Southport 0-1 Boston - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Rls

Re: Southport 0-1 Boston - Match Thread

Post by Rls »

I’ve seen about 30 seconds in total. Half of which has been when the ball has been out of play . Cba persevering anymore with it. Oh well.

Have to watch the Scots and Welsh egg chasers on the Beeb instead.
Phila9037

Post by Phila9037 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:39 pm Boston are much better than us. Can’t see us getting anything from this.
Hopefully having the wind with us may help

Agree up to now we have not shown much apart from Carver hitting the bar
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Still cant get in!!!!!
sandgrounder 1965

Post by sandgrounder 1965 »

All good here in Cambridge Road.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Poor half - difficult conditions and a bit nightly towards the end of the half.
Not passed the ball well.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Got in at last. Hopefully we are going to trounce them in the second half!!!!!
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Isn’t this paint dry yet?
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

They look bigger & much better than us they must have spent big to assemble this team....
Falkland yellow

Post by Falkland yellow »

On an afternoon of trying to look for positives on and off the pitch, one thing that has improved the game in Covid times and should be retained going forward is the availability of spare match balls on the touchline. Stops time wasting and enables quick throwins if desired.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Hopeful long balls, inaccurate passing, poor first touch, terrible set pieces.
No change from last season or the season before that.
This is not a promotion-challenging team. Boston is.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:52 pm Hopeful long balls, inaccurate passing, poor first touch, terrible set pieces.
No change from last season or the season before that.
This is not a promotion-challenging team. Boston is.
Couldn’t agree more. The insistence on the long ball means we barely strung three passes together all day because as the manager shouted to Dan Hanford we always have to ‘get it _______ forward!’. Yes, Boston were good but they had one tactic and some set pieces to defend all day.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Men against boys I'm afraid. They never looked in danger. I will be very surprised if they are not in the top 3 at the end of the season. Just shows what a long way we have to go if we are going to be serious promotion contenders. They managed the game brilliantly.
Dewsnip

Post by Dewsnip »

The tactics today were back to those of last year. We got what we deserved. The passing was dreadful. It was poor for a lot of the game against Blyth, but Boston are obviously much better. We contributed to making them look good however. We have some good players, but we didn’t give ourselves a chance. Today was very disappointing.
David999

Post by David999 »

They got an early goal - then had the nouse to frustrate us . We didn’t have the creativity to break them down . They were simply better than us today - we move on to hopefully do one over Kettering
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Stream worked perfectly in the second half. However then I realised that it was fine in the first half after all, and the stop start passing and buffering was actually our performance, not t’internet.

We had 3 ball winners in midfield but no creativity. Carver needs someone to play off him. Watson doesn’t look like a game changer to me.

What happened to George Newell? Did he go off injured? If he did it must have been during the buffer.

Very depressing afternoon all round and that was before I heard about James Bond.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Same old story. When Morgan is not on his game, Southport are poor.
Bainbridge is not a midfielder.
We don't need 2 holding midfielders and a back 3.

Unfortunately with no midfield we were reliant on long balls and set pieces and most of those were overhit.

I've heard a rumour we have a loan signing lined up, but he is another young holding midfielder.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Thoroughly unenjoyable.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

I was sceptical about whether our summer dealings were enough to elevate us into the top tier of sides in the league, with the likes of Boston, Fylde, York etc, I think what we've seen so far this season is that they were not. I believe this squad is an improvement on last season, particularly in offensive areas, but yet again there is an obvious deficit between ourselves and the front runners.

If this season goes the distance we are going to be scrapping for that 7th place play-off spot and not the title. That's a big if however, given current events the integrity of the season must be in some doubt. Where does 7 points from 4 games leave us with PPG?!
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:19 pmWhere does 7 points from 4 games leave us with PPG?!
Can't be bothered to work out PPG, but win 50%, draw 25%, lose 25% would be a comfortable play-off place pretty much every year.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Route66 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:05 pm Men against boys I'm afraid. They never looked in danger. I will be very surprised if they are not in the top 3 at the end of the season. Just shows what a long way we have to go if we are going to be serious promotion contenders. They managed the game brilliantly.
I agree with most of what you say, but they did look in danger occasionally, and Carver should have scored early on. If he had done so, the balance of play might have been very different.

I only watched until 75 minutes when Virgin Media went down.

It’s early days to make judgements.