Scarborough Athletic 0-1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Route66
----------
----------

Re: Scarborough Athletic 0-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Route66 »

What a relief. Hopefully kick on from here. Well done to all !!!
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Magnificent performance, and a huge result with King's Lynn also winning. Some good saves and punches from Renshaw, Arthur and Hockenhull excellent at the back, and every midfielder improved massively - they all looked at home where they were playing. Lloyd has really lifted us. Carver could have had a couple of goals but led the line brilliantly. Horrible last few minutes with a right-back on a booking at left-back and then Burgess' red card (miracle recovery from the Scarborough lad when the physio appeared...) but we actually saw it out very well.

Let's back it up on Saturday!
Last edited by Ronnie Hotdogs on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

What a result. Well done port.
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

Fabulous result. Well done to Jim, Andy and the lads.
portexile
----------
----------

Post by portexile »

Another one stop forward one step back. Following Port is really a roller-coaster ride! Crazy
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Phew we needed that win ,great result ,good commentary perfect evening .
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Our lack of confidence is showing not surprising really, we should have been clear by Half time & the disallowed goal looked good...but Beggars can't be choosers massive 3 points, Arthur & Hockenhull looked the business at the back Quasah & Renshaw did well too..if we could keep the ball longer & show a bit more discipline we should improve, stupid sending off at that time of the match...
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Just need to back it up, couple of six pointers in the weeks ahead, just need to get into that group 4-6 points ahead of us, get into a crowd for some safety!
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Get in there. We were totally dominant for 60 minutes, capitalised and then defended like our lives depended on it. This must surely be the first 'double' we've done over a decent team in the league in several seasons?

Renshaw MOTM, Lloyd had a great game too but everyone put a great shift in and got what they deserved. This system, when we have all of our players back, will be extremely dangerous to any team at this level and Lloyd ensures we have a constant attacking focal point and another leader in the opposition half. If we play like that every week from now until the end of the season, relegation-dodging will be a formality. A proper hard-fought win. What on earth was Burgess doing though?

P.S the commentary from the Scarborough stream's commentator actually sent me to sleep for a brief while some time during the first half, so I think he'd possibly be better suited to reading out bedtime stories on CeeBeebies than talking about football.
Last edited by David_1276 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have a bad feeling about this" - Han Solo, c.1977
Redrobe fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Redrobe fan »

What was he sent off for?
Paulisi
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by Paulisi »

Still really tight for that last relegation place.
Saturday is another huge game - must get points...
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Why was Burgess sent off?
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Route66 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:54 pm Why was Burgess sent off?
It wasn't really shown on the stream, but apparently he shoved the Scarborough centre half to the floor at some point when the ball was dead. Referee saw it and deemed it a sending off offence - losing your head when the rest of your team is doggedly defending a 1-0 lead is completely stupid and I hope Bentley makes that clear.
"I have a bad feeling about this" - Han Solo, c.1977
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I don't see how the ref can have seen anything. The camera missed it, but the defender went down holding his face, then miraculously recovered when the red card was flashed and the physio appeared.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Scarborough must hate playing us - we’ve won 3 and drawn 1 since they were promoted. Couldn’t make or stream it tonight but sounds like a good performance.

Tyler Walton scoring in a 1-0 win at Scarborough, sounds like it’s March 2023 all over again. Although that was our last win of last season, so hopefully not!
PortInTheSouth
Love a bit of the old futbology me
Love a bit of the old futbology me

Post by PortInTheSouth »

A fantastic result and a very enjoyable day. The game could have been out of sight before half time in all honesty and I did fear the worst when we went in at 0-0, but up steps Walton just 2 minutes after the break to give us all 3 - arguably one of the tougher chances!

Playing like that until the end of the season would mean we'd be in no worry of the drop come April.

PS. The lucky shorts are back!!!
As I said, it is what it is. And what it is is a southern softie wind up merchant
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

The referee was looking towards the Southport goal when Burgess did whatever he did, yet flashed a red without even consulting his linesman.
May well have been a red card - no idea - but bonkers just to have a guess!
Anyway, brilliant Port performance to a man. I thought Quansah especially did really well after coming out of the cold and Hockenhull is a class act. Scarborough had a decent crowd but by God it was quiet in there - which made it noticeable how much Danny Lloyd was vocally orchestrating things on the pitch. We've not had a loud voice on the pitch for ages. Makes all the difference.
SteH90
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by SteH90 »

I doubted Tyler’s contribution on Saturday and he scored the winner away on the Tuesday. A big headed man would claim this as some sort of motivation but I’m not one so I’ll accept I shouldn’t single out players & thank Tyler for his significant contribution tonight!
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

SteH90 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 pm I doubted Tyler’s contribution on Saturday and he scored the winner away on the Tuesday. A big headed man would claim this as some sort of motivation but I’m not one so I’ll accept I shouldn’t single out players & thank Tyler for his significant contribution tonight!
Oh Lord its hard to be 'umble when your perfect in every way...... :lol:
David999
----------
----------

Post by David999 »

I suffered with other Port fans at Chorley - but watching the stream tonight the big difference was being first to every ball - the whole team put in a shift and earned the win - edge of seat stuff - looks like kings Lynn will pull out of the mess so two more teams beneath us is useful tonight - brilliant !