Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ronnie Hotdogs

Re: Southport 0-2 Spennymoor - Match Thread

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I hope this is an end to the effort to shoehorn as many centre-halves into the team as possible - five at the back at home, with a holding midfielder, doesn't seem to work and is a bit depressing to watch.

Far better in the second half, and a shame the penalty didn't go in because we'd deserved at least something to show for it. Woods and Vassallo were so much more difficult for the Spennymoor defence to play against than endless long diagonal balls and it gave everyone else a lift - really pleased to see Liam take earlier, more decisive action with tactics and substitutions, Benjamin had an off day and Spennymoor were really coasting after 20 minutes. They look a very good side and will certainly make the playoffs again at least.

Completely agree about the need for another midfielder if Wood is likely to be out for a while. Failing that, Ali or Oliver would be more suited than Bainbridge in there for me - Anson hasn't quite convinced at the back yet. Would like to see Winnard play against the better sides if he is fit.

A big well done to everyone on the stream today - much better and a great effort in what must have been fairly miserable conditions.
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Well what a sorry performance that was. I had my reservations when I saw the starting line up, once again playing 3 centre-halves and 2 more defensively midned midfielders, and I wasn't proved wrong. Spennymoor mastered the windy conditions well by keeping the ball mosty on the deck, maaking space well and they continued to find their own players with their passing. We, on the other hand, kept launching the ball high and long, and on the odd occasion the ball actually stayed in play and we held it up up front support was far too slow in coming - this is what happens when playing a Phil Wilson-esque 5-3-2 and long-ball tactics. We were deservedly 2-0 down at half time.

Second half was better. A change of formation to 4-4-2, and bringing players on who can actually run with the ball and take up good attacking positions. We kept the ball down a bit more, but were able to challenge more effectively and retain possession from any long balls too. Just a shame we were so wasteful as soon as we got into their penalty area.

Three successive home defeats now. Time for a change of approach, as we obviouly can't compete with the better sides in this league as we are. If we persist with a 5-3-2 / 5-2-3 system I may think twice about tuning in to watch, as it just leave us lacking up top and unable or unwilling to retain possession. Other managers would be getting dogs abuse after 3 successive home defeats, as does not having fans in the ground. Watson't history may taper this somewhat, but it doesn't disguise we should be more competitive than this.
Dewsnip

Post by Dewsnip »

Not too interested in what the manager has to say tbh he probably recorded it yesterday. So stubborn. The damage was done when the selected team took the field with their instructions. They looked like they had no passion and they have zero confidence. But to be fair to them he wants us to play without a midfield, the football is treated like a hot potato..... ‘BOOT FORWARDS’. Better in the second half?? I should hope it was, but it was too late. All together very depressing. I predicted us as finishing 7th in the league - can I change that to 7th from the bottom. Most have been poor performances this season, today wasn’t a one off.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Swedes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:11 pm Well what a sorry performance that was. I had my reservations when I saw the starting line up, once again playing 3 centre-halves and 2 more defensively midned midfielders, and I wasn't proved wrong. Spennymoor mastered the windy conditions well by keeping the ball mosty on the deck, maaking space well and they continued to find their own players with their passing. We, on the other hand, kept launching the ball high and long, and on the odd occasion the ball actually stayed in play and we held it up up front support was far too slow in coming - this is what happens when playing a Phil Wilson-esque 5-3-2 and long-ball tactics. We were deservedly 2-0 down at half time.

Second half was better. A change of formation to 4-4-2, and bringing players on who can actually run with the ball and take up good attacking positions. We kept the ball down a bit more, but were able to challenge more effectively and retain possession from any long balls too. Just a shame we were so wasteful as soon as we got into their penalty area.

Three successive home defeats now. Time for a change of approach, as we obviouly can't compete with the better sides in this league as we are. If we persist with a 5-3-2 / 5-2-3 system I may think twice about tuning in to watch, as it just leave us lacking up top and unable or unwilling to retain possession. Other managers would be getting dogs abuse after 3 successive home defeats, as does not having fans in the ground. Watson't history may taper this somewhat, but it doesn't disguise we should be more competitive than this.
I took your advice and decided to wait and see and leave my decision to purchase the stream or not until after the match had started. Conceding after 3 minutes made my mind up.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

Thinking back, I can't recall any time in our recent history where a back five with wing backs has ever been successful. Someone has already mentioned Phil Wilson, you can add Wright/Lewer. Last time Watson indulged in this was his final season in 12/13 when he used 5-2-3 and took his play-off challenging team from the season before and nearly relegated them.

The tricky thing will be rebalancing the squad away from it; we currently have five centre backs on the books which is borderline unnecessary if you start three, and outright profligate if you start two. Moving one of them out, even on loan, and bringing in a combative central midfielder should be a priority.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Port on the Kent wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:38 pm bringing in a combative central midfielder should be a priority.
We desperately need a Moogan/Poku/Kev Lee in the middle of the park to free up Morgan who is easily our strongest all round player.
Dewsnip

Post by Dewsnip »

Moving Oliver into midfield would be an obvious move, at least he can pass and seems to have a good footballing brain. What we are short of is guile and craft to open up teams. Our standard crosses from the wing backs have been pretty poor this season, we don’t really have a plan beyond that.
I’d much rather have Oliver partner Morgan than Benjamin or Bainbridge.
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

WE DIDN’T LOSE THIS GAME. THE CROOKED REFEREE COMMITTED A GREAT FRAUD ON THIS TEAM. WE WILL GET THE THREE POINTS THROUGH THE COURTS. SAD
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Dewsnip wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:45 pm Moving Oliver into midfield would be an obvious move, at least he can pass and seems to have a good footballing brain. What we are short of is guile and craft to open up teams. Our standard crosses from the wing backs have been pretty poor this season, we don’t really have a plan beyond that.
I’d much rather have Oliver partner Morgan than Benjamin or Bainbridge.
Charlie Oliver is, for me, shaping up like a defensive version of John Paul Kissock. His best position is playing in the middle of 3 central defenders, in which he looks very good but which limits the formation the team can play. When he was shoehorned in to the side in central midfield or right-back last season he looked far less effective. I'm not sure I'd have him as one of a centre-half pairing either.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

The second half was much better in that we got on the ball and created chances, but with Oliver subbed and Anson not comfortable on the left, we were vulnerable at the back. However the game was over by half time.
We need pace in the team, Watson and Woods are the only ones that really offer this and we desperately need a creative midfielder rather than a holding midfielder.

Liam still has issues with formation and the left centre half as well as midfield.
We have beaten the struggling teams and got 1pt out of the better teams.
This indicates we are mid table mediocrity once again.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

How would switching Bainbridge & Oliver work? Whilst I constantly have to tell myself that pre-season was played against weaker opponents so we can’t necessarily play in the style we did in the League I recall Bainbridge being a good distributor of possession and Oliver could protect the defence as the only defensive midfielder. This would allow Morgan and Vassalo to play slightly forwards of him when we have the ball and coupled with the wing backs pushing up would make 4 in more advanced midfield positions for knock downs. You’ll notice I’m not advocating anything other than long balls being played from the back & knocked down when suggesting this set up because that almost definitely won’t happen! I don’t even say that long ball is a bad tactic but when you consistently play it as poorly as we did today and have in other games it is. Today, it dug ourselves a hole that our good passing to players better with the ball played to feet (Vassalo, Woods & Watson) couldn’t get ourselves out from. Just having balls played into Dylan and Connor immediately increased possession in the Spennymoor half, improving possible combinations between players as they could join the player holding the ball up and allowed everyone to step up 10 yards to pin the opponent in. Whether that will change our thinking at all in forthcoming games is debateable however.....
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Like most it’s obvious we were better in the second half. If McCarthy is doing most of the coaching then I’m thinking it’s about time we looked at him and the lack of progress lack of nous and abysmal set pieces and the set up . For me we need an experienced attacking midfielder and a new, seasoned mouthy second in charge. I’m relieved our second half performance improved but the 5 at the back isn’t working it’s not rocket science, we haven’t won well in proper games well for a long time ( including Blyth) and don’t mention to me about winning league games coming from behind . Disappointed very but of course hopeful things will improve , but some things need changing asap.
Terrace Dweller

Post by Terrace Dweller »

Agree with SteH90 about positional swop between Bainbridge and Oliver.
Midfield doesn't seem to suit Jack, while Charlie's overall ability would be better utilised in the centre of the pitch.
Dewsnip

Post by Dewsnip »

Andrai Jones released by Hereford - did someone say he was with us pre season ? Not sure if he would be what he wanted, although we need extra bodies
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

It’s amazing how often football ruins your weekend.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Very disappointing today. Amazing how luck plays such a large part in football. Their first goal was lucky! Nothing yhat we could have done to stop it (other than not concede free kicks near the penalty area!) First half we were awful but at least we changed things in the second half. Credit the manager for that. IF we had scored the penalty we might have sneeked a point? We desperately miss George Newell!!! Wouldnt move Oliver he is assured at the back. He didn't pull up any trees in midfield when he was played there before.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

I would slot Winnard alongside Ali, drop Anson & Benjamin who don't look up to scratch at this level, going forward we definately need pace & movement from the start, Woods Watson Vassallo in, they looked a lot more dangerous when they came on 2nd half. By all means shut up shop later on if needs be.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

It was painful to watch.
We took too much time on the ball, often our players were blocked or harassed on the ball, while we gave them all the time they needed to pass. It made them look good.
Its all been said - the system isnt working. Revert to 442. We looked ragged at times.
Challoner is wasted at present.
Carver and Archer together doesnt seem to work. Play just one of them.
Oliver is probably our best footballer. Could he be used in midfield to allow Morgan a more attacking role?
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

issy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:04 pm The goals were so predictable and avoidable (see two previous posts). We are all told to learn from our mistakes. But that obviously doesn't apply to SFC. What do they do in training? One of the worst performances I have watched. Something has to change!
Insanity is doing the same thing over and
over again but expecting different results.

Quote:
Albert Einstein
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Headline on the BBC News Page “Port in ‘chaos’ as Brexit and Christmas looms”.