Bradford (Park Avenue) 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandy Grounder

Re: Bradford (Park Avenue) 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Post by Sandy Grounder »

Although I missed the game last night, I knew we had won when I came on to portchat and saw that Bobby had posted on the match thread, but not actually mentioned the game....Now if we had have lost.....
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Port chat changed? I don't think so... We might have gained all the "new" Portchatters with post lockdown new pseudonym's but the opinions and stereotyped comments don't change-so what"s different? We've seen regular posters on here pack up-hopefully temporarily as we need the full and honest spectrum of views of as many supporters as possible to get a true feeling of where the football club stands.All supporters should be welcome on here-even though none of us agree all the time with everything that everyone says.
Unibond Awakes

Post by Unibond Awakes »

I agree with my erstwhile friend yellow fever there should be no exclusions on Port chat.... yes we all disagree from time to time but we are all supporters at the end of the day and just want the Port to win!
Roday1878

Post by Roday1878 »

[/quote]
Absolutely. The initial signs are of a typical Watson season. Tight budget, difficult to watch, better away than at home. Like history repeating itself.
[/quote]

Hopefully it repeats a league title, albeit I can’t see it being this season. A young team who will only get better with time. Personally I would rather see a team of committed players who play for the shirt, rather than what we were accustomed too in previous seasons with players being here based upon reputation etc. ''Long Ball'' may not be pretty, but as Watson has proven it does get results with his NLN record. It’s National League North not the Premier League!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Sandy Grounder wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:01 pm Although I missed the game last night, I knew we had won when I came on to portchat and saw that Bobby had posted on the match thread, but not actually mentioned the game....Now if we had have lost.....
It was a comfortable win against a poor side, how’s that for you?
Sandy Grounder

Post by Sandy Grounder »

It’s the nicest thing you have said since portchat re-emerged. Thank you. The world already feels like a nicer place Bobby
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Roday1878 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 pm
Absolutely. The initial signs are of a typical Watson season. Tight budget, difficult to watch, better away than at home. Like history repeating itself.
[/quote]

Hopefully it repeats a league title, albeit I can’t see it being this season. A young team who will only get better with time. Personally I would rather see a team of committed players who play for the shirt, rather than what we were accustomed too in previous seasons with players being here based upon reputation etc. ''Long Ball'' may not be pretty, but as Watson has proven it does get results with his NLN record. It’s National League North not the Premier League!
[/quote]

I think this league has moved on from long ball football. We have to have a contemporary gameplan. I honestly think we have the players to do it. Long ball football won’t win you this league anymore. Plus, when we did win it, we had exciting players who scored goals by the bucketload and could play in various ways.
Roday1878

Post by Roday1878 »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 pm
Plan B is needed at times, teams expect the physical and long ball tactic that is effective at NLN in my opinion; however like you say a ‘contemporary game’ is something these players are more than capable of playing and should be explored as we seem one dimensional in terms of playing style. Also think we are missing someone in the middle who can dictate play and create, taking the pressure away from Morgan.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 pm I think this league has moved on from long ball football. We have to have a contemporary gameplan. I honestly think we have the players to do it. Long ball football won’t win you this league anymore. Plus, when we did win it, we had exciting players who scored goals by the bucketload and could play in various ways.
Agree. Long ball is a strategy that sometimes works but only if you have numbers in the oppositions half to either win the first ball or more importantly the second. Too often, it seems it’s not a strategy for us but just getting rid . With enough men around where the ball drops and in particular younger, exciting, technical talent like Connor Woods it can work. Former Watson teams had exciting wingers to use the ball in the other half & for me, Connor is that type even this early in his career. As Big Mac says I do think we have technical ability in the team so with a varied approach, using the wing backs & pressing the ball when it does get into the oppositions half we can be better, especially at home. I liked Jon McCarthy’s mention of the youth in the team & their good camaraderie and think that as the season progresses they’ll be used to being regulars & playing together at this level so the tactics may develop. I think too often we (I include myself) have too high expectations of the players in the yellow shirt but when some are as young as the current squad there’ll be ups & downs.
Generally, we’re going in the right direction but certainly have to improve our plan to win matches at home.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I’m not too impressed by this ‘young team’ argument, which is always used to suggest things will come to fruition next season, or the season after. We have the usual mix of the team, with some young players, but also some very experienced lads. The specific player he mentioned is 23. In footballing terms this is not ‘young’ - it’s almost mid-career.
port4ever

Post by port4ever »

Any highlights or goals available yet?
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I don't care about tactics as long as we win.

If we lose, I will grouse about tactics, shape, anything.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 pm I don't care about tactics as long as we win.

If we lose, I will grouse about tactics, shape, anything.
:lol: Oooh I say RF....
john riley

Post by john riley »

Any reason why Mr Watson did not give post match interview on Tuesday night
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 am I’m not too impressed by this ‘young team’ argument, which is always used to suggest things will come to fruition next season, or the season after.
Especially when it's now a rarity for players to be here that long.
If you're having to sign half a squad every summer then a successful season is reliant on them coming good very quickly.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

john riley wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm Any reason why Mr Watson did not give post match interview on Tuesday night
Maybe they've read recent criticism of Mr McCarthy by some posters on here and felt it was a good move to put him forward and let him have his take on the game and the season thus far : and of course to avoid another repetition of “it is was it is” 🤣🤣, save it for post Gateshead
Last edited by TrickyDicky on Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 am I’m not too impressed by this ‘young team’ argument, which is always used to suggest things will come to fruition next season, or the season after.
Especially when it's now a rarity for players to be here that long.
If you're having to sign half a squad every summer then a successful season is reliant on them coming good very quickly.
It’s one thing having a young squad and another is having a time served squad who grow together over a few seasons, irrespective of youthfulness. If we can keep the majority of a decent squad together then fine, but the likelihood is that those younger ones in particular that do well move on. I think that there’s 2 ways out of this league, buy yourselves out with proven talent or nurture an ever improving squad over a 2-3 year period. The days of getting lucky with half the squad replaced in the summer are long gone I fear. For me like RF I just want to see them win especially at home with or without Zimmer frames .
Sam

Post by Sam »

One thing im happy with is that we're playing.

I dont know how much of an issue fixture congestion is, but we're playing competitive matches frequently. I wouldn't want to be a team that goes two weeks between games.