Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi

Re: Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by Paulisi »

We have been awful.
Anson hates playing on the left. Ali played on the left all pre-season. Why are they the other way round?
Three centre halves and we have two holding midfielders.
Totally unnecessary. Bainbridge isn't even a midfielder.
Morgan is far too deep leaving the front two isolated.

We need another box to box midfielder.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:54 pm We have been awful.
Anson hates playing on the left. Ali played on the left all pre-season. Why are they the other way round?

Agree with the need for another box to box mid Paulisi. Tactics today have been "interesting". Hope Liam changes it round with his hairdryer during the break.
SteH90

Re: Southport 0-1 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by SteH90 »

John Glendenning wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:54 pm
SteH90 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:52 pm
Dewsnip wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:40 pm We also have some good players but they are forbidden from playing football by our rigid inflexible tactics
Exactly. The ball must be sent, no matter if you have someone to pass to who is in a better position. Put it in the air and fight for it in their half. Typified by Hanford claiming a corner and with 9 outfield players close to him in his half he sent it long to Carver on a windy day, who was covered by two defenders. What happened? He didn’t win the ball. Spennymoor get it back. I’m not necessarily saying Dan should roll it out and we build, Pep style, from the back BUT at least let players get near Carver so that we can compete for the second ball. We don’t win the all important second ball as there’s no one near the player who competes for the the first one! Sigh.
Largely agree with all of this. Well put SteH90
Appreciated. I try to refrain as much as possible because I’ve a great regard for Liam over the years but the inflexibility as Dewsnip put it is demoralising. Obviously, Liam knows 10,000 times more than me about football but if something isn’t working in life as in football, change it!
mario

Post by mario »

Long ball after long ball. If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same results.
There's grass on the pitch, it's there for a reason , Liam please let our players use it! I'm sure they're more than capable @
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

SteH90 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:52 pm Typified by Hanford claiming a corner and with 9 outfield players close to him in his half he sent it long to Carver on a windy day, who was covered by two defenders. What happened? He didn’t win the ball. Spennymoor get it back. I’m not necessarily saying Dan should roll it out and we build, Pep style, from the back BUT at least let players get near Carver so that we can compete for the second ball. We don’t win the all important second ball as there’s no one near the player who competes for the the first one! Sigh.
I thought the quick clearance to the man up front was the perfect tactic in that situation, it wasn't executed well, but it was the right idea.
Kenickie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:53 pm deflection or not Hanford should have had that side of the goal covered
You've never played in goal have you. Hanford started were the ball ended up, but as the kick was taken started moving towards where the ball was going, by the time it had hit the wall, he was committed that way, he had to stop, change his direction and get the ball, it was always a big ask. If he had stood still and the ball had gone over the wall, he'd be vilified for not trying to save it.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Isn’t the intention that the wing backs being pushed up would make 4 in midfield? I think as the seasons gone on though Challoner & Doyle’s starting position has gone further back so it’s more 5-3-2. So if you send forward balls to only 5 players you’re not going to win that many.
Mr Ah Yes

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

We seem too intent on playing a hopeful ball forward. Spennymoor happy to pass it straight to one of their own players.
Looks like flat back 4 for 2nd half.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 pm
I thought the quick clearance to the man up front was the perfect tactic in that situation, it wasn't executed well, but it was the right idea.
I agree in that situation but if Dan holds it for five seconds more people are around Carver to compete for the second ball. Then, he’s still sending it but there’s more chance of us winning a knock down. The constant conceding of possession that is often the result of these tactics is mystifying.
Mr Ah Yes

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

SteH90 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:01 pm

Isn’t the intention that the wing backs being pushed up would make 4 in midfield? I think as the seasons gone on though Challoner & Doyle’s starting position has gone further back so it’s more 5-3-2. So if you send forward balls to only 5 players you’re not going to win that many.
Doyle spent as much time putting in aimless crosses from advanced positions in Spennymoor half as he did defending. The supply from the wing backs has been cross in the last few games.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Woods looking promising.....better so far....
BackoftheNet

Post by BackoftheNet »

First Boston, then York and now Spennymoor(so far). Three of the better sides in the league and we have been outplayed. We have not created any clear cut chances so far in this match. Not good.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

For Tuesday at present Gloucester 3-4 Bradford
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

You've never played in goal have you. Hanford started were the ball ended up, but as the kick was taken started moving towards where the ball was going, by the time it had hit the wall, he was committed that way, he had to stop, change his direction and get the ball, it was always a big ask. If he had stood still and the ball had gone over the wall, he'd be vilified for not trying to save it.
I've never flown a jumbo jet either but I'm pretty sure I can have an opinion on the capability of the pilot if he tries to do loop the loops on the way to New York.

The flight of the ball was always going into the wall. He reacted too quickly and, as you say, committed himself. I suspect part of that is lack of faith in the wall given the last few goals conceded. And if the free kick had gone over the wall and into the top right corner I would argue that's a significantly tougher shot to protect against and arguably a failing of the wall, not the keeper.
YTT

Post by YTT »

If only we could take a positive approach at Home. Better start to the second half after the changes.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

Now 4-4
YellowManc

Post by YellowManc »

Gloucester wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:14 pm For Tuesday at present Gloucester 3-4 Bradford
4-4 now. Looks like BPA are going to be tougher than previously thought since they should have been relegated.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Kenickie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:16 pm

I've never flown a jumbo jet either but I'm pretty sure I can have an opinion on the capability of the pilot if he tries to do loop the loops on the way to New York.

The flight of the ball was always going into the wall. He reacted too quickly and, as you say, committed himself. I suspect part of that is lack of faith in the wall given the last few goals conceded. And if the free kick had gone over the wall and into the top right corner I would argue that's a significantly tougher shot to protect against and arguably a failing of the wall, not the keeper.
I'll keep this succint. You're wrong.

Worth noting the Spennymoor keeper has been excellent in the air.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Kenickie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:16 pm

I'll keep this succint. You're wrong

Worth noting the Spennymoor keeper has been excellent in the air.
Oh. OK. That's a very persuasive argument. Apart from the fact opinions can't be wrong.

I suspect what you meant to say was that you disagree so let's just leave at as that eh?
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

And in the spirit of agreement I completely agree with your opinion of the Spenny keeper
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Much better from an attacking point of view with Vassallo Watson & Woods more pace to attacks