FT: Telford 1 - 1 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE

Re: FT: Telford 1 - 1 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Sandy Grounder
As I’m currently editing a book on the threats to Free Speech it’s quite amusing to see I can’t even come on here without people wanting to cancel me.
I’m sorry I’m too often quite negative but after sixty years of supporting -and I mean supporting - my team, disappointment is almost a reflex.
I will always support the team and in recent seasons I have usually travelled about 15000 miles a year to do so, given where I live. I love nothing more than a resounding win, but they have been very few and far between in the last decade. Games like Boston last week and Telford today are much more common.
We have had some good players but somehow we just don’t ever seem to progress, do we?
PS we do have some great volunteers and supporters who deserve much more
Unibond Awakes

Post by Unibond Awakes »

The root cause for long standing supporters is to cap it all the last 10 seasons have been utter dross with the exception of one...fact...some earlier posting commented on Gloucester who are top with money with no ground yet..we had an investor for some 18 months who lost interest despite stating he was in it for the long haul....it really could only happen to SFC.

accrington / Morecambe the former back in league after 44 years have stabilised and will survive yet again ( Morecambe) Barrow a basket case somehow in the EFL ...for Port to settle for 6-12 in the NLN is not unacceptable for the fans who saw far better days
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

Sandy Grounder wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:15 pm There is a difference between viewing a performance negatively, and using portchat to enforce negativity against the club , knowing that the club don’t go on to defend itself.

It’s almost as though portchat itself revels in negativity, indeed positively supports it, as the portchat administrators only seem to step in when the more positive amongst us try to call out those who spread negativity.
You, like Cheese & Port, can have a week's ban to go and cool off.

Some points in reply:
- SSE has posted on Portchat for, I think, at least 16 years. You've made 2 posts to have a pop at someone for reasons that aren't really clear. So the idea that you put yourself in the "more positive amongst us" genuinely gave me a real chuckle.
- Your claim that anyone is "using portchat to enforce negativity against the club" is laughable. Between Nic and I we have put in around 20 years voluntary service at the club. We have both, sometimes fairly, sometimes unfairly, been on the end of a Portchat kicking over the years. All we have asked is that users don't bring personal vendettas or attacks against other forum users. It isn't an unfair request.
- The club has considerable right of reply, albeit indirectly. On the pitch, in its day to day actions, in its interviews and media coverage. Every single person on here wants the club to succeed.
- We have tried to provide much more clarity to admin decisions than has ever been available before.
- If all this carries on, I will limit registrations and email addresses, I will prevent 'appear offline' and generally make the forum less accessible as to dissuade people being assholes. We wanted to make sure supporters could have a say, not babysit anons.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:30 pm Sandy Grounder
As I’m currently editing a book on the threats to Free Speech it’s quite amusing to see I can’t even come on here without people wanting to cancel me.
I’m sorry I’m too often quite negative but after sixty years of supporting -and I mean supporting - my team, disappointment is almost a reflex.
I will always support the team and in recent seasons I have usually travelled about 15000 miles a year to do so, given where I live. I love nothing more than a resounding win, but they have been very few and far between in the last decade. Games like Boston last week and Telford today are much more common.
We have had some good players but somehow we just don’t ever seem to progress, do we?
PS we do have some great volunteers and supporters who deserve much more
I for one think that you’re no doubt one of the best supporters the club has and accept your total frustration with performances. We all deal with losing and non achievement at football differently so for my part you’re a very welcome and committed contributor, so don’t let that change. I’m resigned to trying to stay upbeat despite the fact that football watching for me is 90% disappointment and 10% enjoyment. In another life I have promised myself to have nothing to do with football whatsoever. In the meantime let’s hope we get a better result Next time out 👌😂
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I didn’t see any negativity. Just objective criticism.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

I was not able to see the livestream yesterday, so no comment on the match itself, but good to us get the away point.

The league table looks very odd at the moment - some teams have played 6 games whilst others only 3 (I assume due to Covid issues). Early days, but some serious fixture congestions coming up as has already been noted. I do hope the Mickey Mouse cups will be given a miss this year. Also, in the Championship every team has played 11 games and their season is nearly a quarter complete!!
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

I have to say I totally agree with TrickyDicky re SSE. Without doubt one of our most committed supporters and one that has my upmost respect.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Odd to be a bit downbeat after an away draw, probably should have won, but with games against York followed by Spennymoor we will know where we are in reality. Without someone to run at defenders with the ball at feet, I cant see were the goals will come from. Liam Watson said yesterday that Carver wasn't sure to play as a target man or run behind defenders, surely a tactical issue this, we had Newell our best natural striker on standby but he isn't called upon?? As I said earlier be lovely to have these good players fans talk about but I am not sure where they are or could the club afford em, perhaps Watson Jnr & Connor Woods could be employed wide, we cry out for some speed & trickery on the wings, its always worked at this level, by the way to Ian Kyle all the above advice is free......... :lol:
phgtwo

Post by phgtwo »

Well, I thought that was our best performance of the season so far and look at it as one point gained and not two points lost, having a man sent off usually limits the attacking options and not a teams defence.
I thought Morgs had a much better game but Dylan was anonymous but get them both on song, who knows what we can do.I would have liked our attacking options off the bench to be brought on sooner as well.

The commentators off Radio Shropshire looking at us from the outside, were most complimentary about the team so if they as followers of another club can be positive about us then why are we being so negative amongst ourselves.
This negativity by supporters ( including long standing ones ) so early in this abnormal season baffles me, Liam has always said about seeing where we are after 10 games and yet, we have been writing the season off after 1 game, 2 games ,etc.
Try having some patience, the team is still a work-in-progress

COYY
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:30 pm
I’m currently editing a book on the threats to Free Speech
Surely such a book should not be edited?
And if free speech was under threat it wouldn't get published.
:D
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Don't think we should be at all downbeat, early days sure, but Port are 3rd in the table on merit.
Think that Boston gave us our reality check, Liam and lads will know what to expect the next two games.
Yes, the goals are scarce, but that's ok so far because our defensive unit is strong, two goals conceded in six games is GOOD GOING.
Like Morgs said in his interview, we can go toe to toe with anyone in this league, just need those little flashes of quality at the right time and the odd break.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

Both teams could have scored a couple more both keepers had good games.
They played more open attacking football with ten men.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

cobby7 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:20 pm Both teams could have scored a couple more both keepers had good games.
They played more open attacking football with ten men.
The most nerve racking part is logging in to watch.
Portoldie

Post by Portoldie »

Decent result but would like to hear where we are player wise. You'd have to assume Newell is not fully fit or surely would have been used. 3 games coming up in 7 days is going to be very difficult with no-one to come into the squad.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Sandy Grounder wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:15 pm There is a difference between viewing a performance negatively, and using portchat to enforce negativity against the club , knowing that the club don’t go on to defend itself.

It’s almost as though portchat itself revels in negativity, indeed positively supports it, as the portchat administrators only seem to step in when the more positive amongst us try to call out those who spread negativity.
Hmmm, Sandy Grounder, there is almost something familiar about the tenure of your first two contributions on here. It is a bit like the sort of stuff we saw on the old Port chat. Sandgrounder SE, if it is the same person which I believe it is, was a well respected member of the old forum. His observations might not always be listed on the "club cheerleaders board" but they are invariably fair and sincere.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:22 am I was not able to see the livestream yesterday, so no comment on the match itself, but good to us get the away point.

The league table looks very odd at the moment - some teams have played 6 games whilst others only 3 (I assume due to Covid issues). Early days, but some serious fixture congestions coming up as has already been noted. I do hope the Mickey Mouse cups will be given a miss this year. Also, in the Championship every team has played 11 games and their season is nearly a quarter complete!!
FA Cup 4th Qual and 1st round are also fixture clashes, so that could have caused some missed games. We know Kettering had a Covid postponement, but has anyone else?
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

Would have been happy for a point before the game and was encouraged by the performance but......

I presume Newell was not fit otherwise he would have been the ideal replacement when we were on top. I'm sure he would have poked home one of those Long Throws or corners home, which did cause chaos. That said I would have liked Watson on earlier.

We actually seemed to play a slightly different shape on Saturday with Woods and Vassallo as advanced wide midfielders with Carver up front on his own. The system seems to work pretty well but it's easy for the back 3 to quickly turn into a Back 5 and the gap between Midfield and Strikers get's too big at times and unless Morgan plays deeper the distribution from midfield is not as good as it could be. But he's also our best playmaker and a goal threat so need to strike a balance. Will help if and when Marcus Wood gets back but we also need another striker, Carver has done well and works his arse off but he must be shattered.
Swad Deutsche Port

Post by Swad Deutsche Port »

Can only assume that Liam has one eye on the tightly-packed run of upcoming fixtures for keeping Newell, Watson and Winnard on the bench. A good point nonetheless.
Churchtown Yellow

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

One of those where you’d have taken a point before kick off (well I would!), but where its disappointing to only end up with a point after being a goal and a man up.

We’ve conceded 2 goals in 6 games though, a goalkeeping error and an excellent free-kick. We’ve played some good sides - Telford for me will be up there, Boston will win it. The next few games are tough though - if we can take 4 points from York and Spennymoor, that would be a good return. BPA after that (if they sort their floodlights out) is another tough one.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ill be glad if we take anything at all from the next two games.