Southport 2-3 York City - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe fan

Re: Southport 2-3 York City - Match Thread

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 pm I wasn't late. I was 15 minutes early
I think that I read that if you log in after 7.30 it takes you straight to the screen.
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

To lose the game in that fashion is extremely disappointing, naivety cost us. Poor decision making has costs us 4/6 points in the last two games, it’s so cliche, but you’re at your most vulnerable when you score.

Judging by our results, we’ve attained points against teams we’d expect and lost against those gunning for the title / playoff places. We haven’t reached the 10 game mark, but it’s looking like an upper mid table finish to me...
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

I think tonight proves the big difference between part time v full time. York just looked so much more organised and fitter, unfortunately this is just the way it is and it will always be a struggle competing when your hardly having any training days to get the lads together.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

loyal jay wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:17 pm To lose the game in that fashion is extremely disappointing, naivety cost us. Poor decision making has costs us 4/6 points in the last two games, it’s so cliche, but you’re at your most vulnerable when you score.
Totally agree with this. Game management was schoolboy. If we can sort that out, we'd be a much better side. I think we have the tools to do well in this league but need some know-how.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

Another game against one of the better sides in the league and another defeat, we are nothing if not predictable. I sound like a broken record, but as soon as we play anybody above our own mini-league, there is an obvious gulf in class.

I only saw the second half (as did most people by the sounds of it) so I can only pass verdict on that, but York were comfortably the better side in possession and out of it. They looked after the ball well and had that balance between keeping possession and going long when necessary, a balance we could do with. They blended this with some pace in attacking areas, and an appreciation for the darker side of the game with a few tricks played on the referee. It was almost like watching a proper Liam Watson team from his previous spells. The second freekick was never a foul, but I find it hard to complain too loudly because ultimately the best team won on the night.

We continue to look like square pegs in round holes playing this shape, Morgan was all at sea and the widemen are neither wingers or inside forwards. When we do have possession in the opposition half the only plan is to work the ball to the wing backs, create an angle and knock as many balls into the box as often as possible. There's nothing wrong with that option but we rely on it as our sole attacking method. I think this needs changing and quickly, unlike previous seasons we actually have some technically gifted players. I look at Oliver, Woods, Benjamin, Bainbridge, if they were allowed a little more freedom I think they could shine at this level. I felt genuinely sorry for Bainbridge in the second half, we've got a lad who has got into Sunderland's first team and has obvious ability, and we are forcing him to knock percentage balls into the box. I felt like asking him what on earth he is doing here and wouldn't he prefer to join a football team. Liam's strength is to take a rabble of non-league players and make them hard to beat, we have benefitted from that since he returned. Turning the dross he inherited into a compact eleven was no mean feat. We are now at the stage where we have that stable grounding and we need to add creativity and guile, I have seen no evidence of that whatsoever.

It may sound like I am being overly critical but this is our fourth season at this level and we no look no more likely to return than the day we dropped out. There seems to be a level of acceptance that top half National North is our level now and it probably is. I still find consecutive home defeats in this league hard to take though, even if this is now 'the new normal.'
Last edited by Port on the Kent on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

I didn’t see the first half but it seems it was even.
We shouldn’t be giving them a chance to be fouled in those positions.
Apart from the three free kicks that was the best we have played this season.
It was a good footballing match to watch.
All the others despite us winning three were a poor watch.
I think our new pitch helps for better football.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

cobby7 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:44 pm I think our new pitch helps for better football.
We should be looking to take advantage of that surface then.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Unfortunately we couldn't cope with Bunn, who caused havoc all half.
We played some nice passing football at times, but lacked that cutting edge to break them down.
Three set pieces conceded from, but they had plenty of other chances.
We said the real test would be these games against the fancied teams and we have picked up 1pt from Boston, Telford and York.
Spennymoor are fancied as well, so will be tough.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

We didn't play badly but York were much better in the second half and even when we scored the second you still felt that we would do well to get a point. I presume Newell is injured as he must be worth a place in the team. We can pass the ball when we try to keep it on the flooe. Very naive defending for the third goal. Their manager even told us what they were going to do but we were asleep!
YTT

Post by YTT »

I actually enjoyed the 50 minutes I got to see and some perspective required. That York side should be a nailed on top 2 side.

We have limited resources. We know we are lacking in the middle of the park and suspect at some point Liam may well resort to 4-4-2.

I felt for Bainbridge tonight as we asked him to play a role that’s just not him.

Good goal from Niall whom I’ve been impressed with. Thought Ali struggled. As has been said we gave away silly free kicks and got caught napping. Lack of experience and know how shows against better sides. Their third was poor and not convinced Handford shouldn’t have been saving the second. They beat us at our own set piece game and were the better side.

If we are going to persist with this formation then Doyle has to work on his delivery on crosses as it was poor time and again tonight.

Not all doom and gloom losing by a goal to a very well fancied side and we are just a couple of players short which is frustrating.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Soft decisions for the free kicks that led to all three York goals. Switched off for the winner. Newell situation doesn’t make sense, if he’s not fit then why is he even at the ground in the current circumstances?

Pitch seems to be holding up well. The playing area looked narrower than ever tonight!
badger

Post by badger »

York played the better football passed it faster so they won.
Sam

Re: Southport 0-1 York City - Match Thread

Post by Sam »

portchat wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:51 pm some of the issues being experienced only become apparent when a large number of people are tuning in (which is something very difficult to check for when testing)
But not for the streaming company. The whole point of cloud and micro services is it's ability to react quickly and at scale.

The supplier should be able to load test their offerings to meet the demand.

Either the club is on the wrong sort of package with them, or the supplier is just rubbish. I'd be wanting the supplier to cover refunds if I were them.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

Having taken the night and my breakfast to compose myself I find that of course everything has now been said. There are some very good posts on here, not the least from Port on the Kent and YTT. Just to sum up, York were very professional, faster, fitter and cleverer than us. We played fairly well when we could, our crosses were generally poor and defending the free kicks abysmal. Whilst we remain part-time we will never be able to compete with teams like York who appear to be streets ahead of us in football 'nous'. Liam's so-called 'preference' for a very small squad is nonsense, proved by the fact that Newell is obviously not fit but still sits on the bench to make up the numbers. We are strapped for cash presumably, like many other Clubs at all levels and until another money man comes along that will not change (look how long it took us to find the last one!). The only way we can possibly progress is by better coaching and management of the squad we have got. That says it all really (in my view).
Many thanks from me and everybody to the volunteers and James who are all doing a great job. Any abuse to them is disgraceful! Finally, I believe the lads tried their best against a better team. As has been famously said many times by the Manager/Director 'it is what it is'!
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Brianm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:43 am We are strapped for cash presumably, like many other Clubs at all levels and until another money man comes along that will not change
provided that he spends his money wisely
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

We were up at half time, bounced back from an equaliser and finished strongly.
Fitness ok.
You cannot blame a keeper for a deflection just don’t give away soft free kicks anywhere but not on The edge of the area.
The third goal I think they were relieved was not a direct shot again and switched off and the waves parted.
Shame we lost but for once it wasn’t 100mph no passing stuff from both sides.
As regards the coverage good when it got going sack the operators it’s obvious when we play sides with high gates and our 800 plus it’s going to be loaded.
I wonder what potential income we get from the streaming.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Brianm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:43 am Having taken the night and my breakfast to compose myself I find that of course everything has now been said. There are some very good posts on here, not the least from Port on the Kent and YTT. Just to sum up, York were very professional, faster, fitter and cleverer than us. We played fairly well when we could, our crosses were generally poor and defending the free kicks abysmal. Whilst we remain part-time we will never be able to compete with teams like York who appear to be streets ahead of us in football 'nous'. Liam's so-called 'preference' for a very small squad is nonsense, proved by the fact that Newell is obviously not fit but still sits on the bench to make up the numbers. We are strapped for cash presumably, like many other Clubs at all levels and until another money man comes along that will not change (look how long it took us to find the last one!). The only way we can possibly progress is by better coaching and management of the squad we have got. That says it all really (in my view).
Many thanks from me and everybody to the volunteers and James who are all doing a great job. Any abuse to them is disgraceful! Finally, I believe the lads tried their best against a better team. As has been famously said many times by the Manager/Director 'it is what it is'!
Good summary and agree with you, Port on the Kent and YTT. We just looked a slight step down in class, skill and fitness, but we gave a decent account of ourselves. I think the squad is too small and we lack another decent midfielder(s), it looked like Morgan was almost on his own in the middle for long part of the game last night. The big difference to me was time on the ball. We gave York far too much time when they had possession into our half and up to the edge of the box. They could pick passes and run at us which caused problems and forced us to give away free kicks. We really need to press teams much more in this area of the field. Not sure I agree with the 'it is what it is' - I think with one or two additions in the key areas - midfield especially, we could kick on from where we are now. However, if I had to predict where we might end up at the end of the season it would be fringe of the play-offs. But we have an opportunity here to kick on and try and get to the play-offs. I for one do not want another consolidation season looking forward to the next one.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

cobby7 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 am I wonder what potential income we get from the streaming.
James said about 500 normal for smaller teams - so say £5k per game. For York and other bigger teams probably in excess of 1000 so say £10k per team. The video quality is great it is quite obvious some more bandwidth has to be allocated to cope with demand. This system needs to be tolerant for 2500 fans so if 1500 decide to stream it can still cope fine.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Any refunds should be 50% not the full price. The argument that the 2nd half was free to watch doesn't hold up as it wouldn't have been put on YouTube free of charge if people hadn't already paid for the stream.

Personally I won't be asking for £4.50 back from the club but I wouldn't blame York fans for asking.

That said I'll be reluctant to pay for another stream until the issue is resolved. Catch22 is that the club won't know the issue is resolved until the next big audience.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:51 am Any refunds should be 50% not the full price. The argument that the 2nd half was free to watch doesn't hold up as it wouldn't have been put on YouTube free of charge if people hadn't already paid for the stream.

Personally I won't be asking for £4.50 back from the club but I wouldn't blame York fans for asking.

That said I'll be reluctant to pay for another stream until the issue is resolved. Catch22 is that the club won't know the issue is resolved until the next big audience.
I didn't pay for the stream last night as I was out for the first half. I was delighted to see that the second half was free for me on YouTube. However, I did feel like a fraud so I will be donating £10 to the club.

Also, I really enjoyed Alan and James' commentary last night. Give me that than Martin Tyler's 'it's LIIIVVEEE' any day! Well done to the media team last night. They were put in a regrettable situation and made the best out of it. Coverage was brilliant on YouTube.