How will the league pan out?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi
----------
----------

How will the league pan out?

Post by Paulisi »

We have seen the majority of the sides this season and I think it is quite clear to see that the best two sides are Kings Lynn and Brackley, but don't wrote off Fylde who have a very strong squad and are capable of a long run.
King's Lynn should get promoted.
I think we are capable of a playoff spot, but I'm concerned where the goals will come from and the potential for Hmami to go in the transfer window.
Darlington should make the playoffs, Chester have a good squad, but difficult to assess them as they were missing so many players when we played them. Chorley are good enough for the playoffs if they can keep their discipline,
Expect Scarborough, Brackley and Peterborough to fade having been promoted.
Hereford, Alfreton and Gloucester have outside chances of the playoffs,.

Looking at the bottom, Telford look doomed. Expect the other relegation places to be fought between Farsley, Blyth, Bradford, Kettering and Boston.
PortInTheSouth
----------
----------

Re: How will the league pan out?

Post by PortInTheSouth »

There are very few clubs in this league that aren't looking up or down I would say -

Other than possibly Leamington, Alfreton and possibly one or two others, clubs will be hoping for play offs/title or staying up. Telford are as good as gone for me and I'd be suprised if anyone pushed KLT off the top. We have a good chance of the play offs this season and have proven that in recent weeks, but it's keeping a fit squad and having consistency that are vital
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Why do Telford struggle so much? They get good crowds and that ground is a good standard for any non league club.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:53 pm Why do Telford struggle so much? They get good crowds and that ground is a good standard for any non league club.
Crowds are only 900 - 1,100 these days.

There was a long interview with Liam during Covid, I forget where, but he spoke about his managerial career so far. He recalled Telford as looking far bigger from the outside than in.

They don't own the ground, don't get access the gym or any of the other facillities as they are a just a third party, the budget is small as they have no backer.

No reason for them to be stranded at the bottom, that is squarely Paul Carden's doing (he also left us deep in the relegation zone in the league above).
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Telford do have a multi millionaire on the board, who founded music magpie, but he is not the majority shareholder.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

There is no reason not to make the Play Offs, but we need to resign Marcus Carver or a similar type of Striker to put the chances created away. Whether the club can find such a player is a moot point or indeed afford one is one to ponder. I get the impression from Watson that he seems reluctant to bring Woods back into the fold, if nothing happens as I don't think it will, it will be an uphill struggle to make the top 7. Such is our situation pretty similar to last season, Champions probably Kings Lynn possible promotion hopefuls Brackley & Darlington....hopefully we make it to the shake up too.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:12 pm
GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:53 pm Why do Telford struggle so much? They get good crowds and that ground is a good standard for any non league club.
Crowds are only 900 - 1,100 these days.

There was a long interview with Liam during Covid, I forget where, but he spoke about his managerial career so far. He recalled Telford as looking far bigger from the outside than in.

They don't own the ground, don't get access the gym or any of the other facillities as they are a just a third party, the budget is small as they have no backer.

No reason for them to be stranded at the bottom, that is squarely Paul Carden's doing (he also left us deep in the relegation zone in the league above).
Not sure that's any longer the case. As Paul says, the wealthy Music Magpie chap bought all their unallocated shares in January.

They blew other Conf North clubs out of the water signing Prince Ekpolo in the summer, and currently have two assistant managers on the payroll.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Darlington moved top tonight, despite dropping points to Kettering and a floodlight failure.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Anyone could win this league
Farsley turn over another top team in Kings Lynn tonight and Brackley drop points.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Kiddy v Chester is live on BT Sports 1 for anyone interested.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Fylde are on the up and have plenty of games in hand.
Meanwhile the top spot keeps flip flopping and there are some big crowds around.
Scarborough have a sell out today and if Darlington continue to get big gates there are looking at going full time
PortDan1121
Bitter Evertonian
Bitter Evertonian

Post by PortDan1121 »

Looking at the league table now -

You would say that the current top 6 will most likley stay in the top 6 come the end of the season - Im not sure who will win the league. Probs Lynn with all their games in hand, however apart from their loss to Telford on New Years Day - Chester have been flying and Fylde arent doing too bad also.

Just leaves 1 playoff spot - so hopefully we get that.

Looking toward the bottom:

With four teams going down this season (The BBC obvs don't really care about the NLN) - Telford need a miracle to stay up. It is all so tight around the bottom. Blyth are also in danger of being cut off - they currently sit six points from safety. Will be a real shame if we lose Blyth. Bradford PA have started to pick up some points and climbed up the table a bit but apart from Telford - I wouldn't like to bet on who else will go down.
Marsh Harrier
----------
----------

Post by Marsh Harrier »

It would be more interesting if the playoffs were a combined North South affair which would offer the chance of three going up from the North and only one from the South :D

I guess reaching the playoffs could be construed as progress but potential trips to Chorley or Fylde could be explosive off the pitch as well as on!
Gambo's Left Boot
----------
----------

Post by Gambo's Left Boot »

Interesting to see who comes up too. At the moment it looks like renewing old rivalries with Tamworth and Nuneaton from the Midlands, and it'd be a shock if South Shields don't make their money and 2000+ gates count this year. As for the other team from the NPL - personally would love to see Marine come up to have a decent local rivalry again, but they may fall just short.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I thought Marine were "ground limited" and couldn't come up?
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Last thing we need is Marine to become the latest local team we used to look down on to shoot beyond us with bigger crowds.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:09 pm I thought Marine were "ground limited" and couldn't come up?
Latest FA guidance here: https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom- ... ashx?la=en

I had a quick look and couldn't make sense of "3 sided grounds may be declared as 4" - nor that their capacity is lower than their current level supposedly allows.
cavjj
Carl Soloman
Carl Soloman

Post by cavjj »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:34 pm Last thing we need is Marine to become the latest local team we used to look down on to shoot beyond us with bigger crowds.
Marine's crowds have surpassed ours already, but they had a once-in-a-generation opportunity with the Spurs game and they've smashed it. I think it's very difficult to compare what we're doing and what Marine are doing because of that.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:34 pm Last thing we need is Marine to become the latest local team we used to look down on to shoot beyond us with bigger crowds.
In the 15 seaons we were in the same division they finished above us 10 times. Only ground grading prevented them being promoted the season after we were.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.