Port Chat meeting with SFC

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Unibond Awakes

Re: Port Chat meeting with SFC

Post by Unibond Awakes »

If YTT is who I hope he is Nic I would love to see him involved in the club again....many thanks for you & James efforts here🤗
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:36 pm If YTT is who I hope he is Nic I would love to see him involved in the club again....many thanks for you & James efforts here🤗
This is hopefully an opportunity for all forum members to engage with the club. Everyone’s opinion is equally valid.

YTT made some good points about the wider game and I’ve encouraged them to start discussions on this on the other section of the forum.

As I said before, it’s not everyone’s bag but anyone who is interested in the current issues affecting football as a whole from Covid to finance to the structure of the pyramid, I’d encourage to share and discuss their views. As fans we have never had a better opportunity to be a part of shaping the future of the game.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ask them how much we got for Jack Sampson!
sandgrounder 1965

Post by sandgrounder 1965 »

Come on does it matter how much we got for Jack Samson.He has now gone and we have some welcome funds.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

sandgrounder 1965 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:41 am Come on does it matter how much we got for Jack Samson.He has now gone and we have some welcome funds.
I was being tongue in cheek, to be honest.
pbg

Post by pbg »

It seems to me, the arrangements Nichola is proposing are, by and large, an unnecessary duplication of what is already in place. At present,
1. Rob conducts regular video updates with both Ian and James and includes questions from supporters, these updates are posted on YouTube, the last update with James was done only last week.
2. Amos interviews players and posts the interviews on YouTube.
3. Alan/Rob/Jon conduct post match interviews with Liam, and post them on Youtube.
4. The Club posts Official Club news on the SFC website.
5. Prior to COVID-19, TIY held regular events and “meet the manager” sessions.

In light of the above, why do we need more meetings?

In my view, Portchat should keep its traditional role and remain an informal forum, where fans can freely express their opinions, have a rant, or otherwise. The suggestion of elected Portchat representatives and regular Club/Portchat meetings is starting to move Portchat away from Its central traditional purpose and into areas which are already covered by other people. “Treading on toes” comes to mind. Do we really need more communication? I believe the communication we currently have is excellent. Are there plans in place to move New Portchat into the domain of TIY? We can already see a creeping change in the role of New Portchat. I am a member of the TIY board, however the views in this post are my own personal opinions and not the collective view of TIY."
Mart42

Post by Mart42 »

I think any communication with the club should be seen as a good thing. Yes Rob and James do great interviews but an opportunity for fans to be able to ask questions to the Board is great and should be encouraged. The fact that the club has agreed to it shows they dont see it as duplication also

Port Chat has grown up since its re birth and for its members to be encouraged to communicate with the decision makers at our club shows how far it has come

Regarding TIY its good to hear from the Board again, with the exception of the Fan Zone updates I have not seen much communication from them since the season ended and its surprising that they didn't try get any interviews with the club (I am presuming they have not asked and the club has refused)

Are TIY renewing members by the way? Again I have seen nothing on this and the link to join seems to have broken? http://shop.trustinyellow.com/

I think most people would love to hear more from TIY and perhaps Port Chat has had to take up the mantle due to TIY not offering such a forum recently?
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

pbg wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:44 pm It seems to me, the arrangements Nichola is proposing are, by and large, an unnecessary duplication of what is already in place. At present,
1. Rob conducts regular video updates with both Ian and James and includes questions from supporters, these updates are posted on YouTube, the last update with James was done only last week.
2. Amos interviews players and posts the interviews on YouTube.
3. Alan/Rob/Jon conduct post match interviews with Liam, and post them on Youtube.
4. The Club posts Official Club news on the SFC website.
5. Prior to COVID-19, TIY held regular events and “meet the manager” sessions.

In light of the above, why do we need more meetings?

In my view, Portchat should keep its traditional role and remain an informal forum, where fans can freely express their opinions, have a rant, or otherwise. The suggestion of elected Portchat representatives and regular Club/Portchat meetings is starting to move Portchat away from Its central traditional purpose and into areas which are already covered by other people. “Treading on toes” comes to mind. Do we really need more communication? I believe the communication we currently have is excellent. Are there plans in place to move New Portchat into the domain of TIY? We can already see a creeping change in the role of New Portchat. I am a member of the TIY board, however the views in this post are my own personal opinions and not the collective view of TIY."
It would be nice to have some kind of genuinely friendly relationship between the club and the supporters - it'd be a first in my time. James and Rob's updates have done a cracking job of keeping people informed and it is really good that the board are happy to engage directly with questions this way - a few years ago it would have seemed very odd for people to be worrying about too much communication!

I like "New Portchat", I can definitely see Nicola as some kind of Tony Blair figure but without all the wars and that. The disclaimer at the end makes it slightly sound as if you had a gun to your head though...
YELLOWTAXI

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

I think more communication with the club can only be a good thing especially when they are obviously welcome to the idea, unlike previous regimes.
I cant remember it being this good in my time of watching the Port in 40 years.
Perhaps pbg could tell us what the situation is with TIY at the moment with him being a board member.
I understand with COVID-19 going on that their are no members meetings going on but do the board still catch up on ZOOM to discuss things? Would be good to know. Great news and update recently on the new hub, but all quiet otherwise.
That's why I think it's good to have another avenue to be able to talk to the club, although I find James Tedford very approachable if I have any questions.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

I think communication with the club without having to go through an ‘official’ channel like TIY is a good thing, and it’s a positive step that the club recognises Portchat.

TIY certainly has a big role to play but I don’t think it needs to be asking the club these kinds of questions. I don’t recall it actively doing so in the past?
pbg

Post by pbg »

YELLOWTAXI wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:39 pm I think more communication with the club can only be a good thing especially when they are obviously welcome to the idea, unlike previous regimes.
I cant remember it being this good in my time of watching the Port in 40 years.
Perhaps pbg could tell us what the situation is with TIY at the moment with him being a board member.
I understand with COVID-19 going on that their are no members meetings going on but do the board still catch up on ZOOM to discuss things? Would be good to know. Great news and update recently on the new hub, but all quiet otherwise.
That's why I think it's good to have another avenue to be able to talk to the club, although I find James Tedford very approachable if I have any questions.
The TIY board keep in touch via email at the moment. With regard to the Fanzone/new hub, Jonathan has put in a tremendous amount of ongoing work and effort on this project, all credit to him.
David999

Post by David999 »

Not surprised at Jonathan putting in so much work - we miss his insight into games on here - would be good to hear from him ?
yellosoul

Post by yellosoul »

This is all very positive stuff

It's a long time and a long way - 15 years this month to be precise - since the club REFUSED sponsorship that we had organised via portchat

They were dark days indeed
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Last call for questions!

Post on this thread or email to portchat1881@gmail.com

We have received a really good spread of questions so far and to ensure we are able to get them answered as thoroughly as possible will be emailing them over to the club this evening in advance of the meeting tomorrow.

Once I've emailed them over I'll put the complete list of questions up here.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:47 am I think communication with the club without having to go through an ‘official’ channel like TIY is a good thing, and it’s a positive step that the club recognises Portchat.

TIY certainly has a big role to play but I don’t think it needs to be asking the club these kinds of questions. I don’t recall it actively doing so in the past?
Surely a fundamental aspect of a supporters trust is supporter representation? TIY haven’t been afraid to ask questions in the past when it suited.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Paulisi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 pm What is the take up on streaming?
Rob partly answered the question on his you tube video about the streaming.
Chorley had over 1000. Hereford was more as they crashed the site.
So we know the revenue streams are reasonable at the moment.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Is there any indication on whether the leagues will be suspended in the event of a second national lockdown?
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Bobby wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:54 am
Ste_B wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:47 am I think communication with the club without having to go through an ‘official’ channel like TIY is a good thing, and it’s a positive step that the club recognises Portchat.

Surely a fundamental aspect of a supporters trust is supporter representation? TIY haven’t been afraid to ask questions in the past when it suited.
I agree, and it’s been done well. I just don’t think TIY needs to spend its time asking the club questions about potential loan signings on behalf of Toby from Hillside. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t done in the past?
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:04 am

I agree, and it’s been done well. I just don’t think TIY needs to spend its time asking the club questions about potential loan signings on behalf of Toby from Hillside. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t done in the past?
No, TIY shouldn’t be asking about loan signings but that’s not the point. The Q&A’s that the club currently run are good for supporter communication but if a question comes in that the club don’t like then they can ignore it. For whatever reason, TIY have not recently been functioning in the role of listening to and representing supporters views. Portchat is filling that void with some of the current list of questions.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Bobby wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:33 am
Ste_B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:04 am

No, TIY shouldn’t be asking about loan signings but that’s not the point. The Q&A’s that the club currently run are good for supporter communication but if a question comes in that the club don’t like then they can ignore it. For whatever reason, TIY have not recently been functioning in the role of listening to and representing supporters views. Portchat is filling that void with some of the current list of questions.
Again I agree. I think that is where TIY should then step in, as a united voice of supporters for more matters that should not be ignored.

For want of a better office based anology, let Portchat negotiate what biscuits we get at break or where we go for the Christmas party, and TIY can handle the gender pay gap.