The Table

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE

The Table

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

We appear from the table to be still as high as fourth. But it’s likely this season, like last, will be decided on points per game: already there is a big gap between teams in completed games. We are one of a handful who have completed 8 games; 5 have only managed 4 and Guiseley only 3 - and this is before bad weather kicks in.
By my calculation we are currently 9th on points per game.
While points per game is probably the fairest method, it does throw up some potential unfairnesses - you could be a mediocre team but make the playoffs because you haven’t played all the good teams, while another team loses out because they have.
I hope it doesn’t come to that.
yellowfever

Re: The Table

Post by yellowfever »

There are so many questions about this season that fans are asking but not many answers.As someone on here said, would clubs at this level really have agreed to start this season if they'd known no supporters would be allowed all season? I don't think so...but here we are.Thankfully funding agreed for 3 months which is great, but then what? It's a credit to our owners and volunteers that they've tackled problems head on and deserve rewarding for all their hard work. I'm glad that (so far) the club has kept up to date with games played-one of the few as you say SSE and already you can see further problems for some clubs, not only with Covid but postponed games through the predictable winter weather.Fairness though? I personally think we just have to make sure we get through this season and make sure we're ready to go again in August,when hopefully a little more of normality will be returning? AFC Fylde should walk away with the league with their recruitment-and questions will surely be asked if they don't? After that you could pick anyone from 6/7/8 clubs for the playoff winners but a lot of disappointed "big clubs" again.Completing the season must be the aim.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Lots of wild assumptions about winter weather. Given we can play on into May this year I can't see the season not being completed with all games played.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

The table is starting to form into 3 groups.
Title contenders
Mid table/playoff
The rest

The title contenders seem to be:
York
Fylde
Gloucester
Boston
Spennymoor

The mid table/playoff
Southport
Kidderminster
Chester
Telford
Hereford
Curzon Ashton
Darlington
Brackley
Gateshead
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

If you worked on points per game, by my calculations, we would drop from 3rd to 7th.