Bradford (Park Avenue) 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
cobby7

Re: Bradford (Park Avenue) 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Post by cobby7 »

Never heard the home commentators so complementary before good on em.
They even like the town !
All the back five men of the match but Doyle gets it.
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Great finish by Woods, good away performance from what we were able to see of it!
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Break away goal - no one near him.
We defended well and looked dangerous on the break.
Challinor is getting a reputation as being a bit hot headed and I assume Charlie Oliver will play wing back on Saturday.
Mo Ali looked off the pace, a few mistimed challenges.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Good win. Defence looked solid. Stupid sending off when we were running the game. No need for Challo er to pick up a second yellow. Very unprofessional. Wasn't confident that we were going to defethat free kick we conceded near the end!!!
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Second yellow was for time wasting?
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Up to 3rd - with the two money bags ahead of us. Fylde lost, Gloucester won.
We have played a lot more games than some...
Liamsbodyguard

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Hope this win puts us back on track well played lads.
I'm sure that Bradford p.a commentator is related to Brian Clough with his prolonged wording during sentencing 😜⚽⚽⚽
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Saw about 5 minutes. A good result, but the sort of result we ought to be taking for granted. We’re not going to be competing with Bradford for a play-off place.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Well done Port, a win is a win, after 2 home losses this was a tricky one away on an all weather field - so good solid win. Hopefully back it up with a good point at Gateshead on Saturday👍
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Paulisi wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:51 pm Break away goal - no one near him.
We defended well and looked dangerous on the break.
Challinor is getting a reputation as being a bit hot headed and I assume Charlie Oliver will play wing back on Saturday.
Mo Ali looked off the pace, a few mistimed challenges.
He will be available on Saturday, suspended for Alfreton.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

It looked like Challoner was distracted by the Bradford player waiting to come on as sub, the ref Yellow carded him for not getting on with the game, the foul language then ensued. We looked to have played some nice stuff on the attack which beggars belief at our home performances that lack any quick passing & movement, hopefully this bad run at home will improve, I think its personnel, Woods Vassallo & Watson should play as much as possible at home. Good result & I thought a very fair commentary from Bradford under the circumstances. Sounds like Ali got away with a punch near the end, that would have been crazy at 2 up.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

For as ineffective as we are against the top sides, we are ruthless against the lesser ones. I didn't bother with the stream because it was so poor I felt listening to the commentary would be a better experience. It sounds like we were never in any trouble and bar one Hanford error, they never troubled us.

This result does mean our home and away record is vastly different...

Home:
W - 1
D - 1
L - 3

Away:
W - 3
D - 1
L - 0

That may be because we have played better teams at home, but I can't help think it's more to do with how we set up. Our shape is very effective away from home, we can sit in, soak up pressure and threaten on the counter. We always look handy from a set piece as well. The problem is when we are at home and the onus is on us to play progressive football and break down teams, it doesn't work. If only we could match up this efficient away day style with something more offensive at home, it could be the difference between mid table and challenging.

Well done all.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

Like Preston Won 5 away lost 5 at home.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Best possible response from the players after last week's disappointments, three points, clean sheet and great for Connor to get (I think) his first senior goal. Jordan on the mark again, two in three for him. Encouraging result, hope they can keep it going on Saturday.
siddle

Post by siddle »

Second yellow was harsh - thought Chally was waiting for Doyle to come across to take the throw. Which he does all the time, it’s not a timewasting tactic! Ref should have realised that
Port Yellow

Post by Port Yellow »

Really good response from the players. That 3 points does us the world of good. Well done Liam and the lads.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

siddle wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 pm Second yellow was harsh - thought Chally was waiting for Doyle to come across to take the throw. Which he does all the time, it’s not a timewasting tactic! Ref should have realised that
Yep, bizarre. If anyone was timewasting it was Doyle! He was taking a while to head across the pitch
Scotch Egg

Post by Scotch Egg »

Port on the Kent wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:14 pm For as ineffective as we are against the top sides, we are ruthless against the lesser ones. I didn't bother with the stream because it was so poor I felt listening to the commentary would be a better experience. It sounds like we were never in any trouble and bar one Hanford error, they never troubled us.

This result does mean our home and away record is vastly different...

Home:
W - 1
D - 1
L - 3

Away:
W - 3
D - 1
L - 0

That may be because we have played better teams at home, but I can't help think it's more to do with how we set up. Our shape is very effective away from home, we can sit in, soak up pressure and threaten on the counter. We always look handy from a set piece as well. The problem is when we are at home and the onus is on us to play progressive football and break down teams, it doesn't work. If only we could match up this efficient away day style with something more offensive at home, it could be the difference between mid table and challenging.

Well done all.
In an ordinary season I'd say this was bang on the money, and you may well be right. I mean, we do indeed set up well to counter and we are a threat from set pieces.

Nevertheless, this season being what it is, and stadiums being empty on matchday, I feel like we're closer to a neutral venue scenario. Not fully, as familiarity with surroundings will still play a part, but it's not like your usual home and away situation. I really feel our form has more to do with the sides we've played. That being said, we're generally not conceding many, so if we can keep our form up against the lesser sides and maybe trouble some of the better sides a bit more, this season could be better than some of us expected.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Totally agree with Port on the Kent’s view of our home and away form. If we played Home Southport v Away Southport the latter would win 4-0! In games like tonight the onus is on the home team to make the play and BPA looked useful in the first ten minutes but then we took over. Then the stream went! When the steam returned for the second half we looked far better than Saturday - solid at the back, full backs actually pushed on when we got the ball which they haven’t been doing at home, ok there were still some aimless, get-rid balls that Archer was never going to win but simply having Connor in the side means we get it into his feet. It brings about a varying of approach we need, was a continuation of the second half improvement from Saturday and now we just have to more organised at home. Have Connor in the team, put Dylan in midfield occasionally, push the full backs on to get crosses in rather than play 5 at the back at home and pose different problems for teams coming to Haig Avenue. We look pragmatic away but sometimes scared at home. You can ‘play in their half’ by passing the ball into it rather than punting it long into it. Although I realise we’ve had tougher opponents at home so far I want us to start picking up wins there and our position will be excellent.
Last edited by SteH90 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falkland yellow

Post by Falkland yellow »

The impact of the playing surface at BPA on our performance and result should not be underestimated. We were able to play ball playing forwards and were able to get the ball forward more quickly on a truer surface. Faster more direct and ball dribbling forwards are able to perform better on a more consistent and reliable surface.