Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
David999

Re: Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by David999 »

As Watson missed our best chance so far , I HAVE to say again - another team with names on shirts - we all anonymous?
YellowManc

Post by YellowManc »

Saved penalty. Not trying to excuse us, but their keeper has been brill.
Sam

Post by Sam »

David999 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:36 pm As Watson missed our best chance so far , I HAVE to say again - another team with names on shirts - we all anonymous?
Has anyone come up with a reason as to why it matters?
Exiled Port Fan

Re: Southport 0-1 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Kenickie wrote:
Oh. OK. That's a very persuasive argument. Apart from the fact opinions can't be wrong.

I suspect what you meant to say was that you disagree so let's just leave at as that eh?
Ok, ball to wall about 1 second. Onward travel time post wall is 2 to 3 seconds. If Hanford waits till he knows it is clearing the wall he has to move 3 metres laterally and a be horizontal over the ground by about a metre in 2 or 3 seconds from a standing start. It isn't happening its physics.
David999

Post by David999 »

Just an extra touch of class , Sam
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 pm Much better from an attacking point of view with Vassallo Watson & Woods more pace to attacks
Definitely and their presence has meant the ball being played on the floor more - the ball being passed to feet has led to more possession in the opponents half and therefore more chances.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

SteH90 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:43 pm
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 pm Much better from an attacking point of view with Vassallo Watson & Woods more pace to attacks
Definitely and their presence has meant the ball being played on the floor more - the ball being passed to feet has led to more possession in the opponents half and therefore more chances.
We've been far better going forwards without doubt.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Three successive home defeats would be barely acceptable at National level. In NLN it’s really not . Yes, the teams we’ve played have been good, but they have been handed points on a plate.
Any continuing thoughts of a promotion challenge are sadly deluded.
David999

Post by David999 »

Yes doing better this half
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 pm
Kenickie wrote:
Oh. OK. That's a very persuasive argument. Apart from the fact opinions can't be wrong.

I suspect what you meant to say was that you disagree so let's just leave at as that eh?
Ok, ball to wall about 1 second. Onward travel time post wall is 2 to 3 seconds. If Hanford waits till he knows it is clearing the wall he has to move 3 metres laterally and a be horizontal over the ground by about a metre in 2 or 3 seconds from a standing start. It isn't happening its physics.
My point is I don't expect him to react in order to save a wonder shot such as that from going in. Its that he should be depending on the wall to protect that side and covered the exposed side of goal.

But seriously... This is getting tiresome. I've expressed a view, so have you, we disagree, that's footy in a nutshell isn't it.

It's been a better second half at least
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Much better second half. Stopped the hoof ball and woods, vasillo and Watson made a difference with some pace and being prepared to run at the opposition. Definite penalty but he definitely missed it. No better than mid table with this lot I’m sorry to say.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

This should be a huge turning point for us today.

The Christmas pudding formation now has to be consigned to the tactical scrapheap. Despite having better players than last season we have gone backwards because of it. I won't criticise Liam for trying something different; when Chorley gained promotion the other year they set up in a similar way, and given we have four mobile centre backs and a couple of attacking full backs, I can see the logic in taking a look. Sadly, the experiment has failed and it is time to move on. The back three/five has meant we manage to look more vulnerable defensively and less potent offensively at the same time. It suffocates our best player, Morgan, into a deep position meaning he looks a shadow of his former self. It means our wide attackers cannot play with any natural width. It has to go.

We spent two seasons making ourselves solid and effective playing either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and we need to revert back and quickly. Now we have attacking options such as Woods, Watson, Carver, Newell I think we will thrive playing in last season's system - which actually worked well, we just had Sampson and Correia who didn't offer enough in the final third.

If Liam comes out and takes responsibilty and we get back to what his teams are good at, then this defeat was a price worth paying to get back on the right path. If he is too stubborn to change and persists with this mess then I do not foresee things ending well.
george

Post by george »

Rubbish
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Spennymoor the better team today. Onwards to BPA and the plastic. Stream was good; well done SFC.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Absolutely gutted the way this season has started. I had really high hopes and so much positivity going into the season judging by the pre season displays.

Why oh why can’t port ever give us something to be happy about.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Much better 2nd half as we had a go with the youthful Watson Vassall & woods on giving fresh legs, at the moment we seem to set up frightened to lose as we are so narrow with no attacking nous at all other than the long boot forward, you may as well play like we did 2nd half from the start then shut up shop if need be. Felt sorry for Morgan missing the pen which sealed our fate really.
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

Falkland yellow wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:25 pm Is anybody able to watch this on a Smart TV (Samsung?).
Yes I am, sign on PC, and cast it on to the tv, via chromecast.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

The early goal relaxed Spennymoor, very unlucky with that one.
Shame Morgs didn't put away the pen, first he's missed for us I think, would have made the last ten minutes interesting.
Agree we looked better second half and had a bit of a go, but Moors were in let's see this one out mode, they could have had a couple more on the break.
I see BPA have just drawn 4-4 at Gloucester. We'll soon put a stop to all that.
issy

Post by issy »

The goals were so predictable and avoidable (see two previous posts). We are all told to learn from our mistakes. But that obviously doesn't apply to SFC. What do they do in training? One of the worst performances I have watched. Something has to change!
YTT

Post by YTT »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 pm This should be a huge turning point for us today.

The Christmas pudding formation now has to be consigned to the tactical scrapheap. Despite having better players than last season we have gone backwards because of it. I won't criticise Liam for trying something different; when Chorley gained promotion the other year they set up in a similar way, and given we have four mobile centre backs and a couple of attacking full backs, I can see the logic in taking a look. Sadly, the experiment has failed and it is time to move on. The back three/five has meant we manage to look more vulnerable defensively and less potent offensively at the same time. It suffocates our best player, Morgan, into a deep position meaning he looks a shadow of his former self. It means our wide attackers cannot play with any natural width. It has to go.

We spent two seasons making ourselves solid and effective playing either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and we need to revert back and quickly. Now we have attacking options such as Woods, Watson, Carver, Newell I think we will thrive playing in last season's system - which actually worked well, we just had Sampson and Correia who didn't offer enough in the final third.

If Liam comes out and takes responsibilty and we get back to what his teams are good at, then this defeat was a price worth paying to get back on the right path. If he is too stubborn to change and persists with this mess then I do not foresee things ending well.
Couldn’t agree more and Liam has to hold his hands up today. Time to change it as simply not worked and doesn’t like it will either.