Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
yellowfever

Re: Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by yellowfever »

I used to argue regularly with pals that you were better off battling relegation most seasons in the National league than supposedly "winning" more matches at a lower level, as the problem getting back could be insurmountable. In fact the achievement of some of those escapes were unforgettable,fantastic and gave a lot of supporters some great moments of satisfaction. Now we are in that reality of that "lower" league. I find the current frustration of not actually being there on match day too much-and havn't the patience to watch anymore after trying out the "new norm" early on. With no fans there to support the players Liam and Jon have to get the best out of this young,small group, and one thing I'd be trying to find out from each player would be if they are enjoying their football, and all playing positionally where they all feel comfortable and giving of their best? In a small group this is imperative and may sound an obvious thing to say-but is surely very important? I too think that more should be heard from assistant Jon McCarthy-if only to take some of the weight off Liam's shoulders and give us an insight into practice and match tactics. Certainly something isn't working in the home games so far and needs to change. The lack of fans will be playing a part in that- but that's the same for all teams at all levels.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:45 pm The lack of fans will be playing a part in that- but that's the same for all teams at all levels.

Considering the typical vocal "encouragement" we used to get from some of the Haig Avenue faithful I was hopeful that their absence may improve our home form.
But, alas, no.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Every visiting team in the league home games plus Morpeth and South Shields have all looked more comfortable on the ball and have generally dominated midfield and created more chances .Playing 5 across the back has made us resilient and served us well thus far away from home, but at home the system has not worked . I always think playing 5 at the back generally tantamounts to the fact that we don’t have a pairing of 2 central players who can reliably hold and defend the line. Immediately, this system invites teams on to you and makes you light weigh across the middle and has a knock on effect up front. The bottom line is we have played every home game and have been second best. We fluked a win against Chorley, looked vulnerable to Hereford and huffed and puffed against Boston while never looking likely to score. As I said in an earlier post something needs to change as already our home form is poor. Additionally, we are missing our fans of that I’ve no doubt as they have always acted as a kick up the backside to help turn games and put pressure on players and management alike.
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

It's time for Watson to say it was what it was.
David999

Post by David999 »

I felt , like in previous games against good opposition , we were exposed by more generally more experienced players . Apart from the likes of David Morgan we have a team of youngish players , often learning their trade as they play ( admittedly players like Challoner and Archer have been around a bit but aren’t exactly seasoned and experienced pros ) . With part time training , especially in the time of COVID with all its limitations, it looks as though we just don’t have the nouse to cope as opponents impose themselves on our team . Agree the first goal was dreadful bad luck as the deflection was horrible and so lucky for the taker . It was also so unfortunate for David Morgan to have a penalty saved in these circumstances as he has been so good from the spot since he took on the role .
Yet we didn’t play well for a lot of the game and we need to hit the “ground” running on BPA’s plastic . It won’t be easy !
badger

Post by badger »

Redrobe wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:56 pm Headline on the BBC News Page “Port in ‘chaos’ as Brexit and Christmas looms”.
Not looking good with ( It Is what it is ) in Charge . As for any coaching of the team over the past year or two It seems a waste of time same mistakes are repeated. :o There is a danger we could end up nearer the bottom of this league table not in the play offs if thing do not change.
mario

Post by mario »

Three things I think might help.
First', play 4 4 2 at home at least.
Second, learn how to defend set pieces, which at present we can't and it has cost us dearly.
Third, use that green stuff on the ground, I think it's called GRASS, it must have cost a fair bit to get it into the condition it's in, for pity's sake, USE IT.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Four iron wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:36 pm It's time for Watson to say it was what it was.
"It isn't what we thought it was going to be"...........
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Four iron wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:36 pm It's time for Watson to say it was what it was.
But what if it isn't what it isn't?
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:51 am
But what if it isn't what it isn't?
:shock:
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 pm This should be a huge turning point for us today.

The Christmas pudding formation now has to be consigned to the tactical scrapheap. Despite having better players than last season we have gone backwards because of it. I won't criticise Liam for trying something different; when Chorley gained promotion the other year they set up in a similar way, and given we have four mobile centre backs and a couple of attacking full backs, I can see the logic in taking a look. Sadly, the experiment has failed and it is time to move on. The back three/five has meant we manage to look more vulnerable defensively and less potent offensively at the same time. It suffocates our best player, Morgan, into a deep position meaning he looks a shadow of his former self. It means our wide attackers cannot play with any natural width. It has to go.

We spent two seasons making ourselves solid and effective playing either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and we need to revert back and quickly. Now we have attacking options such as Woods, Watson, Carver, Newell I think we will thrive playing in last season's system - which actually worked well, we just had Sampson and Correia who didn't offer enough in the final third.

If Liam comes out and takes responsibilty and we get back to what his teams are good at, then this defeat was a price worth paying to get back on the right path. If he is too stubborn to change and persists with this mess then I do not foresee things ending well.
Re The post match summary collection.
Anyone expecting Mr Watson to take responsibility for
anything are sadly deluded,this shambles will continue
indefinitely.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Kempster911 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 amRe The post match summary collection.
indefinitely.
A bit melancholy for my liking but a good attempt of poetry nonetheless.

I've always felt we need a bit more culture on Portchat. I'm up for a musical, if anybody else is? Ronnie Hotdogs has already expressed an interest in the lead role.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:31 am
Kempster911 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 amRe The post match summary collection.
indefinitely.

I've always felt we need a bit more culture on Portchat. I'm up for a musical, if anybody else is? Ronnie Hotdogs has already expressed an interest in the lead role.
A Sausage Role...... :oops:
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:40 am
indefinitely.

A pun which truly cuts the mustard... you can have any role you like.

I am making the costumes as we speak. Is my memory playing tricks on me or was our 08/09 away kit covered in sequins?
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Mine certainly was
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I am making the costumes as we speak. Is my memory playing tricks on me or was our 08/09 away kit covered in sequins?
I have choreographed a dance that will make Lee Trundle’s trickery look like Stuart Whittaker tripping over the ball.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:12 pm

I have choreographed a dance that will make Lee Trundle’s trickery look like Stuart Whittaker tripping over the ball.
I hope it is recreating the Redditch battle scene.

I have approached that bloke out of Casualty and Heartbeat that looks exactly like Kevin Davies to play Kevin Davies.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:20 pm

I have approached that bloke out of Casualty and Heartbeat that looks exactly like Kevin Davies to play Kevin Davies.
I can't see the resemblance myself but Growler says he is indeed available.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

He has the voice of an angel.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:20 pm
Ste_B wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:12 pm

I hope it is recreating the Redditch battle scene.

Did you tell him about the training ground break-in scene dance with the broom?