Carl Soloman

Southport 1-2 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by cavjj »

Falkland yellow
----------
----------

Re: Southport V Hereford - Match Thread

Post by Falkland yellow »

Bulls only have 3 subs? If accurate could be significant.
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Presume Jack Doyle is injured?
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Route66 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:17 pm Presume Jack Doyle is injured?
Yes went off at Scarborough
portexile
----------
----------

Re: Southport 0-1 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by portexile »

Down to 10 again. So a win on the way for Port.
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Re: Southport 0-1 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

Unbelievable display from the men in black. The liner appears to be the only person in the ground who thought the ball crossed the line for their goal, and Danny Lloyd's sending off came from a piece of BAFTA winning acting from their number 28.

For the first half hour we played some cracking stuff without converting a chance. The goal, the sending off and Hereford's mastery of the dark arts have dragged us down to their level.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Re: Southport 1-2 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

So glad I paid my £13.50 to watch a superb display of officiating. I also learnt that if any part of the ball is on the goal line, a goal should be awarded to the attacking team. And further to that, if the defending goalkeeper wipes out his own player with an attacker nowhere near, a free kick should be given to the defending team instead of allowing the attacking team to tap the ball into the net. Finally, if the referee is not watching the game and a defending player throws himself to the ground, but his teammates surround the referee en masse, the non-offending attacking player should be sent from the field of play.

The yellow team played well too, but thankfully the officials put a stop to that nonsense.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Must have been a swarm of mosquitos stinging the Hereford players in the face. I can't think of any other explanation for them repeatedly falling over clutching their faces.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

The kind of officiating where you question whether it goes beyond ineptness. Hereford photographer got a glorious set of images showing their first hadn’t crossed the line. Their second came from a goal kick that should have been a corner.
Don’t get me started on the free kick he handed Hereford after their keeper and defender clattered each other, with Keenan about to square for a goal.
And Danny Lloyd - two red cards in five days from referees who have been looking the other way.
Jim will do well to control his anger in the post match if my frustration is anything to go by. I’m fed up of going to games where the outcome, either way, is essentially the referee.
We played well today. It hurts.
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Absolute travesty of a result. The main stand linesman cost us the the two goals (it wasn't over the line and the ball went out for a corner carried over by their keeper, before they broke away and scored the referee wasn't looking when their guy fell over having never been touched!!!
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Didn't deserve to lose that. By far the better football team.

Cheating hereford divers and atrocious ref and unbelievable bad linesman made it a farce. These people could cost us a place in this league and its not acceptable. Their fans were pretty scummy too.
Port on the Kent
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Port on the Kent »

Fed up of watching matches where the result is determined by the officials. Might as well save our time and let them decide the outcome before kick off.

Nobody in white appealed that it was over the line, not even a speculative arm raised. Only one man thought it was. Apparently there is evidence showing he got it wrong. I don't even know what he thought he saw, as he was on Renshaw's side and he caught the ball to the right of him, it would he impossible for any linesman on that side to see because Renshaw's body would be obscuring the view.

It does need saying though, it shouldn't have needed a last ditch save to keep it out. A nothing second ball dollied in, Renshaw assumes Flowers will deal with it, he somehow doesn't, then it needs a desperate fly across goal. It should have been dealt with by either Flowers committing or Renshaw coming out and claiming.

We had two really good chances before that, Carver was free ten yards out and put over then Lloyd had a good shot saved, but for me he should go across the keeper.

Then the hilarious scene of the Hereford keeper running into his own defender and both going down. Referee quite rightly gives nothing, ball drops to Keenan who has an empty net and then the ref blows for a foul because the keeper stays down. This tactic of defending crosses by hitting the ground and holding your head is so obvious now, everyone who watches NLN football is wise to it apart from officials? I blame Alfreton for starting it, but how can it not be identified as gamesmanship by referees now?

The red card I didn't see. But more importantly, neither did the ref. The incident happened, the referee again gives nothing and about ten second pass, then the ball goes out and Hereford surround him and it's a red. If he had consulted with the linesman who had seen something that may explain it, but he doesn't. He has absolutely guessed and gone off the reaction of players. The referee looked about 15 and I have no idea how he's reached this level.

Hereford then had chances to make it two before they eventually did. They were on top with the extra man and could have scored earlier. Couple of great saves. Then when they do score, we should have a corner when their keeper carries it over the line. Not given and they score from the boot up field.

We didn't really do enough in the second half, Carver pulled one back and Quansah had a good effort but we were stifled by a "streetwise" Hereford to put it politely. Last ten minutes the referee seemed to realise what was happening, they repeatedly threw themselves to the ground and he didn't buy it... 80 minutes too late.

Very very frustrating day, but the performance was good in parts and with a different set of officials we run out winners.
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:39 pm Didn't deserve to lose that. By far the better football team.

Cheating hereford divers and atrocious ref and unbelievable bad linesman made it a farce. These people could cost us a place in this league and its not acceptable. Their fans were pretty scummy too.
Definitely their fans are disgusting
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

I'm all for protecting referees but that gang of bandits deserve every last bit of abuse they get and more besides. I think that was just about the worst officiating I've ever seen at Haig Ave, and believe me I've seen some shite. Not one, but two cataclysmic errors with a litany of smaller ones throughout. I really hope they never get to officiate again and are struck off for that utterly farcical display. We played well and deserved to win but because we didn't have any snipers aimed at our players, shooting them down whenever there was a modicum of danger we've come away looking like we've deserved to lose. "Dark arts" can only go so far to describe Hereford's performance, the rest was blatant cheating. For such a high standard of football, you'd hope that sort of shite would've been kicked out a long time ago.
"I have a bad feeling about this" - Han Solo, c.1977
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

We played pretty well, particularly in the first half hour, but it's almost pointless talking about the players, which I am sure will delight Mr Warner and colleagues - there is no way we could possibly have won that game given what we were up against. Surreally bad officiating.

First half - first minute - Walton stamped on by Hereford full-back in front of linesman, leading to his substitution - linesman gives nothing. Robbed of a shot at an open goal by an atrocious bit of refereeing when the Hereford keeper flapped at a cross when his own player jumped into him, and then did the "head injury" con keepers do when they've dropped a bollock. Ref bought it hook line and sinker.

A goal is then given against us immediately after an unbelievable save from Renshaw, there is apparently clear photographic evidence it didn't cross the line and no-one else seemed to think it did.

Second half: Lloyd sent off for an off the ball incident none of the officials can possibly have seen, because no-one else in the ground did either. Another dying swan/miraculous recovery act, from Howkins this time. Three-game ban.

Injury time: the ball goes about two yards over the line for a Southport corner, which the linesman does not give - the eagle eyes from the first half seemed to desert him. Hereford go up and score.

We score, then have a free-kick in the last seconds of the game. The keeper flaps again, and as the ball is flying towards the goal the linesman gives offside despite no Southport player having touched the ball and two Hereford defenders on the goal-line throughout.

This is not to mention every other marginal decision which went against Southport. Hereford seemed incredibly friendly with the officials, lots of arm-patting and friendly chatting, but they were probably no more shithouse than most NLN teams - the difference today was that the officials accepted every single bit of it at face value whether they saw it or not.

A masterclass in what you can only hope was incompetence.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Paulisi
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by Paulisi »

siddle wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:27 pm The kind of officiating where you question whether it goes beyond ineptness. Hereford photographer got a glorious set of images showing their first hadn’t crossed the line. Their second came from a goal kick that should have been a corner.
Don’t get me started on the free kick he handed Hereford after their keeper and defender clattered each other, with Keenan about to square for a goal.
And Danny Lloyd - two red cards in five days from referees who have been looking the other way.
Jim will do well to control his anger in the post match if my frustration is anything to go by. I’m fed up of going to games where the outcome, either way, is essentially the referee.
He also waved away a blatant penalty when Morgan hacked down their striker towards the end of the first half.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:19 pm
siddle wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:27 pm The kind of officiating where you question whether it goes beyond ineptness. Hereford photographer got a glorious set of images showing their first hadn’t crossed the line. Their second came from a goal kick that should have been a corner.
He also waved away a blatant penalty when Morgan hacked down their striker towards the end of the first half.
I'm glad you said that, I thought it was just me that saw it!
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

I saw it too, thought the Hereford player threw himself over Morgan’s leg to be honest. Which, in keeping with the rest of the game, is probably correct.
Paulisi
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by Paulisi »

Strange game, even with multiple questionable decisions from the ref.They had all the best chances, but we could easily have got something out of the game.

I have to question the choice of sub after Walton's injury. We had set up 4-3-2-1 and then brought a defender on, when we could have kept the same formation using Burgess and put Hmami into Walton's position.
I thought we played some good football in the first half, but it only created a few half chances. Morgan ran out of gas after 50 mins. Hmami not much longer after.
As for the defence, great when we play a high line, however we don't attack the ball or take responsibility in the area. Flowers will not attack the ball unless it is above head height and within 2 yards of him.

Hmami booked for mouthing off again and we are now short in midfield, with Lloyd and Burgess suspended, Walton injured and Heath out on loan.
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

We Wuz Robbed no one knew what had happened until the Hereford player grabbed the ball and took it to the centre circle after what was obviously not a goal ,leaving the Hereford supporters to celebrate the goal at the restart rather than celebrate the goal that never was at the time it was allegedly scored .Their second goal came from the obvious corner we didnt get ,why no bookings for simulation when Port players got a card for being in the vicinity of an opposing player who happened to have fallen over ,was there really an assault by Lloyd ?We have no one to investigate now Holmes, and Watson have gone . On a brighter note we were the better side today and the result should have been different but it is what it is -but today it shouldnt have been.The stewards didnt find the pyrotechnic on the way in ,should the game have been stopped while it was being removed ,or did the officials not see it ? Policing was good they stopped an after match march to the away end just by being there .