The Table

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

The Table

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

We appear from the table to be still as high as fourth. But it’s likely this season, like last, will be decided on points per game: already there is a big gap between teams in completed games. We are one of a handful who have completed 8 games; 5 have only managed 4 and Guiseley only 3 - and this is before bad weather kicks in.
By my calculation we are currently 9th on points per game.
While points per game is probably the fairest method, it does throw up some potential unfairnesses - you could be a mediocre team but make the playoffs because you haven’t played all the good teams, while another team loses out because they have.
I hope it doesn’t come to that.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Re: The Table

Post by yellowfever »

There are so many questions about this season that fans are asking but not many answers.As someone on here said, would clubs at this level really have agreed to start this season if they'd known no supporters would be allowed all season? I don't think so...but here we are.Thankfully funding agreed for 3 months which is great, but then what? It's a credit to our owners and volunteers that they've tackled problems head on and deserve rewarding for all their hard work. I'm glad that (so far) the club has kept up to date with games played-one of the few as you say SSE and already you can see further problems for some clubs, not only with Covid but postponed games through the predictable winter weather.Fairness though? I personally think we just have to make sure we get through this season and make sure we're ready to go again in August,when hopefully a little more of normality will be returning? AFC Fylde should walk away with the league with their recruitment-and questions will surely be asked if they don't? After that you could pick anyone from 6/7/8 clubs for the playoff winners but a lot of disappointed "big clubs" again.Completing the season must be the aim.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Lots of wild assumptions about winter weather. Given we can play on into May this year I can't see the season not being completed with all games played.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

The table is starting to form into 3 groups.
Title contenders
Mid table/playoff
The rest

The title contenders seem to be:
York
Fylde
Gloucester
Boston
Spennymoor

The mid table/playoff
Southport
Kidderminster
Chester
Telford
Hereford
Curzon Ashton
Darlington
Brackley
Gateshead
CFORD-SIX
----------
----------

Post by CFORD-SIX »

If you worked on points per game, by my calculations, we would drop from 3rd to 7th.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Paulisi wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 am The table is starting to form into 3 groups.
Title contenders
Mid table/playoff
The rest

The title contenders seem to be:
York
Fylde
Gloucester
Boston
Spennymoor

The mid table/playoff
Southport
Kidderminster
Chester
Telford
Hereford
Curzon Ashton
Darlington
Brackley
Gateshead
Gloucester will go into free fall as another joins Chesterfield. That mid division is very open. You can add Chorley after their terrible start.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

After tonight we are now in 10th place.....
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

The mid table is so congested it only tables a run of 3-4 wins to move into a high playoff position
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Some odd results again, seems to show that anyone can beat anyone with the exception of Blyth, who seem certain for relegation.
Chorley, who had a terrible start, are now on a fantastic run and on the verge of the playoffs
Gloucester are a long way clear, but have played lots mire than anyone else.
Big spending Fylde are on a terrible run of form.

There is a 5pt gap between 3rd and 17th.
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

Blyth Alfreton and the Port have the worst run of form at present.... with the constant conceding from free kicks/set pieces it just seems to me that management has learn’t nothing & seems powerless to be coach/ motivate / stop these basic mistakes...

An earlier poster said that the SFC gates do not support a team at any higher level I disagree look at Morecambe Fleetwood Accrington Harrogate their gates were not much higher than us when we were all in the conference..how about 9 seasons of utter drivel being the root cause of draining support the last 3 being the worst?
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:15 pm Blyth Alfreton and the Port have the worst run of form at present.... with the constant conceding from free kicks/set pieces it just seems to me that management has learn’t nothing & seems powerless to be coach/ motivate / stop these basic mistakes...

An earlier poster said that the SFC gates do not support a team at any higher level I disagree look at Morecambe Fleetwood Accrington Harrogate their gates were not much higher than us when we were all in the conference..how about 9 seasons of utter drivel being the root cause of draining support the last 3 being the worst?
Finally. The most sensible post heard in a good while 👏👏👏
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

If we were in the EFL I’m sure we would get as many as Accrington or Harrogate. But after so many years of dross and decline the gates we get are surprisingly good.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I watched the last half hour of York City hanging on desperately for a 1.0 win against 10 man Guiseley who from what I saw-you wouldn't have begrudged an equaliser.A shocking lack of quality from supposedly a "big club" in York admittedly on a terrible pitch.Chester flattering to deceive as usual,Chorley flexing their muscles,Fylde still to find their top gear-it's a bit of a lottery with the stop/start season for clubs-and it ain't finished yet...
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

Early(ish) predictions.

If I have to pinpoint a league winner at this point I'd probs end up saying Boston. Their recent form has been immense. Sat in 3rd on 21 points with 4 games in hand on Gloucester who sit at the top with 30 points. I'm not 100% on who will get the playoff places in what order but if I had to predict I would go: Gloucester, Kidderminster, Fylde, York, Spennymoor, and Brackley. Think Chester, Gateshead, and Chorley will just miss out. Again I am unsure who out of these teams finishes 2nd/3rd or 4th - 7th.

As for relegation, I am fairly certain Blyth will go down. Despite a good result on boxing day away at Gateshead earning Blyth a point, yesterdays thumping away at 18th place Darlington cemented in my head they are going to go down. They were lucky not to go down end of last season. As for the other relegation place again I can't put my finger on exactly who but I have a few candidates; Alfreton, Curzon, or Kettering are the likely 3. I don't think Southport will be too far off them with recent form. Home games against Farsley, Alfreton, and Curzon should have really been 9 points but the port didn't seem to kick on. Time for a new assistant manager I think to sort out the leaky defense.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Gloucester, Kiddy drop points.
Flyde smash in form Chorley
Chester flying.

League is still to difficult to call everyone is taking points off each other
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 pm But after so many years of dross and decline the gates we get are surprisingly good.
I disagree. A wealthy, attractive town with a 90,000 population and based in the North West (traditionally a footballing hotbed) ought to be able to provide greater support. Many other teams have few of these advantages yet operate at higher levels in the game. However, I do agree that the story at Southport FC has long been one of neglect and mis-management leading to the dross and decline you mention. What is required at the top is ambition, leadership and business acumen, qualities sadly in short supply at Haig Avenue.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Just been reading Sean McPartlin’s new book on the sixties. He makes it very clear just how poor our gates were even when we were going well in the old Third Division. It is difficult to understand quite why, but the town has always been lukewarm about the club. So in the circumstances I still think support has held up reasonably well. I put that down to the terrific efforts of the back room people rather than the team.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Our opponents on Saturday, Darliington, lost against Brackley.
Elsewhere, Chester won again, the battle at the top between York and Kiddy was drawn and Boston dropped points.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:30 pm Just been reading Sean McPartlin’s new book on the sixties. He makes it very clear just how poor our gates were even when we were going well in the old Third Division. It is difficult to understand quite why, but the town has always been lukewarm about the club. So in the circumstances I still think support has held up reasonably well. I put that down to the terrific efforts of the back room people rather than the team.
The Bingham years were well supported, I think we averaged over 5000 at home when we got promoted plus the players we had at that time a few ex Everton players Alec Parker ex Scottish International etc., but in the main gates have been poor, he had the wow factor did Billy & built a very good team that were attack minded, great days those..Fryatt Andrews Harkin Sandy Shaw Spence brilliant...
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

As Sean points out, the 5000 plus gates were way, way below those of our rivals the season we went up (clubs like Tranmere, Stockport, Southend) and didn’t last long - once Bingham had left and we were treading water they sometimes fell below 3000 even before relegation - not enough to sustain a team at that level where some clubs’ gates were 15000 and more.
And remember when we won the 4th Division we had the lowest average crowd of any team that had ever won that division, little over 3000.