Southport 0-1 Boston - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Route66

Re: Southport 0-1 Boston - Match Thread

Post by Route66 »

Agree with CFORD-SIX. We need to be more concerned about basically making one chance in a game!!!
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

I managed to watch the final 15 of the first half and most of the second (work gets in the way). Personally I thought that the team looked reasonably solid. Cutting edge was a little blunt but that had more to do with good game management by the Boston team than a lack of guile or effort on our part I would suggest. An interesting burst of Liam's fruity frustrations in the second half brought me some mirth as well as illustrating where he saw things not going to plan: "[...] Fuckin' push up!!" Or words to that affect :D (Que complaints from the delicate of nature). Over-hit passes (given conditions), defenders sticking with the runners and contriving to have bodies in the right place at the right time to get blocks in (Boston) and an overall calm and structured execution of game plan by Boston frustrated and ultimately bagged the points. They reminded me of US during our first championship winning run. Sadly, we do not presently have a Dom Morley keeping everything as it should be in the middle of the pitch or a Terry Fearns goal promise. We do, however have some good players and with a little more experience sprinkled in, this over enthusiastic fool can see a very bright future.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:00 pm
YTT wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:13 pm As the man says, “As i said, it is what it is,” I think we know what we are going to get from a Liam Watson team. Unfortunately so do the opposition.

The manager shouldn’t be satisfied or happy with that performance or we’ve made little to no progress over the last 2 seasons. It’s early days in the league season and it was always going to be a very different season for non footballing reasons but still got a job to do on the footballing side.

Never sure with Liam these days what he’s truly thinking or if he is trying to protect the players given a small squad? My gut feeling is he appears too relaxed and comfortable. Be good to hear from his assistant as might freshen it up a little post match?
I also agree that I found the post match interview somewhat concerning. The assertion was we had done quite well, performed to expectation, put the effort in, had narrowly lost, but that was OK as they will be a team in the mix at the end of the season.

Every team has a bad day and some days things do not work out and tactics fail - that is football and always will be. I also do not want to come across as a pessimist jumping on the team at any opportunity. But it was painful to watch us still playing to the same plan without a Plan B, C or D to go to for most of the Boston match. Against Blyth we did not need an alternative plan - we were simply better all over the pitch and overran them. That will not be the case against most teams in this league. Any teams who have us watched, must know exactly what to expect and how to set up against us.

Any manager who does not seem overly concerned that his team has lost a home game against another team likely to be promotion rival just seems a bit odd to me. As YTT says perhaps he is too relaxed and comfortable
Mr Watson has it easy secure in the knowledge he is
virtually untouchable being within the club hierarchy.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Personal view, I trust the most successful non-league manager in our history, also proven with other clubs at our level; to bring our club the on-pitch success we all crave. Liam seemed "relaxed" within the post match interview for good reason. He was animated on the touch line during the match because apart form the defensive lapse that led to their goal, we had matched one of the teams tipped to win promotion at the end of this season. The final ball wasn't there, partly because some days it just does not run for you and largely because a Boston team carrying a lot of experience got their game plan right. They snuffed out much of our threat and that is to be admired. At those times a Southport side have done just that during successful campaigns, we have been overjoyed (whilst opposing fan forums have often been ringing with gnashing teeth and complaints about a lack of plans "B" to Z.)

Liam has brought in some good players, all that we now need is an injection of experience, a player or two that will shout where needed, help the younger ones be in the right place at the right time, maintain calm on the field. Such players are perhaps a little more difficult to find now then previously; but they are out there and I am sure that our manager will find them.
David999

Post by David999 »

Good and well deserved support for our manager there JG - yes he has the contacts and the nouse to fill out the squad but it may take a bit of time !