Kettering 0-1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Route66

Re: Kettering 0-1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Route66 »

Very poor game. Kettering lacked any threat except for corners and one shot that brought an excellent save from Dan. We lacked any forward threat (missed the goal like everyone else!) Admittedly the pitch was poor but we gave the ball away far too often. Given the circumstances of arriving late and no George Newell a good win. Hope Ali is okay? As their commentators said he was man of the match.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

Long journney, coach stuck in traffic, bitterly cold, crap surroundings... a 0-1 away win is the perfect result in these conditions, well done for digging in.

That's 10 points from 5 games now, but I can't help but feel we still haven't really clicked yet. Despite the changes to the playing staff and tactics, we still seem to have the same qualities and deficiencies as last season; hard to beat, work hard, strong at the back, but lacking much forward guile. Hopefully that will come with time as we settle in to the new system.
CheeseAndPort

Post by CheeseAndPort »

YTT won’t be happy after that result! #exchairmanissues

Great performance from the lads!
YTT

Post by YTT »

CheeseAndPort wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:34 pm YTT won’t be happy after that result! #exchairmanissues

Great performance from the lads!
Another solid contribution. Did you watch it? Oh and the team got 3 points away :D
haigavel

Post by haigavel »

In addition to the 3 away points,the lads have achieved the best league goal average of the 158 clubs in the seven top leagues in England.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Well done - not a classic game - but 3 points hard earned.

On a separate topic the BBC website shows all National League North games postponed for the next month. I was aware that all grass roots sports were on hold for a month during lockdown, but I had thought (maybe mistakenly) that NLN games would continue??
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:39 am Well done - not a classic game - but 3 points hard earned.

On a separate topic the BBC website shows all National League North games postponed for the next month. I was aware that all grass roots sports were on hold for a month during lockdown, but I had thought (maybe mistakenly) that NLN games would continue??
Ignore the BBC their useless we are classed as an elite club so all games set to go ahead. The BBC had our match last night as postponed. No idea who works for the beeb but it’s incompetence of the highest level
badger

Post by badger »

Jonny Smith wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:57 am
CFORD-SIX wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:39 am Well done - not a classic game - but 3 points hard earned.

Ignore the BBC their useless we are classed as an elite club so all games set to go ahead. The BBC had our match last night as postponed. No idea who works for the beeb but it’s incompetence of the highest level
Good win and 3 points in the bag. AS for the BBC they are so out of touch Its sad. ;)
Sam

Post by Sam »

I'd hardly call it incompetence, i doubt I was the only one who wondered if our games were exempt or not. The rules are as clear as mud.

Now out points per game has gone from 1.1 to 2, is it less depressing on here yet?
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Sam wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:26 pm
I'd hardly call it incompetence, i doubt I was the only one who wondered if our games were exempt or not. The rules are as clear as mud.

Now out points per game has gone from 1.1 to 2, is it less depressing on here yet?
I understand you thinking it is not incompetence but they are clueless their forever making mistakes.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Well done Port, an excellent victory on the road. I can’t help thinking 90% of the games will be attritional and having a good defence leaves us better placed than most of the others, to steal close games. We would have conceded here last season and ditto against Chorley at home too.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Can someone pass me the popcorn?
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

[/quote]

I understand you thinking it is not incompetence but they are clueless their forever making mistakes.
[/quote]

It's "they're".
People in glass houses.
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Afternoon all

Just a polite reminder, if we could try and do our level best to not be dicks to each other, that would be grand!

Got a good thing going, let's not spoil it!

Love from Port Chat
sandgrounder 1965

Post by sandgrounder 1965 »

Well said Nic.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Sam wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:26 pm
Given the 'lockdown' isn't planned to start until Thursday then why would there have been any confusion over this game?

Unless they, like me, read the Kettering match thread from last month and thought the game had been called off again...
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

portchat wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm Afternoon all

Just a polite reminder, if we could try and do our level best to not be dicks to each other, that would be grand!

Love from Port Chat
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Port Yellow

Post by Port Yellow »

Well done Liam and the lads. Just important we keep the points tally ticking over during what is going to be a heavily interrupted season.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Really chuffed the Port won, a little less "chuffed" that I was under the impression the match had been called off so didn't check in with match updates (was working last night, but one of the service users in the house in which I work over Tuesday night to Wednesday morning really enjoyed the live stream last time we had a home match midweek).
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

tonyhey wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:43 pm
portchat wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm Afternoon all

Love from Port Chat
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cool comment from PT :lol: Sounds like a James, but equally might be a Nic (ism) - whichever it was, more please :-)