Southport 1-2 Hereford - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Re: Southport 1-2 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by Scotch Egg »

In real time I could only see Renshaw and he did look as if he'd fallen quite far back. I thought it was gonna be close but it would be hard to give it because the linesman couldn't see the ball. Has he given it on the fact Renshaw's upper body is quite far over the line? Despite what I thought at the time, it really isn't close to being a goal.
Olá
----------
----------

Post by Olá »

Stratford Excile wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:47 pm
siddle wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:23 pm Eurgh.
Wasn't even close to crossing the line.
https://twitter.com/_StephenKillen/stat ... 17/photo/1

Perhaps those moron Hereford supporters should go to Specsavers as soon as possible.

How could they possibly say it was over the line when they were at the other end of the ground??
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... 3Fpage%3D3
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

I doubt they`ll do it but the FA should order this game to be replayed, it was done some years ago in the Premier Division. It`s obvious the Assistant who awarded the goal could not have seen if all the ball had crossed the line because of Chris Renshaws body position. The Port have definitely got a case here for this game to be called null and void in fact if they don`t do it it shows how weak and corrupt they are.
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

old gold and black wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:06 pm I doubt they`ll do it but the FA should order this game to be replayed, it was done some years ago in the Premier Division. It`s obvious the Assistant who awarded the goal could not have seen if all the ball had crossed the line because of Chris Renshaws body position. The Port have definitely got a case here for this game to be called null and void in fact if they don`t do it it shows how weak and corrupt they are.
I have to say I think that might be a bit hysterical. It's a terrible decision and there might be precedent for replaying a match, but it just opens a can of worms about every time the officials make a wrong decision. Would you replay every time a goal is allowed to stand despite being offside? Or if there is a foul not given in the build up? Goalline technology was brought in precisely for scenarios like we saw on Saturday but we don't have it at this level and we probably never will so the chance for mistakes to be made will always be there. I just don't think we can expect a whole fixture to be replayed because of it.

I'm also not convinced it's worth appealing the sending off. Regardless of the play-acting or any provocation, if you raise your arms to an opponent, as Danny himself told Jim he did (albeit at his chest), you're in trouble by the letter of the law. I don't like refs making decisions based on guesswork, though.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

We have to appeal the red card, it's an atrocious decision which could deprive us of a very good player for three games during a relegation scrap.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

We should appeal the red card, the match will not be replayed 😂
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

How about the fans having a whip-round to pay for the appeal, particularly as the Hereford player has stated that he was play acting. I’ll happily stick £20 into the pot.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Looing at the highlights, I think an appeal has no chance. The Hereford player is all over him but Lloyd does appear to 'lash-out' at him. They only rescind for a clear and obvious error in the officiating.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

I don't think on any ground it meets the definition of violent conduct.

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.
In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

Given the Hereford player talks of a brush off the face, that probably amounts to it being 'negligible'.
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

You might be right about the definition, but successful appeals are notoriously hard to achieve and they usually rely on a blatantly obvious error having been made. In this case, there's enough ambiguity caused by the raising of arms that, whether it qualifies as violent conduct or not, it's almost certainly not going to be overturned.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

All he's doing is trying to shrug him off because he is being wrestled, there is no "violence" involved. The idea that that is worth a red card and a three game ban is ridiculous, especially as the referee didn't see it. If he had he wouldn't have sent him off.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Oh to clarify it's a very harsh sending off - and it's madness he'll be out for three games. Scotch said what I was trying to - there's no way they're rescinding it because he makes a deliberate movement towards the player.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I'm not sure he does. There is no "violent conduct" there and Howkins has as good as said there wasn't - we have to at least try and get this overturned, but I share your pessimism.
Portoldie
----------
----------

Post by Portoldie »

My eyes may have deceived me but I thought the referee flashed the red card for a second time after Danny tried to argue his case. If so, he could receive a lengthier ban for failing to leave the field of play. That really would add insult to injury.
DanHayes
Love an AGM me
Love an AGM me

Post by DanHayes »

After watching the highlights back Im wondering whether we're missing the point on their first goal.
My view at the time was that regardless of whether it was over the line or not, the 1 person with the worst view in the ground was the linesman who gave it because Renshaw's body was between him and the ball.
However, the debates about Jake Wardle's try in the world club challenge on Saturday night have made me think about it again...
That was all about whether the ball touched the try line (it did - he was then pushed away from it by the defending players) and there is no disputing that when Chris Renshaw grounded the ball it was Infront of the line....there's photographic proof of that...but this isn't Rugby - the rule isn't whether it was over the line when it touched the floor.
The question isn't "could the linesman see the ball over the line when Renshaw had it on the floor" it was "did it fully cross the line at any point in the movement". As he caught the ball in the air before he brought it to the floor it therefore could have gone over the line before he grounded it. We've no motion camera to be able to see for certain and i think it's incredibly unlikely that the linesman could say with any certainty that it definitely went fully over the line. It was a guess. And it was one of a number of guesses made by the officials. They were just as piss poor as some of our finishing.
Author: "The Town's Game: The Origins of Rugby and Association Football in Southport (1872-1889)", available to buy on Amazon from £4.99.
Editor: www.southportcentral.co.uk
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Hereford cut the sending off from their 10-minute highlights package. Wonder why...
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Portoldie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:35 pm My eyes may have deceived me but I thought the referee flashed the red card for a second time after Danny tried to argue his case. If so, he could receive a lengthier ban for failing to leave the field of play. That really would add insult to injury.
I’m pretty sure you can’t send someone off twice.

The referee can include a player refusing to leave the field in his report, however.
Ste_B
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Ste_B »

As we’ve seen many times with VAR lately, a ball that looks to have entirely crossed the line often hasn’t. This didn’t even look close to crossing it.

The decision to award a foul on the goalkeeper is bad. Only explanation could be that the referee saw a foul by our player (Carver?) on the defender nearby moments before the keeper catches, falls and drops the ball at our feet.

The sending off is impossible to tell from the highlights, but at least the referee has a chance of seeing this incident - unlike the sending off on Tuesday.

Referees at this level are ruining what’s already a fairly shit experience.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

He definitely, definitely wasn't looking at it when it happened.
Ste_B
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Ste_B »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:33 pm He definitely, definitely wasn't looking at it when it happened.
You seem very certain. Have you been sharing adoring glances with the referees again?