Southport 1-1 Scarborough - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Southport 1-1 Scarborough - Match Thread

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

cavjj wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm
Stratford Excile wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:35 pmKeep selling your best players and the club just stands still and never progress out of this league, history keeps repeating itself.

I guess we will be in the same position in 4,5 or 6 years time.
Said it before and I’ll say it again. There are about four clubs in the world who can afford to refuse to sell their best players when a decent offer comes in - we’re not one of them.
Liverpool sold Mane (hence why they are now crap)
Bayern sold Lewendowski

The idea that we can hold on to players is laughable
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

No problem with selling players, I agree with the above.

It is ensuring they are replaced that's the point. Last year we sold Carver and tried to busk our way to the end of the season, the inevitable happened.

When EFL teams poach our players we should be poaching from Marine, Prescot, Bamber Bridge to keep the conveyor belt going.

Providing we bring in a couple of promising talents in January then no bother.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

I agree with potk,but my point has always been when we sell players, nobody knows how much we got,and where the money goes ect,it's all smoke& daggers.. .ii have my theory, but enough said,kinda miss the old days when you could tell if we had a successful season cos Charlie bought a new car!!!!
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Stratford Excile wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:35 pm Who ever it is it must be one of our better players and I guess the move is good for him but what about Southport Football Club?

Keep selling your best players and the club just stands still and never progress out of this league, history keeps repeating itself.

I guess we will be in the same position in 4,5 or 6 years time.
Are you suggesting that we stop player’s progressing to a higher level? Would you rather the club kept players until their contracts expire and let them walk for nothing? We are, and always have been a football club that survives by bringing in young lads to learn their trade, hopefully improve, and allow us to sell them on for a profit.
Marsh Harrier
----------
----------

Post by Marsh Harrier »

I remember a supporter on one of my forays to the North East to watch a Northern League match saying "Get the ball down man!" Wise words and maybe one day we will keep the ball on the floor but for now it is what it is and a draw was a fair result!
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Frustrating game looked like we would blow them away at first then same old playing catch up which we did at the very end . Jack Doyle must be knackered tonight ,long throws, corners , he seemed to do them all. Good to have Connor back. Good work ethic from all the lads as usual but we didnt vary the way we played and were very predictable, we had the last laugh as their manager was demanding the final whistle about a minute before we equalised and there was a good attendance despite the early kick off.Happy day.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Annonymous_fan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:15 pm Offer accepted for one of our players. Any ideas who it is and what club?
Further to this, I understand the proposed move is not to the Football League but will be a life changing opportunity.
https://twitter.com/_stephenkillen/stat ... ROFS8wGbtQ

Interesting and listening to Liam’s interview, he appears to say change of ‘Country’ before saying step up [4:14] on his YouTube interview.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Roday1878 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 am
Annonymous_fan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:15 pm Offer accepted for one of our players. Any ideas who it is and what club?
Further to this, I understand the proposed move is not to the Football League but will be a life changing opportunity.
https://twitter.com/_stephenkillen/stat ... ROFS8wGbtQ

Interesting and listening to Liam’s interview, he appears to say change of ‘Country’ before saying step up [4:14] on his YouTube interview.
If it's "life changing", one would assume it isn't to Wales either. Perhaps a move into the Scottish leagues or further afield? Sweden? Cyprus? Both seem to have an interest in English non-league. It also would be extremely unlikely to be to an NL club, as an opportunity to go to any one of those wouldn't be considered life changing either.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Then why wait for the transfer window?
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:37 am Then why wait for the transfer window?
So we can fill the void?

The fact that we don't stop players from progressing, and actually allow them to grow and get back into the football league is probably one of the main reasons why players are happy to come to us.

And possibly helping to keep us afloat.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

It's a great move for the player concerned.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

We can't stop players moving upwards but my only worry is are we going to struggle through rest of season with a smaller squad.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

Is McMillan going to a new elite Arabian Seniors League?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sam wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:50 am
Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:37 am Then why wait for the transfer window?
So we can fill the void?
I don’t think that there is a transfer window in NLN?
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

I’ve a sneaking feeling it might be Niall Watson who’s the player we're talking about

Liam is understandably very carefully micro managing his career and progress. He (Niall) is a vastly improved player this season and perhaps ready for the next step.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:55 am I don’t think that there is a transfer window in NLN?
Still affects all the leagues, players move up so some come down either released or loaned as they've been replaced.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sam wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:06 am
Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:55 am I don’t think that there is a transfer window in NLN?
Still affects all the leagues, players move up so some come down either released or loaned as they've been replaced.
?
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:55 am
Sam wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:50 am
So we can fill the void?
I don’t think that there is a transfer window in NLN?
There isn't a transfer window for clubs step 5 and below per se, but teams where a transfer window still applies (i.e League 2 and above) are still subject to those restrictions if they were to buy a player from non-league. The only instance where that isn't required is if a player is on non-contract or has been released by their non-league club, hence why we can't sell players to the League outside of their transfer windows. Loan restrictions of a similar nature also exist, unless a League club has been granted special permission for an emergency loan, such as if all 3 goalkeepers in a team are injured. It doesn't work the other way, meaning if we wanted to sign or loan anyone from the League and we'd be able to, subject to the agreeance of the player and club and a previously agreed notice period.
cobby7
----------
----------

Post by cobby7 »

That could explain Niall and Liams absence on Wednesday and Wood returning .
Good luck to him I can see him doing well in the FL where they have more space and wingers!
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Another two points gone if we had more punch upfront we would be near the top of the table. Just Hope Watson does start selling our best players again..