Carl Soloman

Southport 0-0 P'borough Sports - Match Thread

Post by cavjj »

Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Re: Southport 0-0 P'borough Sports - Match Thread

Post by Scotch Egg »

An uneventful first half. Poor match in truth. Think we've had more pressure but Sports have looked dangerous on the break. They've had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for a foul on Renshaw. Not sure I saw a foul, to be honest. We've missed one gilt edged chance. Need to up the tempo in the second half.
Exiled Port Fan
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Refreshing the page ahead of us conceding the inevitable late goal to lose....
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Played OK,missed the chance of the game most people watching who have played Sunday morning football probably would have scored,.....hey ho
How many goals have we scored at the Scarisbrick end?......4.....no words
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

Decent performance but a big chance missed to get three points. Three golden chances missed could really cost us.
SteH90
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by SteH90 »

Not a bad performance, we earned the point but if you keep a clean sheet at home you should be winning. Hmami in particular guilty for missing a chance in each half that were the result of excellent quick passing. The second half one troubled the advertising hoarding on the Jack Carr more than the keeper,
We just have to take chances when they arise. Good to see Quansah get Player of the Match and Archer get some minutes. Keep it as tight at the back, create the same chances at Warrington and hope Josh or someone else can finish them to get more than today’s point.
PortInTheSouth
Love a bit of the old futbology me
Love a bit of the old futbology me

Post by PortInTheSouth »

Really is two points dropped for me. A pretty dire game all in all with two huge chances - one for Hmami and one from Russ only a minute from time. One of the most stupid red cards I've ever seen - the referee is facing him and only a couple of yards away.

3 aways in a week beckon - one must win in Banbury next Saturday, Warrington a chance to pick up points and Chester a damage limitation job.
As I said, it is what it is. And what it is is a southern softie wind up merchant
Paulisi
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by Paulisi »

Bit of a nothing match. 2 or 3 shots on target in the whole game and was tight and scrappy in midfield.

Quansah, who was outstanding, had some excellent defensive cover in Thompson. Arthur was the other outstanding player.

We played much higher up the pitch and were more combative in our own box. We are much better without Flowers.

Decent point, anything from Tuesday is a bonus. Next Saturday is huge...
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

I didn't go but would have taken a point before the game, against an in-form team.
Instead I watched our relegation rivals - Darlington and Banbury.
There was - obviously - very little quality in what was an attritional game but Darlo deserved the win. They've a very good forward in Cedric Main, who holds the ball up well, and Will Hatfield ran the midfield.
Banbury, on the other hand, were woeful. They produced nothing in the 90 minutes, other than scoring from a cross-gone-wrong. The player that scored for them - and was miles away their best player - is suspended against us.
But really they looked devoid of confidence and got broken apart every time there was a ball played in behind.
I hope we will have too much for them next weekend - shame Lloyd is suspended because I think he'd have a field day.
Clearly a belief at Darlo that they can stay up now. I suspect it is probably too late for them.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Quansah is a class act and an athlete.
Can never understand why he was left out for so long.
Pity he didn’t have a chance to have a shot today
I think his brothers success at Liverpool is urging him on.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

siddle wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:13 pm I didn't go but would have taken a point before the game, against an in-form team.
There was - obviously - very little quality in what was an attritional game but Darlo deserved the win. They've a very good forward in Cedric Main, who holds the ball up well, and Will Hatfield ran the midfield.
Banbury, on the other hand, were woeful. They produced nothing in the 90 minutes, other than scoring from a cross-gone-wrong. The player that scored for them - and was miles away their best player - is suspended against us.
But really they looked devoid of confidence and got broken apart every time there was a ball played in behind.
I hope we will have too much for them next weekend - shame Lloyd is suspended because I think he'd have a field day.
Clearly a belief at Darlo that they can stay up now. I suspect it is probably too late for them.
Darlo are now just 2 points behind Port now and we still have to do up there before the end of the season.They won’t go down ….it’s sadly becoming more and more evident that relegation spots will most likely be filled by 2 of 4 teams between Port ,Rushall ,Banbury& Gloucester .Blyth are free falling and are struggling for form but should be ok. Rushall play Banbury Tuesday so a postive result is really needed at Warrington.Its is scarcely believable but a constant lack of quality in certain players plus others who just are good enough for NLN is the now the root cause of our woes.
Yellow81
----------
----------

Post by Yellow81 »

Poor spectacle but at least we gained a point and a clean sheet. Hmami missed the target with two great chances in either half and the last minute miss by Sub Russ was woeful.
We looked so much better when Archer came on , he is clever with a good touch and really should start now as Bennett was very poor. Hockenhull my MoM he is a decent defender and is an improvement on flowers .
Need 4 pts really out of next 3 away games , banbury is a must not lose match.
Gloucester man
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Gloucester man »

siddle wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:13 pm I didn't go but would have taken a point before the game, against an in-form team.
Banbury were poor against Posh, The keeper saves them down to 10 men again today.
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

Gloucester man wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:39 pmBanbury were poor against Posh.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Posh not Peterborough United? Banbury presumably played Sports.

Anyway, I feel the negatives outweigh the positives today. The positives are that we come away with a point and that the defence played well as a unit. The negatives are that our opposition today were there for the taking, we really needed three points, and we're not teetering just over the relegation zone.

Sports are an inconsistent bunch and they followed up a walloping 4-0 win with what I thought was a poor performance against us today. Nevertheless, we looked vulnerable to them on the break. Several times they got into nice channels between our defenders and a better team would likely have punished us. Their number 8 has quick feet and lots of pace but he kept mucking up his final ball or running it out of play. On another day he might have hurt us.

It was a really scrappy game overall with a lot of the action in the middle of the pitch. It's frustrating, but we really do struggle to create chances. So many times when we got forward out wide, there was nothing in the middle to aim at. This improved somewhat when Archer came on. He's a proper player, Archer. Nice touch, intelligent movement. Wish he'd been fit all season. On this occasion, even as we laboured to create, we still managed three moments when we really should be scoring - two glaring misses from Hmami and a shocker of a miss from Russ. If we do go down, our goals against column will suggest that poor defending over the whole season is more to blame than anything else, but we might find ourselves looking at these misses and wondering, what if.

I thought Bennett was very poor. His touch was terrible and for a big lad he carries no goal threat. He doesn't make his presence felt in the box at all. I don't see much in Will Russ. Runs about a fair bit but doesn't create much and his miss was brutal. I think Hmami has been playing well of late and he was good again today. All the defenders played well. I like Hockenhull and Quansah. Arthur is a bit less convincing but still strong and works hard. We look better without Flowers, it does have to be said. The wing backs bombed on and did well, especially Doyle.

We absolutely should have won that. If we go down by a point or two, we will regret this game. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Gloucester man
750 posts
750 posts

Post by Gloucester man »

Posh / Peterborough, Banbury/ Puritans. Their victory at Haig Ave last year turned them round late o
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

Nah, mate. Posh is Peterborough United's nickname. They play in League One. The team in our league who we played today is Peterborough Sports, nicknamed the Turbines.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:29 pm Darlo are now just 2 points behind Port now and we still have to do up there before the end of the season.They won’t go down ….it’s sadly becoming more and more evident that relegation spots will most likely be filled by 2 of 4 teams between Port ,Rushall ,Banbury& Gloucester .Blyth are free falling and are struggling for form but should be ok. Rushall play Banbury Tuesday so a postive result is really needed at Warrington.Its is scarcely believable but a constant lack of quality in certain players plus others who just are good enough for NLN is the now the root cause of our woes.
They've played two games more than us, though, so my hunch is it's too little too late for them. They were very poor today but got handed goals on a plate by an even worse Banbury.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Woke up this morning at 6. Looked out the window: grey, rainy and miserable. Should I travel 250 miles, taking 5 hours, in each direction, at a cost approaching £100, or should I go back to bed?

Wrong decision. This was a dreadful, clueless, stonkingly bad performance. Couldn’t string together a proper run of passes, were frequently second to the ball, couldn’t shoot, couldn’t do anything with dead balls (one free kick by Morgan in a dangerous position was laughably bad), couldn’t take advantage of having an extra man. Sure, we got a point but Peterborough could have snatched even that away from us as we kept leaving ourselves open at the back.

Will we go down? I think we will. It just feels like it now.
portexileinbath
1,000 posts
1,000 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:57 pm Woke up this morning at 6. Looked out the window: grey, rainy and miserable. Should I travel 250 miles, taking 5 hours, in each direction, at a cost approaching £100, or should I go back to bed?

Wrong decision. This was a dreadful, clueless, stonkingly bad performance. Couldn’t string together a proper run of passes, were frequently second to the ball, couldn’t shoot, couldn’t do anything with dead balls (one free kick by Morgan in a dangerous position was laughably bad), couldn’t take advantage of having an extra man. Sure, we got a point but Peterborough could have snatched even that away from us as we kept leaving ourselves open at the back.

Just imsgine if it was 45 mins each way on the train and 5 hours per half of football !.
Your dedication is admirable ,!.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:57 pm Woke up this morning at 6. Looked out the window: grey, rainy and miserable. Should I travel 250 miles, taking 5 hours, in each direction, at a cost approaching £100, or should I go back to bed?

Sounds to me you stayed in bed and had a nightmare.
It wasn’t bad just couldn’t finish.