FT: Telford 1 - 1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
mark thomas

Re: FT: Telford 1 - 1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by mark thomas »

decent away point but it feels a bit sour because we were on top for a lot of that match, they offered little threat.
Banging header from Mo, but good free kick from Daniels, he always scores zingers against us.
York next!
issy

Post by issy »

A much better performance than Kettering, but gave 2 points away. Why did we let a Telford player run 30 yards to the edge of our box without a tackle? Connor Woods is not a striker. Why did Laim wait until the 89th minute to bring Watson on? Again poor tactics against 10 Men (need to keep possession and move the ball around, stretching the opposition, we didn't do that).
Only looked dangerous on corners, free kicks and long throw ins. We need a midfielder that can open up a defence - easier said than done though. Disappointing, but a solid performance.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

oh and by the way, I thought that Captain Morgan (ay ay Capt) had a fine game as did Russ alongside.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Definitely 2 pts thrown away. I don't understand not bringing Newell on to kill the game off when they were down to 10 men? It was a good free kick from them but we certainly need to be sharper up front if we are going to win close games. The defence looks solid.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

We expect too much from what we have got, we need a better midfielder & a Goalscorer but where will they come from? Watto gets the best he can from limited resources, if the season does finish we might just squeak it into the play offs but no more, if Mr Kyle digs deep you never know , Telford have a strong team on paper Oswell Vaughan Streete Daniels so a draw good result...
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

Two similar teams, Telford are in our 'mini-league' of top half play-off challengers who will be with ourselves in that 6th - 12th bracket come the end of the season, so an away point and two taken off them is not the end of the world. I wouldn't read into the red card as it rarely benfits us playing against ten men. Teams who move the ball around usually gain the biggest advantage when the opposition goes a man down, but when the focus is on set pieces it doesn't make a great difference.

My main disappointment is our inability to score from open play against anyone half decent. We have now played Boston, Hereford, Chorley and Telford and scored ZERO goals from open play in those four matches, that is an absolutely awful looking stat regardless of where the league table sees us. I was hoping we would grow into the system (and there is still time) but it's not quite right. I wonder how long Watson will leave it before shaking things up.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

A decent point we aren’t losing and I hope we can keep building. I was surprised Newell didn’t come on but that’s LW decision.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Agree those two sides are in the mini mid table, outside shout of play offs, teams.

Don’t think today told is anything we didn’t know about where we are at. Not sure how Liam can shake it up given what we’ve got is thin on the ground.

Would have Taken a point before kick off.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

How are Gloucester up there? Have they suddenly got lots of money? Yet another team overtaking us. The story of the last 40 years as more and more go by.
Why do we just keep accepting that the best we can do is somewhere between 6th and 12th?
Last edited by Sandgrounder SE on Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

Obviously a point dropped against ten men when 1 up against a team no better than us.
There never seems to be much space for us to play in.
In the higher leagues teams play with two wide men available when attacking so giving their defenders an outlet and stretching the opposition.
Ali once again the stand out player and Morgan had a good game as did Hansford.
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:04 pm How are Gloucester up there? Have they suddenly got lots of money? Yet another team overtaking us. The story of the last 40 years as more and more go by.
Why do we just keep accepting that the best we can do is somewhere between 6th and 12th?
The answer is yes, loads of it. Unlike us, when we had it, they have used their wealth to buy a talented strike force consisting of Asante, McClure and Mensah.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

loyal jay wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:20 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:04 pm How are Gloucester up there? Have they suddenly got lots of money? Yet another team overtaking us. The story of the last 40 years as more and more go by.
The answer is yes, loads of it. Unlike us, when we had it, they have used their wealth to buy a talented strike force consisting of Asante, McClure and Mensah.
I think it’s disingenuous to say we accept that 6th To 12 th is okay - unfortunately it’s No longer the same league with Hinckley, Vauxhall And a shed load of other village teams who lie down and die. Darlington, Chester, York , Boston are all decent clubs it’s a tough league to get out of ask Stockport. Get the right formula like Harrogate and you’ve got a chance to go all the way , they still have 6 or 7 Players from the conf north days . Cheer up, we’ve started quite well have a young team and will finish higher than Gloucester complete with their super ball bouncing fake pitch 7 feet higher than before they were forced to move.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Decent performance, but we didn't get at them when we went down to 10 men.
I think we will be pushing for a playoff spot, but we need to score more goals. We seem to be relying on set pieces and long throws.
Need a creative midfielder and a striker.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

We have two good players sitting on the bench who can score goals from open play. Instead we rely on getting a lucky bounce from endless long throws.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

We're at the same level we were 40 years ago so for every club overtaking us there must be a similar number dropping below us. We've had 3 promotions to the level above in that time. I guess it's not a lot to shout about and we do seem to have more than our fair share of mediocrity but there are plenty clubs who spent years above us only to fade into obscurity or oblivion.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

For every Gloucester there's a Buxton, Salisbury, Macclesfield, Matlock, Stafford, Workington, Droylsden etc.
Sandy Grounder

Post by Sandy Grounder »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:19 pm We have two good players sitting on the bench who can score goals from open play. Instead we rely on getting a lucky bounce from endless long throws.
Mr Negative is back! George is declared unfit during the warm up last week so why risk him today?

Having had a look through your previous posts I am bemused that “fans” like are you are allowed on here whilst others are banned.

1 -1 Telford - 5 posts
Kettering 0-1 one post to say “well done Nic”
Boston - 8 posts
Blyth - 1 post
Chorley - 1 post
South Shields - 5 posts

A very clear pattern of negativity building here!
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Sandy Grounder wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:42 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:19 pm We have two good players sitting on the bench who can score goals from open play. Instead we rely on getting a lucky bounce from endless long throws.
Mr Negative is back! George is declared unfit during the warm up last week so why risk him today?

Having had a look through your previous posts I am bemused that “fans” like are you are allowed on here whilst others are banned.

1 -1 Telford - 5 posts
Kettering 0-1 one post to say “well done Nic”
Boston - 8 posts
Blyth - 1 post
Chorley - 1 post
South Shields - 5 posts

A very clear pattern of negativity building here!

At the risk of repeating myself, this is a forum to discuss the football. If people view a performance negatively that’s their prerogative. If you disagree, debate the issue.

The only bans dished out have been for those who have registered accounts without providing the requested info or for registering accounts solely to attack individuals and users on this forum.

This is the sort of behaviour we are trying to move away from.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I don't always agree with SSE, but you can't doubt their support of the team.

A Telford fan friend of mine apologises for their "God awful stream".
Sandy Grounder

Post by Sandy Grounder »

There is a difference between viewing a performance negatively, and using portchat to enforce negativity against the club , knowing that the club don’t go on to defend itself.

It’s almost as though portchat itself revels in negativity, indeed positively supports it, as the portchat administrators only seem to step in when the more positive amongst us try to call out those who spread negativity.