Port Chat meeting with SFC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portchat
Site Admin
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by portchat »

News of our confirmed Associate member status with the FSA has led to a very productive and positive chat with the club this afternoon.

The club have agreed for us as a forum to meet with Head of Operations James Tedford and Chairman Ian Kyle and ask them questions submitted from members with the intention of reporting back their responses here.

This is a great opportunity to develop a relationship with the club whilst retaining our status as an “Independent Fans Forum” and will give forum members a vehicle through which to ask questions or raise issues at what we hope will be regular meetings.

Our first meeting is scheduled for Saturday.

If you wish to submit any questions you can either post them below in this thread or send them to the Port Chat email address portchat1881@gmail.com

All questions will be asked “on behalf of the forum members” We won’t name which users have submitted which questions.
Pops
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Pops »

What a great idea !!! Well done Nic. Not to think of some questions !!
Redrobe fan
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Redrobe fan »

Here's one:
Before the season started, the club asked supporters to 'sponsor a player'. Many of us responded positively. After sponsorships were sold, they then referred to it as sponsoring the player's home shirt, and sought sponsors for the away shirt. I'm all for the club raising as much as possible, but I found this rather irksome. Will the club confirm that next year it will be more upfront about this?
Formula Port
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Formula Port »

I have a question that I believe has been keeping most of the forum up at night, Where is Mike Hunt?
Paulisi
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Paulisi »

Here are a few questions:
How long is Marcus Wood out for and will the club be looking to bring in any cover as we only have a small squad?
What is the take up on streaming?
In light of football league and premier League clubs allowing corporate guests to watch the match for a fee in the clubhouse, is this something the club will look to do (assuming tier 3 is lifted)
YELLOWTAXI
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 am

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Great to see this.
One question.
When COVID is eventually in the past,
(one can dream I know!)
Will the Club continue to arrange away supporters Coach travel since TIY was no longer doing it and maybe get a good deal with maybe the players coach company.
Cheers 👍
Sandgrounder SE
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

This may be a sensitive question, but is Port Chat now seeking to replace Trust in Yellow as the fans’ representative? There is no link to TIY on the new Port Chat, and their site seems more or less moribund though I have seen a tweet or two from Kayley. I was vaguely aware of differences of opinion between fans, but TIY has done a lot in the past and appears still to be working on the FanZone but appears to be ‘cancelled’ by PortChat and the club site. For those of us not based in Southport and in regular touch with people, what is going on?
port4ever
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by port4ever »

Question, would the club consider continuing with the live stream after the virus has been contained, and fans are allowed back in the ground? I am looking at this from an exile point of view (Spain). I know there's plenty of Southport fan's around the world who log onto the live updates. I would be happy to continue with my membership every season for this service, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone. Cheers
Ste_B
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Ste_B »

port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:54 am Question, would the club consider continuing with the live stream after the virus has been contained, and fans are allowed back in the ground? I am looking at this from an exile point of view (Spain). I know there's plenty of Southport fan's around the world who log onto the live updates. I would be happy to continue with my membership every season for this service, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone. Cheers
This was addressed in James’ last update.

They would be willing to if it was viable. It can’t be broadcast for exiles within the UK, and if there’s only five or six people abroad watching then it wouldn’t be viable.
port4ever
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by port4ever »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:04 am
port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:54 am Question, would the club consider continuing with the live stream after the virus has been contained, and fans are allowed back in the ground? I am looking at this from an exile point of view (Spain). I know there's plenty of Southport fan's around the world who log onto the live updates. I would be happy to continue with my membership every season for this service, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone. Cheers
This was addressed in James’ last update.

They would be willing to if it was viable. It can’t be broadcast for exiles within the UK, and if there’s only five or six people abroad watching then it wouldn’t be viable.
I'm sure that the numbers would exceed five or six.
Ste_B
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Ste_B »

port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 am
Ste_B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:04 am
port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:54 am Question, would the club consider continuing with the live stream after the virus has been contained, and fans are allowed back in the ground? I am looking at this from an exile point of view (Spain). I know there's plenty of Southport fan's around the world who log onto the live updates. I would be happy to continue with my membership every season for this service, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone. Cheers
This was addressed in James’ last update.

They would be willing to if it was viable. It can’t be broadcast for exiles within the UK, and if there’s only five or six people abroad watching then it wouldn’t be viable.
I'm sure that the numbers would exceed five or six.
Not my words, Carol. The words of Top Gear Magazine.
portchat
Site Admin
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by portchat »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:51 am This may be a sensitive question, but is Port Chat now seeking to replace Trust in Yellow as the fans’ representative? There is no link to TIY on the new Port Chat, and their site seems more or less moribund though I have seen a tweet or two from Kayley. I was vaguely aware of differences of opinion between fans, but TIY has done a lot in the past and appears still to be working on the FanZone but appears to be ‘cancelled’ by PortChat and the club site. For those of us not based in Southport and in regular touch with people, what is going on?
Not a sensitive question at all SE and happy to share what I know and my humble thoughts on this!

We are not seeking to “cancel” or replace anyone. Many clubs have more than one supporter representative body.

Trust In Yellow are and always have been more than welcome to reach out to us if they wish to contribute information to this forum but it was not our place to just assume this to be the case and to date we have received no contact from them.

Our structure differs to that of Trust In Yellow, we are a forum, free to join with only our forum rules dictating our practice currently, they are a Community Benefit Society owned equally by the members who have a share of the Trust and bound by their constitution to represent the interests of those members, engage with their members and spend their funds according to those members wishes.

I asked the members of this forum if they wished for us to seek Associate membership of the Football Supporters Association, something which was positively received by both members of the forum and by the club.

We were given an opportunity as a forum to develop a relationship with the club and open a channel of communication, I took it. It was not done with the intention to spite anyone, purely as I’m a big believer that the more open communication between clubs and their supporters the better!!

As I explained my day to day role is as the Constitutional and Governance Expert at the FSA and I have spent the best part of the last decade working with Supporters Trusts to ensure they operate correctly and build viable, structured relationships between their clubs and communities. Supporter representation is something that I am extremely passionate about and I’d love nothing more than to see my own Trust flourish.
Hillsider
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:24 am

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Hillsider »

Question: there’s been a lot of talk about restructuring the leagues above us. How do you thing any changes will affect the non league pyramid?
loyal jay
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by loyal jay »

Following the success of the floodlight ram fundraising appeal, is there any appetite to set up any further fundraising projects in the future? The projects could be laid out in a poll and voted for by the supporters?
YTT
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by YTT »

I did wonder about the TIY position so thanks for answering that.

When you say we as a forum will meet with the club who is the we for those of us less well informed members?
portchat
Site Admin
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by portchat »

YTT wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 pm I did wonder about the TIY position so thanks for answering that.

When you say we as a forum will meet with the club who is the we for those of us less well informed members?
Initially it will be myself (Nic) meeting James and Ian and all I will be doing in the meeting is submitting the members questions we receive and recording the replies from the club, which will be published here in full on the forum.

My hope is that, dependant on how it goes and the feeling from forum members, we may look to develop more of a structured relationship with the club and look at mechanisms for forum members to elect or appoint representatives at those meetings going forwards.

If the meetings develop beyond simply being a vehicle which to ask questions and post responses, I would be keen to look at a way to ensure those involved in any of those discussions would be adequately placed to represent the views of forum members and forum members were happy with that.

Hope that all makes sense!
Optimist
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Optimist »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:04 am
port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:54 am Question, would the club consider continuing with the live stream after the virus has been contained, and fans are allowed back in the ground? I am looking at this from an exile point of view (Spain). I know there's plenty of Southport fan's around the world who log onto the live updates. I would be happy to continue with my membership every season for this service, I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone. Cheers
This was addressed in James’ last update.

They would be willing to if it was viable. It can’t be broadcast for exiles within the UK, and if there’s only five or six people abroad watching then it wouldn’t be viable.
James's last update was very useful (as they all are - much appreciated down here in Essex) and I understand the current law, but I wonder whether in this new emerging world there is any scope for lobbying to change the current regulations to allow clubs at this level to broadcast within the UK but more than, say, 100 miles or so from the relevant ground. I've no idea if this would even be technically possible but if it were to provide an extra income stream for Clubs like ours it might be worth looking at. I haven't seen what profit (if any) the club has made on the streaming so far, and it would be interesting to know the details if they feel able to disclose them.
Alan Spences Pupil
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Formula Port wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:15 pm I have a question that I believe has been keeping most of the forum up at night, Where is Mike Hunt?
Last seen polishing his ego..... :lol:
YTT
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by YTT »

portchat wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 pm
YTT wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 pm I did wonder about the TIY position so thanks for answering that.

When you say we as a forum will meet with the club who is the we for those of us less well informed members?
Initially it will be myself (Nic) meeting James and Ian and all I will be doing in the meeting is submitting the members questions we receive and recording the replies from the club, which will be published here in full on the forum.

My hope is that, dependant on how it goes and the feeling from forum members, we may look to develop more of a structured relationship with the club and look at mechanisms for forum members to elect or appoint representatives at those meetings going forwards.

If the meetings develop beyond simply being a vehicle which to ask questions and post responses, I would be keen to look at a way to ensure those involved in any of those discussions would be adequately placed to represent the views of forum members and forum members were happy with that.

Hope that all makes sense!
Thanking you again makes absolute sense.

I also believe two way communication between the club and it' extended supporter base is more important now than ever before under current circumstances. So well done for taking the initiative on both forum fronts.

I also agree and advocate what the likes of Gary Neville and Co are pushing in response to project big picture about exploring more fan based ownership models like we see in Germany. Something i know you are passionate about and i can see our level having to explore and embrace this as an option over the coming months and years as financial reality impacts post Covid and grass roots football existence comes under serious threat.
portchat
Site Admin
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by portchat »

YTT wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:41 pm
portchat wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 pm
YTT wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 pm I did wonder about the TIY position so thanks for answering that.

When you say we as a forum will meet with the club who is the we for those of us less well informed members?
Initially it will be myself (Nic) meeting James and Ian and all I will be doing in the meeting is submitting the members questions we receive and recording the replies from the club, which will be published here in full on the forum.

My hope is that, dependant on how it goes and the feeling from forum members, we may look to develop more of a structured relationship with the club and look at mechanisms for forum members to elect or appoint representatives at those meetings going forwards.

If the meetings develop beyond simply being a vehicle which to ask questions and post responses, I would be keen to look at a way to ensure those involved in any of those discussions would be adequately placed to represent the views of forum members and forum members were happy with that.

Hope that all makes sense!
Thanking you again makes absolute sense.

I also believe two way communication between the club and it' extended supporter base is more important now than ever before under current circumstances. So well done for taking the initiative on both forum fronts.

I also agree and advocate what the likes of Gary Neville and Co are pushing in response to project big picture about exploring more fan based ownership models like we see in Germany. Something i know you are passionate about and i can see our level having to explore and embrace this as an option over the coming months and years as financial reality impacts post Covid and grass roots football existence comes under serious threat.
Please get involved in discussions (or start the ball rolling!) on the FSA section of the forum on the “Project Big Picture” points. Although the initial project plans seem to have been scrapped I suspect it’s not the last time a plan of that nature will rear its head!!

I know it’s not for everyone and I’m mindful to keep the forum Southport FC centric as that’s what we are here to discuss, but you’re right, we are at a pivotal point in the game and more than ever fans voices have a great deal to contribute to the future shape of the game.
Post Reply