How can Bristol City do this?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE

How can Bristol City do this?

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

According to the Mail on Sunday, yesterday Bristol City fans were allowed to eat in the club’s restaurant and bars while watching their home game with Swansea on TV screens. And Millwall did the same for their game with Barnsley. I thought we were told we couldn’t do this?
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Re: How can Bristol City do this?

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 pm According to the Mail on Sunday, yesterday Bristol City fans were allowed to eat in the club’s restaurant and bars while watching their home game with Swansea on TV screens. And Millwall did the same for their game with Barnsley. I thought we were told we couldn’t do this?
Agree there are so many inconsistencies in the rules that no one understands them fully and many are ignoring them ....how come Stafford were allowed 600 fans v skem in the cup, whereas we had no one.....how come mps can travel to Scotland and back on trains with covid or their advisors take a trip to Barnard castle to test their eyesight on the roads....
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:17 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 pm According to the Mail on Sunday, yesterday Bristol City fans were allowed to eat in the club’s restaurant and bars while watching their home game with Swansea on TV screens. And Millwall did the same for their game with Barnsley. I thought we were told we couldn’t do this?
Agree there are so many inconsistencies in the rules that no one understands them fully and many are ignoring them ....how come Stafford were allowed 600 fans v skem in the cup, whereas we had no one.....how come mps can travel to Scotland and back on trains with covid or their advisors take a trip to Barnard castle to test their eyesight on the roads....
That’s because they live by a different set of rules to the rest of us.
Sandgrounder SE

That’s not the point, is it? Whatever particular individuals may have done to breach rules or guidance or whatever it was, they were individuals. Here we have two big clubs who were presumably told this was OK.
We were not.
When Tier 3 rules are removed, watching home (and away) games in the bar, perhaps with a meal, could be a useful additional earner for the club.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Norwich did it as well - showed to match to corporates in a club suite.
Hat Trick Patrick

Post by Hat Trick Patrick »

They aren't in Tier 3 like us
Sandgrounder SE

But Southport wasn’t in Tier 3 when we (and Borehamwood) were told we couldn’t do this. Somewhere along the line the advice has changed.
Formula Port

Post by Formula Port »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 am But Southport wasn’t in Tier 3 when we (and Borehamwood) were told we couldn’t do this. Somewhere along the line the advice has changed.
Depends which policy they draw out of the hat on the day it was announced
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

It will be a loophole like being an established restaurant etc etc
becbee

Post by becbee »

I went to a " non-elite" match last Saturday, 313 fans in a ground which holds 3,000. So ample room to socially distance.
However it was clearly going to rain so most people went under cover - the 2 small stands were full( no seats cordoned off) as were the 2 small covered areas immediately behind the goals. Absolutely no social distancing.
The P.A. did go through the motions of reminding people to socially distance and to wear masks when moving about but nobody took any notice and nothing was done. A few fans did stand out in the rain and I saw 2 masks. That's all.

Yet "elite" clubs who would follow the rules aren't allowed fans. Just not fair or reasonable.
Sandgrounder SE

Sadly, I think this would happen at Haig Avenue. As many fans would be allocated slots on the Popular Side when they really wanted Jack Carr, the temptation to seek shelter during a rainstorm ( and we see several every season) would be difficult to resist.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 am Sadly, I think this would happen at Haig Avenue. As many fans would be allocated slots on the Popular Side when they really wanted Jack Carr, the temptation to seek shelter during a rainstorm ( and we see several every season) would be difficult to resist.
If the ground were to open in that manner with limited capacity the Pop Side would be segregated from the Jack Carr stand.
So if you were allocated the Pop Side you'd have to stay there.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Agree. I've been to a few non elite games and not failed to be able to socially distance in grounds much smaller than ours. Most if not all spectators are abiding by the rules.

What I really dont get is why we cant have at least 300 in yet somewhere like skem or burscough can. Makes absolutely no sense from a defeating covid perspective in my view.

Think we should rebrand the ground as an arts and culture venue and call it the london palladium north....we'd then be allowed half capacity in surely....as long as we all dressed up a bit smart and clapped politely.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:05 am Agree. I've been to a few non elite games and not failed to be able to socially distance in grounds much smaller than ours. Most if not all spectators are abiding by the rules.

What I really dont get is why we cant have at least 300 in yet somewhere like skem or burscough can. Makes absolutely no sense from a defeating covid perspective in my view.

Think we should rebrand the ground as an arts and culture venue and call it the london palladium north....we'd then be allowed half capacity in surely....as long as we all dressed up a bit smart and clapped politely.
I can't be in the baby scans with my pregnant wife, but I can go down the pub with five of my mates. The rules are bonkers and they don't make a lot of sense, let's be honest. But they're rules, we're all affected somehow and we have to get on with it. It's frustrating when common sense doesn't prevail but this government has proved they don't have a lot of it.

Rant.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

It’s about visiting the hospital, not the imaging room.

I agree about the pub.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:16 pm It’s about visiting the hospital, not the imaging room.

I agree about the pub.
Certainly no issues with people attending with another at Southport A&E last week.