Southport 1-2 Hereford - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Fogbell
----------
----------

Re: Southport 1-2 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by Fogbell »

No matter what you think of the ref today that’s 3 games recently with a man sent off.
Lloyd looked great other teams will target him to try and get him sent off or injured as he stands out already as our best player I hope he can handle it.
I agree Hereford were diving and screaming all over the place and the ref was poor but ultimately we dont score enough of our chances. It’s a tough league I am sure Jim will make us tougher
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

Sandgrounder SE I very much doubt you were at the game today so obviously don`t know what your talking about. Those criticising three sending off I suggest you watch the highlights of todays match and that against Brackley when Marcus Carver was himself fouled and a poor decision was made as a result. Lloyd was today sent off by the referee on the hearsay of Hereford players, as an ex referee I know the laws of the game if you don`t see it you can`t take action and this idiot did not consult either of his assistants and had his back when the so called incident occurred. I`m sick of going to Haig Avenue and watching these poorly trained egotistical jumped up half wits ruin a football match. It`s time the FA did something about it because every level of the game is suffering through their bad management.
Port on the Kent
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Port on the Kent »

I've already said I disagree with the key decisions, but what we can't get away from is that we should have already been in front. Carver and Lloyd missed golden chances. That is nobody else's fault.

In this league, if you go behind at home then you're in for it. Every team is drilled in the 'dark arts' and there is only one effective way to stop it... go in front.

We should have been at least a goal up before any of this kicked off. The reason why teams at the top of the league seem immune to being hard done by, is they take their chances.

First forty minutes I thought we controlled the game and looked good. Hereford never had a shot. We had some good interplay between the likes of Philliskirk, Morgan, Hmami. I was impressed. But the end result of that good play was no goals. That ain't the ref's fault.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:42 pm Quansah may have worked hard and got up and down the line, but he is technically much poorer that the others in his control and passing and is not a natural in our new style of play
Absolute rubbish, he has good control ,he didn’t make a bad pass he can cross a ball his heading is OK and he had the best shot of the day from distance after making a good run.
He along with Heath should have played a lot more.
Port on the Kent
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Port on the Kent »

cobby7 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:50 pm
Paulisi wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:42 pm Quansah may have worked hard and got up and down the line, but he is technically much poorer that the others in his control and passing and is not a natural in our new style of play
Absolute rubbish, he has good control ,he didn’t make a bad pass he can cross a ball his heading is OK and he had the best shot of the day from distance after making a good run.
He along with Heath should have played a lot more.
Agreed, I have criticised Quansah for not being good enough technically, but today he was good. Didn't waste the ball, when he was involved in attacking moves he played his part. Thought he did well in possession.

It was Flowers and Hockenhull who resorted to hit and hope most often.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

It was blatant cheating by their team full stop.
I can only think of two incidents when our players went down Walton who was carried off and Quansah for a head clash both legitimate.
Their whole team took it in turns to go down squirming on the floor but none of them went off injured.
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

cobby7 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:00 am It was blatant cheating by their team full stop.
I can only think of two incidents when our players went down Walton who was carried off and Quansah for a head clash both legitimate.
Their whole team took it in turns to go down squirming on the floor but none of them went off injured.
And they're a point off the playoffs and we're scrapping for our lives against relegation. Sadly, in this league, some if the difference between 8th and 18th is having mastered 'game management' and playing the ref.

When Arnie was at it up front for us, I was happy enough to turn a blind eye...
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Even if we're shit, that fact wasn't the one that lost us today's game. We may have missed chances but we'd have got a whole lot more if Walton hadn't been poleaxed, Lloyd hadn't been wrongly sent off and their first goal didn't stand. That much is clear.
"I have a bad feeling about this" - Han Solo, c.1977
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Keenan was clearly the best outfield player on the pitch!
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

siddle wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:06 am Keenan was clearly the best outfield player on the pitch!
I think that's generous - but he certainly had a good game and looked more composed and technically better than most.

The substitution at the start confused me. Tyler went off - I'd have thought Burgess a more obvious swap. Instead Flowers came on, we had to change shape and unsurprisingly he looked shaky throughout. The lad is in his second successive relegation scrap and has no confidence. Better for him to be out of the firing line for a bit.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

It's even worse on the highlights, and they don't even show half of the shite we copped yesterday. We absolutely have to appeal that red card, because it's ridiculous.

Howkins was interviewed by their media and at least had the decency to look a bit sheepish about the horrendous cheating.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

“He brushed my face so I went down to give the referee a decision to make.”
Staggering. Hope we do appeal.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Howkins is wrestling Lloyd and he is appealing to the referee - it just gets more and more baffling that he ends up guessing at a red every time you see it. Hereford can't have believed their luck really.

If we lose Lloyd for three games for this then there really is something dodgy going on.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

“Went down to give the referee a decision to make” - cheated then? What did Danny brush his face with, his arse? Because he didn’t raise his hands to his face. We still won’t win the appeal though.

I was always under the impression surrounding the referee resulted in a booking. The ref was intimidated by their players, running away from them twice before sending Danny off.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

I know it’s said that appealing is fruitless but in this instance we’ve not only got footage but the Hereford player’s post match admission. Surely it would be rescinded?
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

From our vantage point in the Mainstand we could not see if the Ball had crossed the line for the first goal, or whether Danny Lloyd made contact with the defender did anyone see both incidents definitely or not, if there is evidence from a photograph or Video I would appeal for certain. Regarding the sendings off on Tuesday last & yesterday the Referee must have had his attention drawn to the incidents from a Linesman, surely a defender play acting is not evidence...it did appear on both counts that the ref had his back to both incidents..
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Referee did not consult linesmen yesterday or on Tuesday. Both were guesswork.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

siddle wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:46 pm Referee did not consult linesmen yesterday or on Tuesday. Both were guesswork.
Are you guessing too??
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

No he isn’t, on neither occasion did the ref approach the linesman, nor are the refs in audio contact with their assistants at our level.
portexile
----------
----------

Post by portexile »

The bottom line is....and let's be honest...SFC are just no good at football. Simple!