RIP Tony Waiters

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe

RIP Tony Waiters

Post by Redrobe »

Former Blackpool and England goalkeeper, Tony Waiters, has passed away today. Not an ex Port player I know but he was Southport born and a former KGV pupil. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Tony.
Stratford Excile

Re: RIP Tony Waiters

Post by Stratford Excile »

How sad.

I remember that he used to be a lifeguard on Southport beach in the early 60's.

Great goalkeeper.
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Yes, that’s correct. He worked with a former Port player Verdi Godwin (who discovered Tony, amongst others). When Tony became manager at Plymouth I Verdi did some scouting for him and I think he played a part in Plymouth snatching up Chorley forward Paul Mariner just as Southport were trying to sign him.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Indeed RIP Tony Waiters, not many Southport Born England Full Internationals if any....
Last edited by Alan Spences Pupil on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
old gold and black

Post by old gold and black »

Tony played for Southport Amateurs(Leyland Road) a club formed mainly by lads who went to KGV one of whom was my brother and being so much younger I used to go along to watch them on Saturday afternoons playing in the Lancashire Amateur League. I would lean on one of Tony`s goalposts and of course he had a ready made ball boy. Tony was a big chap but his brother Mick was even bigger and the centre half of the team. They were run by a man called John Foster who had a withered arm but it didn`t stop him from carrying out the necessary secretarial duties and ensuring the kit was laundered. I went to watch Tony at Blackpool against Manchester United and they put six goals (Bobby Charlton, Albert Quixall and Dennis Law) past him, in their next match the only Blackpool players who retained their places were Tony, Jimmy Armfield, Stan Mathews and Dave Dury. RIP Tony and thank you for those Saturday afternoons I spent on your goalpost.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Very sad news. I was in the same year group as Tony at KGV in 1948. We used to compete as to who should be goalie in the break time kickabouts. Oddly, sometimes it was me. However, any comparison is irrelevant as Tony went on to play for Blackpool (displacing George Farm) and England whilst the peak for me was Hesketh Casuals! Strangely enough the last time I saw Tony was 1960 in Nyasaland (Malawi) when Blackpool FC were on a post season trip to Central Africa and I was working for the Colonial Service there. I know he emigrated to Canada and at one time was coach to the national team. I well remember the days of Southport Amateurs and recall Tony and Stan Rimmer being the stars.
old gold and black

Post by old gold and black »

Stan Rimmer was a steward at Haig Ave until about 18 months ago and I have a photo of him and my brother at Southport station, Stan was a good player as were several of the lads that played in that team. Stan and I often talked about those days and I kept him up to date about my bro who emigrated to Australia. Some of the names I remember from that team Idris Woodfine, Reg Stelfox, Alan Styche and Keith Hardisty. I last saw Tony at Haig Ave when he was coaching Liverpool Youth team who were playing Southport Reserves he went on to manage Plymouth Argyle and then managed the Canadian National team taking them to the 1984 Summer Olympics were they lost to Dungas Brazil in the quarter final on penalties then 2 years later they qualified for the 86 World Cup Finals a feat they have never achieved since. Much of Canadas success in the womens game is put down to the coaching methods of Tony Waiters a Southport lad we can all be proud of.