Southport 0-1 Boston - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Kempster911

Re: Southport 0-1 Boston - Match Thread

Post by Kempster911 »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:08 pm Thoroughly unenjoyable.
90 minutes of abysmal hoofball, about time this hopeless
so-called "tactic" was scrapped permanently.
issy

Post by issy »

Playing 3-5-2 we should have controlled midfield and had width - we had neither. Basic tactics in the wind is to keep it on the floor and certainly when you have the wind behind you (second half) you shoot at every opportunity - we did neither. Poor performance. We desperately need a creative midfielder. Solid at the back. 9 times out of 10 Hanford would have saved that (wear a cap next time) and he made other good saves and catches. Ali and Oliver were commanding in defence. Need a result at Kettering.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I thought we played quite well in the first half against the wind - sadly we didn't really turn up for the second and again we seemed to completely run out of energy. The final ball is lacking and we didn't really create anything ourselves. Boston look a very decent side though, and they will be challenging at the top.

Would like to see Vassallo start to take some of the creative burden off Morgan because every side seems to double up on him. I thought Woods should have replaced Watson for the last half-hour and we could have been a bit braver with subs, but Newell getting injured in the warm-up deprived us of a lot of options. Not the end of the world.

Mo Ali was very good today.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Boston are a good experienced side who will likely finish top four, and but for a mistake by the the otherwise excellent Hanford, Port could have held them, it's not as if they were carving us up. Thought we defended well but were scrappy overall, losing George just before kickoff can't have helped. Still sixth and it's been a decent start, on to Kettering.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:27 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:19 pmWhere does 7 points from 4 games leave us with PPG?!
Can't be bothered to work out PPG, but win 50%, draw 25%, lose 25% would be a comfortable play-off place pretty much every year.
1.10 points per game is always enough to avoid relegation.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

What was so depressing was that the result was obvious from the moment their goal went in. We were unable to change anything, just repeatedly doing the same thing in the hope that we might get lucky somehow. We saw this time and again in the last two seasons.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Everything else has changed in 2020 but some things don’t. A Liam Watson football team without a plan B. Sticking 7 past the Dog and Duck is great at the time.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Interesting that it’s only branded as hoofball when we lose. Our first goal last week came from a long ball down the centre of the pitch...
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

I think most of us accept the "hoofball" when it works, as we've seen plenty of it over the years to varying degrees of success. It's the lack of a different approach when it's not working that is more of a problem.
badger

Post by badger »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:14 pm What was so depressing was that the result was obvious from the moment their goal went in. We were unable to change anything, just repeatedly doing the same thing in the hope that we might get lucky somehow. We saw this time and again in the last two seasons.
It Is what it is No Plan on how to win a game.
Roday1878

Post by Roday1878 »

A game were we didn’t look out of our depth in my option, however with little chances created and the one real chance on goal missed, how can you expect to win the game. 5-3-2 formation is effective but needs a more creative midfielder at the top of the three, with Morgan and Benjamin in behind.

Defensively we looked solid with the exception of the soft goal - which seemed to be a lapse in concentration from the defence and Hanford; on more positive note, Charlie Oliver is an integral part of this team, a very good player.

On the point of ‘Hoofball’ a replacement for Sampson of similar stature is needed to be our target man, as the two up top yesterday rarely won a ball in the air when played long.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Funny how a Manager/Coach sees the game differently he maintains we did well & matched them, it was a poor weather day for football, my concern is twofold, we seem incapable of putting more than 2 passes together & we have no one now who runs at the defence, Watsons system has always been to get the ball forward as quick as possible, for the last 2 seasons it has come back too quick for my liking. The tactics are hard to watch & the score was inevitable after they took the lead. Who is responsible for these methods I don't know but a Coaching shake up with new ideas is needed as I feel the players we have are capable of better...
port4ever

Post by port4ever »

The live streaming was faultless over here in Spain. Very soft goal to concede.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

badger wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 am
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:14 pm What was so depressing was that the result was obvious from the moment their goal went in. We were unable to change anything, just repeatedly doing the same thing in the hope that we might get lucky somehow. We saw this time and again in the last two seasons.
It Is what it is No Plan on how to win a game.
Followed by a typically blase post match assessment which says it all.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Swedes wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 am I think most of us accept the "hoofball" when it works, as we've seen plenty of it over the years to varying degrees of success. It's the lack of a different approach when it's not working that is more of a problem.
Exactly this. I had prepared a two page rant about how we played but it’s basically all I said last season and after all it’s only football. Summarising, opponents like it when you don’t vary your play or provide other ways of breaking them down. If one tactic doesn’t work you can actually try others, when long ball works it’s fine but when it doesn’t - maybe change it? I know it won’t happen, this is how we play as Hanford was reminded when he didn’t put it downfield in the first half! It won’t change.
YTT

Post by YTT »

As the man says, “As i said, it is what it is,” I think we know what we are going to get from a Liam Watson team. Unfortunately so do the opposition.

The manager shouldn’t be satisfied or happy with that performance or we’ve made little to no progress over the last 2 seasons. It’s early days in the league season and it was always going to be a very different season for non footballing reasons but still got a job to do on the footballing side.

Never sure with Liam these days what he’s truly thinking or if he is trying to protect the players given a small squad? My gut feeling is he appears too relaxed and comfortable. Be good to hear from his assistant as might freshen it up a little post match?
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Usual over-reactions from the usual folk, I think. You'd think those who last year were speaking of us as dead-certs for relegation this season would be over the moon with such a comparatively positive start, so I do wonder what people really expect from the team. It would seem that others expect us to finish in the playoffs but don't expect us to lose a game to get there.

Boston are last years playoff finalists and will be up there again this season. We weren't well-beaten. Neither teams had many clear-cut opportunities. Hanford should really have saved from their goal, Carver should have scored his chance. It was dull - so very dull - and painful to watch us incapable of stringing two passes together, but I'm not sure what evidence there is so far to suggest we're on course to fail. It's still very early days.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

[quote=Ste_B post_id=1898 time=1604236551 user_id=270 so I do wonder what people really expect from the team.
[/quote]

A basic ability to pass the ball to another player wearing yellow.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

YTT wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:13 pm As the man says, “As i said, it is what it is,” I think we know what we are going to get from a Liam Watson team. Unfortunately so do the opposition.

The manager shouldn’t be satisfied or happy with that performance or we’ve made little to no progress over the last 2 seasons. It’s early days in the league season and it was always going to be a very different season for non footballing reasons but still got a job to do on the footballing side.

Never sure with Liam these days what he’s truly thinking or if he is trying to protect the players given a small squad? My gut feeling is he appears too relaxed and comfortable. Be good to hear from his assistant as might freshen it up a little post match?
I also agree that I found the post match interview somewhat concerning. The assertion was we had done quite well, performed to expectation, put the effort in, had narrowly lost, but that was OK as they will be a team in the mix at the end of the season.

Every team has a bad day and some days things do not work out and tactics fail - that is football and always will be. I also do not want to come across as a pessimist jumping on the team at any opportunity. But it was painful to watch us still playing to the same plan without a Plan B, C or D to go to for most of the Boston match. Against Blyth we did not need an alternative plan - we were simply better all over the pitch and overran them. That will not be the case against most teams in this league. Any teams who have us watched, must know exactly what to expect and how to set up against us.

Any manager who does not seem overly concerned that his team has lost a home game against another team likely to be promotion rival just seems a bit odd to me. As YTT says perhaps he is too relaxed and comfortable
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:15 pm and painful to watch us incapable of stringing two passes together, but I'm not sure what evidence there is so far to suggest we're on course to fail.
I think you might be answering your own question! However, you make a valid point that it is too early to judge, but I do think we need to have more options to call upon when we open the box marked "Tactics".