Re: Torquay to enter administration

Post by Olá »

Rochdale to got 6 weeks to get a 2 million pound investment
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

The amount of clubs flirting with financial trouble is food for thought. Ambition is important but my feeling right now is that it's vital we stay up this season and the current owners of SFC manage to get on top of our own financial issues, which do make for stark reading. Clubs like Torquay and Rochdale have bigger fanbases and a bigger name than ourselves but it hasn't stopped them getting into bother.
Gloucester man
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Gloucester man »

An at best poor , absent owner. The fans have been at him for a while, property developers need i say more.
They have a history in the west country, Eastville, Swindon speedway stadium etc etc.
Torquay will hopefully survive, I think property developers need to be monitored far more ask Southend fans too!
Gloucester man
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Gloucester man »

Gary Johnson has just left by mutual consent.
portexileinbath
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

Gloucester man wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm Gary Johnson has just left by mutual consent.
I doubt he will be unemployed for long, he's far too good a manager for that.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

portexileinbath wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:59 pm
Gloucester man wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm Gary Johnson has just left by mutual consent.
Suggest you read the Torquay fans message board! Not what they think.

I'd agree that he has had a good career but it sounds like his age ( 68 years old) and ego have in recent times got the better of him.

What I thought was awful was when they were relegated last season, he actually told the fans how it was good because now they'd have 2 local derbies v Truro at the Festive Season!!! As if Torquay ever wanted to play Truro as equals.
PortInTheSouth
Love a bit of the old futbology me
Love a bit of the old futbology me

Post by PortInTheSouth »

I watch a bit of Torquay with living down South and knowing a couple of people from work who follow them. Safe to say, it's a very toxic atmosphere there at the minute - Gary Johnson has been pretty unpopular for the majority of the season by a wide proportion of the fanbase with some feeling he should've been sacked when they were in the relegation scarp last season. It must just be me who's an enjoyer of poor footballing sides playing in yellow...
As I said, it is what it is. And what it is is a southern softie wind up merchant
portexileinbath
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

becbee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:11 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:59 pm
Suggest you read the Torquay fans message board! Not what they think.

I'd agree that he has had a good career but it sounds like his age ( 68 years old) and ego have in recent times got the better of him.

What I thought was awful was when they were relegated last season, he actually told the fans how it was good because now they'd have 2 local derbies v Truro at the Festive Season!!! As if Torquay ever wanted to play Truro as equals.
Fair comment.

I think the comment about Truro was possibly tongue in cheek !. The main problem Torquay have is geographical, for a "big" club this is not an issue but for lower and non league clubs travel costs to games takes a much higher proportion of revenue.
I just hope they stay afloat because I look forward to the day when I head down there to watch Port play them,
portexileinbath
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

PortInTheSouth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:39 am I watch a bit of Torquay with living down South and knowing a couple of people from work who follow them. Safe to say, it's a very toxic atmosphere there at the minute - Gary Johnson has been pretty unpopular for the majority of the season by a wide proportion of the fanbase with some feeling he should've been sacked when they were in the relegation scarp last season. It must just be me who's an enjoyer of poor footballing sides playing in yellow...
Go on admit it, you just like the feeling of sand between your toes and whelks with vinegar & pepper 😉