlucky with some of the bounces of the ball, and really should have gone in ahead. Scarborough struggled to live with us.

Second half, well what a header from Tyler, or at least it appeared a great header from the awful away end Scarborough give us now. After that Scarborough woke up, and started stretching us the way we stretched them. Renshaw put in possibly his best performance for us, making good decisions on when to claim crosses and when to punch them away, and also making some decent saves. For all their possession, most of Scarborough's shots game from distance. Our disallowed goal, well who knows, impossible to tell from the far end. Burgess' sending off, again who knows, but the ref certainly didn't as he was trying to keep up with play and the incident happened behind him.

Some great scenes at full time, a mixture of celebration and relief! Deserved the win for the first half performance alone, but it was the guts of the second half performance that got us over the line.
JohnnyGerana

Post by JohnnyGerana »

I think this starting line up is very close to optimal. Dominated first half and should have had at least two goal lead. What a way to start the second half with a goal Halland would only dream scoring. After that was a scrappy affair. Unfortunately, Burgess knows he is stealing a living here, and his frustration with inability shows. This defensive four is really good and looked less vulnerable than usual. Well done to team and to manager for picking this line up. Today he showed that he is worth his wage. Middle of table, here we come.
Port on the Kent
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Port on the Kent »

Really important win, this puts us 9th in the away league standings... if only we didn't have to bother with Haig Ave.
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

Looks like everyone from Buxton (13th) downwards is in the relegation scrap - most likely for the final relegation place as the bottom 3 are getting cut adrift slightly. Last year we were in a similar place to Buxton and barely picked up another point.
Portfan4life
----------
----------

Post by Portfan4life »

Great result that
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Re: Scarborough Athletic 0-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Scotch Egg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:42 pm
GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:55 pm
Dewsnip wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:42 pm Good formation. Burgess needs to be on for Walton.
Well, that aged well :lol:
And now Burgess sent off...
Football eh? Don't let that Dewsnip anywhere near football punditry :?
SteH90
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by SteH90 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 pm
SteH90 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 pm I doubted Tyler’s contribution on Saturday and he scored the winner away on the Tuesday. A big headed man would claim this as some sort of motivation but I’m not one so I’ll accept I shouldn’t single out players & thank Tyler for his significant contribution tonight!
Oh Lord its hard to be 'umble when your perfect in every way...... :lol:
A sentence I repeat to myself each night ASP! 😆
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

David999 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:34 pm I suffered with other Port fans at Chorley - but watching the stream tonight the big difference was being first to every ball - the whole team put in a shift and earned the win - edge of seat stuff - looks like kings Lynn will pull out of the mess so two more teams beneath us is useful tonight - brilliant !
Totally agree. The worry, and what a worry to have, was going in level after being so dominant in that first half! Could not bear to watch the 2nd half (not least because the ref couldn't hear me shouting at him). Would have taken a draw before KO, but would have been disappointed if we had not won, after that 1st half showing. Whatever was said / worked on after Chorley certainly made a difference.
We made Scarbados look poor. Nice work.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Their Manager said we could have been 3-4 goals up at half time. So we will take the 1-0.
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

Realistically, we had 2 centre halves whose natural level is a step up from NLN and 2 full backs who are defenders first and foremost. For all the stick he's had at times, Renshaw is a good keeper at this level too. That's a more solid base than in most games this year.

Once again, pre-season recruitment is in the spotlight. I like Harry Flowers but is he actually better than Chris Doyle? Sass didn't work out and Tommo struggles defensively. If we do stay up, we need to make sure we have a back four who we can trust not to habitually ship soft goals.
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Seen the header on the Facebook page, it's a screamer!
Redrobe fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Redrobe fan »

What’s happened to Sam Billington?
Yellow81
----------
----------

Post by Yellow81 »

Great win to ease the pressure , now lets back it up on saturday as we try to move away from the trapdoor.
Pleased for Renshaw as i think he receives some unfair stick he was player of the year at Curzon last season and the back four has struggled all season more so since Anson's injury.
Hat Trick Patrick
----------
----------

Post by Hat Trick Patrick »

PortInTheSouth
Love a bit of the old futbology me
Love a bit of the old futbology me

Post by PortInTheSouth »

As a few said on Tuesday, very interesting that the referee was able to give a red card decision without actually watching the incident. The highlights clearly show he is watching the game progress. Unless the lino is mic'd up with the ref and has seen it, there's no way he can give it. Suspect he's just gone with the crowd.
As I said, it is what it is. And what it is is a southern softie wind up merchant
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

That was farcical. Burgess and Scarbo' man come together, if anything the opponent brings Burgess down. No way even a yellow card for either player. There is no coverage of what happens next, play moves on, referee is following play ( which is fair enough). Then we see another Scarbo' player remonstrating with Burgess and the first guy on the deck.
That alone is clearly not reason for a card of either colour.
Maybe the lino saw what happened but unlikely, they usually only look for offsides. Unless he did, the card should be appealed and in absence of any evidence of anything actually happening, it should be overturned. But it's unlikely that the lino will risk his reputation, he'll just bluff and the card will stand.
Paulisi
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by Paulisi »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 pm What’s happened to Sam Billington?
Injured and not good enough
Paulisi
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by Paulisi »

Gambo's Left Boot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:47 am Looks like everyone from Buxton (13th) downwards is in the relegation scrap - most likely for the final relegation place as the bottom 3 are getting cut adrift slightly. Last year we were in a similar place to Buxton and barely picked up another point.
Have a look at National League - 11th place is 4pts from safety...
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Never been a referee and obviously it’s a very tough job. That said, I would think the first rule of reffing is “don’t guess/you can only give what you see”. He might have seen the very start of the tussle, but then he’s turned his back so he’s guessed what has happened after that.

Saying that, Marcus should have been sent off a few weeks ago for the same thing, but the ref didn’t see it. Maybe it’s evened out there.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

So Burgess is now banned for 3 games?