Southport 2-3 York City - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Alan Spences Pupil

Re: Southport 2-3 York City - Match Thread

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

They were a lot better than us we backed off a lot 4 free kicks inc.1 last Sat & 3 tonight cost us goals, poor discipline I thought Archer did well on debut, can see Winnard playing this Saturday on that showing mid table beckons....
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Some nice moments. Watson's goal was good - perhaps we can sell him on.
But yet more evidence that we are miles away from being a challenger in this league.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

I can’t understand or get my head around why Liam isn’t playing Newell. The guy is quality and a natural finisher. It baffles me a real head scratcher
Terrace Dweller

Post by Terrace Dweller »

Just in case it might be relevant with streaming problems today, I wasn't asked for an access code tonight.
issy

Post by issy »

We should be able to correct deficiencies, namely free kicks (3 goals in 2 games is not acceptable). On 5 occasions in the last 2 games we haven't defended short corners (easily corrected) and we were very lucky that they did not lead to goals. Archer gives us more options up front.
Poor performance against a good side. it puts things into perspective. We are not a play off team, yet.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

I don't think we played badly by any means and the second goal, particularly, came from a very dubious free kick.

That said we should be able to defend set pieces better and so there's little complaint about the result. My concern is that we're 7 matches in and, Blyth aside, we struggle to build upon any sort of lead we create. We seem to get a goal ahead then sit back a little, inviting pressure. It's a soft underbelly that teams like York will take advantage of.

I remain of the view we could get to lower play off places on current form... The frustration is that, but for a few simple mistakes, we could pushing the top teams on points.
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Agree about ref but why cant we defend free kicks,cost us points over last two games.What happened to playing on floor.Newell will need service not having ball humped up field then hope to win it.
Sandgrounder SE

Terrace dweller - I wasn’t asked either as I mentioned earlier in the thread.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Question to Port Chat: Please can you put this question forward.

Why is George Newell not being selected when he’s our best striker??

Thanks
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

We looked slightly impressive going forward, if a bit one dimensional. Watson took his goal well and he has a real air of excitement for me whenever he gets the ball. I don't care if people disagree with the foul that led to the free kick for the third goal, that's irrelevant. You have to then defend the set piece and we were so soft allowing the man to get to the byline and pull it back. It was obvious that was the intention...we looked sloppy at that moment. I'm also not sure what happened to the two in front of the centre backs...they seemed to be nowhere at times. The rugby style kick for territory won't win enough games at this level to win leagues anymore. We have to come up with a Plan B, C and D etc.. A few plus points but more questions marks for me. I'd like to see some character and bottle from a few out there.
Last edited by Big Mac 1985 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dewsnip

Post by Dewsnip »

A needless free kick given away by Bainbridge which allowed them back in. We desperately need something extra in centre midfield (an attacker, or someone else to allow Morgan play a more advanced role). Benjamin and Woods gave us nothing when they came on. We did well in spells. Oliver won’t be with us for long I fear, real class.
siddle

Post by siddle »

Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:00 pm Question to Port Chat: Please can you put this question forward.

Thanks
He is injured
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

siddle wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:04 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:00 pm Question to Port Chat: Please can you put this question forward.

Thanks
He is injured
But he has been on bench last few games? Seems strange that if he was injured
Sandgrounder SE

Why is he on the bench then? This is a very thin squad if we can't fill a bench with five fit players,
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Disappointing result after leading twice, but York looked experienced and organised, got the breaks.
Losing back to back home matches is a bummer, but the fixture list has given us a run against teams - Spennymoor included -
who can realistically think about winning this division.
Am heartened that we've matched Boston and York quite well, could arguably have had a point in both games if we'd defended or goalkept better,
and hope we can go one better on Saturday. Easier said than done.
Good Jordan scored on his debut and also that Niall's off the mark in the league.
At some point we get Marcus Wood back too, am optimistic that we can gel and get stronger.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 pm Terrace dweller - I wasn’t asked either as I mentioned earlier in the thread.
I think that if you log in late it takes you straight there.
Sandgrounder SE

I wasn't late. I was 15 minutes early
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

You have to feel for the volunteers & James Tedford tonight let down by the Streaming Company, sadly sums the state of play & struggles SFC face they cant win sometimes, they will be well peed off tonight on all counts .....
Churchtown Yellow

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Not a bad performance by any stretch. The second free-kick was dubious and the third too, but we have to defend that one better. Sean Newton must love playing us, feels like he scores every time.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

York looked professional (with both negative and positive connotations) stronger, more experienced and organised,
Some sloppy stuff from some of our players tonight.
Once they scored, defeat seemed inevitable.