Kettering Town 0-0 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Re: Kettering Town 0-0 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:35 pm Lack of ambition will show its presence once again this season as the club can’t afford to succeed. The fall away from the playoffs has already started.

This club cannot afford to go up

15th place finish
You probably have a fair point, unfortunately unless you have a few bob to invest this is the future. I agree the football we play is mostly attritional we would be a force in the league below, but is that what the Town wants? I am guessing no, so unless Ian Kyle changes his tack it will be more of the same...
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:04 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:35 pm Lack of ambition will show its presence once again this season as the club can’t afford to succeed. The fall away from the playoffs has already started.

15th place finish
You probably have a fair point, unfortunately unless you have a few bob to invest this is the future. I agree the football we play is mostly attritional we would be a force in the league below, but is that what the Town wants? I am guessing no, so unless Ian Kyle changes his tack it will be more of the same...
I hate to be talking like this about the team I support but it’s just reality. We have zero money and should we even try to go up we would be straight back down so prob less worth it financially. Mid table in the league we are currently in is in unfortunately as good as we can expect.

It’s all about the money and sadly we have nothing and we are miles away from challenging at the top even though people will come on here later saying well we’re just been in the playoff positions, however the reality is a club like Southport cannot sustain this and it’s just a temporary thing.

Unfortunately I do not see it changing for many more years to come I guess we just have to be thankful we have a club to support and are yet to fold.

Sorry to be so negative just telling it as it is
Sgreen1234
Call Me Steve
Call Me Steve

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Poor game, poor pitch, poor ground. We had much more of the play but barely created any chances. 2 points dropped when they were there for the taking
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:11 pm

15th place finish
I hate to be talking like this about the team I support but it’s just reality. We have zero money and should we even try to go up we would be straight back down so prob less worth it financially. Mid table in the league we are currently in is in unfortunately as good as we can expect.

It’s all about the money and sadly we have nothing and we are miles away from challenging at the top even though people will come on here later saying well we’re just been in the playoff positions, however the reality is a club like Southport cannot sustain this and it’s just a temporary thing.

Unfortunately I do not see it changing for many more years to come I guess we just have to be thankful we have a club to support and are yet to fold.

I dread to think how badly you’d talk about the club if you wasn’t a “supporter”
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:53 pm Has there ever been a more predictable result than that today?

Garbage not going anywhere under this management. Prob be another 10 years before anything changes. For someone who used to be a forward he is the most defensive manager and boring style of football. Shocking
Christ, imagine if we'd lost.
I am at my most DANGEROUS and EFFECTIVE when UNDERESTIMATED.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

tonyhey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:24 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:11 pm

I dread to think how badly you’d talk about the club if you wasn’t a “supporter”
What’s the point in kidding ourselves??
Cheltenham SG

Post by Cheltenham SG »

I would just point out that prior to the game the general view on Portchat was that we would loose!
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

I see the doom and gloomers have returned!
Any away point is always a great point in my eyes.
Unbeaten run continues in the league, one point outside the playoffs and seven points off topspot and yet some on here sound like it's the end of the world after a decent 0-0 away from home and another clean sheet.
Get a grip you numpties 🤪🤭🙄
Sandgrounder3
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder3 »

Finlay Heath played for AFC Liverpool v Litherland and picked up a yellow card today.
Kettering commentator said Carberry picked up 5th yellow and misses Scarborough game.
SimonJ
----------
----------

Post by SimonJ »

Hopefully we'll get Connor Woods back next week. If he's scoring for Warrington, it will give him more confidence if he returns now.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Sandgrounder3 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:41 pm Finlay Heath played for AFC Liverpool v Litherland and picked up a yellow card today.
Kettering commentator said Carberry picked up 5th yellow and misses Scarborough game.
That’ll be why he wasn’t in the City of Liverpool squad then!
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Yellowtaxi, there is only one doom and gloomer that has posted on this thread so far, albeit they have posted 7 times so it might seem like there is more than one.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Probably the worst ground I’ve been to (apart from Hinckley’s old ground) but I commend them for keeping their club alive after they lost Rockingham Road.

Dreadful pitch, one of the worst.

Boring first half, pretty even but maybe Port were the better. Second half Port definitely on top, especially the last 15 minutes when we could and should have scored a couple.

Amazing save from Tony Mac.

Carberry and Bainbridge (My MoM) were best of the bunch. Jack Doyle also did well.

If only we’d had two wingers.

Countless corners, free kicks and crosses straight into their keepers hands. Only in the last 15 did they try something different, and it nearly worked.
Last edited by Redrobe fan on Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:35 pm I see the doom and gloomers have returned!
Unbeaten run continues in the league, one point outside the playoffs and seven points off topspot and yet some on here sound like it's the end of the world after a decent 0-0 away from home and another clean sheet.
Would you not like to see your club be ambitious??
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Redrobe wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:43 pm Yellowtaxi, there is only one doom and gloomer that has posted on this thread so far, albeit they have posted 7 times so it might seem like there is more than one.
Make that eight!
bob_dave_bacon
----------
----------

Post by bob_dave_bacon »

:)
Jonny Smith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 pm
YELLOWTAXI wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:35 pm I see the doom and gloomers have returned!
Would you not like to see your club be ambitious??
You have already answered this yourself in a previous post. We don't have the money for ambition.

If Watson was able to win this league, with our current budget, it would be his greatest achievement in football.

Let's all take a look at it for exactly what it is. Mid-table national League north is Southports level. To expect anything different, unless we gain investment, is insanity.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

tonyhey wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:06 pm
Redrobe wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:43 pm Yellowtaxi, there is only one doom and gloomer that has posted on this thread so far, albeit they have posted 7 times so it might seem like there is more than one.
Make that eight!
9,10,11 etc.....
bob_dave_bacon
----------
----------

Post by bob_dave_bacon »

Good result btw 🙂
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Given that the consensus is we didn't play to the best of our ability and should've won the game on a frankly shit pitch against a tough opponent away from home I think a draw is a decent enough result. I didn't go today however Kettering have been one of our 'bogey' teams so to get a point and feel like we should've had all 3 doesn't necessarily warrant the meltdown it has. I actually think, given what we've seen on the pitch so far this season, that we will make the playoffs this year but we aren't yet ready to have a realistic go at promotion until we get another Carver-type player and an experienced midfielder (Jay Spearing or Hope Akpan anyone??) but we aren't far off having a very good team so long as we keep the core together. We need to keep Anson and have that as an absolute priority, despite not playing today he is our most important player and more than good enough to captain us in this league and the one above. We're slowly improving as this group of players becomes more experienced and although we need a few more dressing room leaders the hallmarks of a good team are finally beginning to show through, even if it has taken Watson 5 years to assemble it.

We also need to make getting Marcus back an absolute priority, he's unstoppable at this level and if he does return it'll be for the rest of his career I'd guess.
Route66
----------
----------

Post by Route66 »

A point away is not a bad result and considering their decent home form including beating Kings Lynn (who are a good team!) you would take it. Listening to the very fair, radio commentary, we were the better team but had no cutting edge. Move on and get 3 points next Saturday against Scarborough and we will probably be back in the play off positions.