Bradford (Park Avenue) 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
badger

Re: Bradford (Park Avenue) 0-2 Southport - Match Thread

Post by badger »

Port Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 pm Really good response from the players. That 3 points does us the world of good. Well done Liam and the lads.
Good result let us hope we do not cock our next home game. ;)
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Sam wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm Season over.

It's time for Watson to say it was what it was.

Goals are just predictable.

Anyone expecting Mr Watson to take responsibility for
anything are sadly deluded,this shambles will continue
indefinitely.

This indicates we are mid table mediocrity once again.

Some things need changing asap.

Why oh why can’t port ever give us something to be happy about?
Agreed. The system simply isn’t working. We should be finishing in the playoffs and if we continue as we are then we will finish... err... oh.

Still, it’s unacceptable.
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 am

indefinitely.

Agreed. The system simply isn’t working. We should be finishing in the playoffs and if we continue as we are then we will finish... err... oh.

A solid win tonight but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're 1 of 3 teams who have played 9 games:

3 games more than Kiddy ( 1 point behind )
3 games more than Spennymoor ( 3 points behind )
5 games more than Boston ( 4 points behind )
4 games more than Chester ( 5 points behind )
5 games more than York ( 6 points behind )

Obviously, football has twists and turns and points are never guaranteed, but I dare say if these teams play their equivalent games we wouldn't find ourselves in the same position.

Extrapolating our current points tally were currently averaging 1.55 ppg which would sneak you into 7th place in 2017/18 & 2018/19, arguably this is a stronger league than 2/3 years ago... time will tell.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I’m just wondering whether if we lose on Saturday praise of tonight’s performance will be copy and pasted to make a point? The thing is criticisms of Saturdays awful performance were valid then and are valid now. You can criticise on Saturday and praise tonight. That’s only fair.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Don't think anyone is getting carried away the start to the season has been pretty much predictable in terms of results. Think we can aspire for the play offs and that's only right that we should but realistically i think we will finish upper mid-table. But it's going to be a crazy season and who knows when or how it will finish and people reference to PPG probably sums that up.

As for last night surface isn't it what we train on these days twice a week? We can't blame the Haig Ave surface this season and its simply down to shape, personnel and playing style. We've by default become one dimensional and it's naturally suited to counter attacking and the stats show that (with or without crowds) is more productive away from home. Against the better sides it hasn't proven and won't be effective.

From what little i could see on Facebook last night BPA played into our hands and i for one was pleased to see Liam start with Niall, Connor and Jordan Archer as a more positive approach.

Challenge now for Liam and Jon is can they adapt to differing opposition and in lay terms have a go at sides who probably now expect us to line up with 5 at the back and hit them on the break. I've commented previously on squad size and make up and appreciate probably other factors at play there that the club don't want to discuss in public but we have an experienced Manager and Coach and we need to build on last night whilst we are still playing games and have the benefit of continuity.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

loyal jay wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 am
Ste_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 am

indefinitely.

A solid win tonight but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're 1 of 3 teams who have played 9 games:

3 games more than Kiddy ( 1 point behind )
3 games more than Spennymoor ( 3 points behind )
5 games more than Boston ( 4 points behind )
4 games more than Chester ( 5 points behind )
5 games more than York ( 6 points behind )

Obviously, football has twists and turns and points are never guaranteed, but I dare say if these teams play their equivalent games we wouldn't find ourselves in the same position.

Extrapolating our current points tally were currently averaging 1.55 ppg which would sneak you into 7th place in 2017/18 & 2018/19, arguably this is a stronger league than 2/3 years ago... time will tell.
There’s no perfect way of predicting where we are, but we are beating the teams expected to be at the bottom, beating/drawing with the middle teams, and losing against the top teams. It’s obviously a little early to accurately predict who will finish where but if we continue in that way we would finish in the playoffs.

Indeed it’s too early for any predictions but I think it’s fair to say we are currently on track, or at least not far off it, and far from the impending doom some have us destined for.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Good win last night but it hasn't taught us anything new. We're just an average side aren't we? Better than the bottom half, but not as good as the top teams. The question is ambition - are we going to accept mediocrity or make a push?. How much do we want 'it'? I have no doubts that Marcus Wood will improve our quality on the pitch, but is he enough? Probably not. Staying afloat in the current environment is the most important thing, no doubt. Are we just staying afloat in the hope that we overtake sides above us who may not be as financially prudent?

Off the pitch, it seems we are sound and that is the most important part of our club: it's existence. On the pitch, there are still lots of questions. Our fans want to see progress and they're more than entitled to desire that. It just seems to be more of the same, even though in my opinion, we have better players this season. Players who, for me, have the ability to play a nice style of football. It's a concern.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Very glad to get a win last night. The players might have been demoralised after the last couple of games and slipped up again. They didn’t and it shows they have some fight in them.
But I still think Saturday’s performance was more significant as it showed very clearly our limitations.
Against the five teams we have played so far which are realistic playoff contenders we have 2 points out of 15.
Three or four straight wins now and we’ll see, but as of now I’d still think we will end around 10th. Which, if not ‘unacceptable’ would be very disappointing indeed.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

SteH90 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 am I’m just wondering whether if we lose on Saturday praise of tonight’s performance will be copy and pasted to make a point? The thing is criticisms of Saturdays awful performance were valid then and are valid now. You can criticise on Saturday and praise tonight. That’s only fair.
I agree but the quotes like ‘season over’ that Sam chose (I assume intentionally) aren’t criticism of the one game.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

I don’t think Sam knew we were playing last night.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Very good interview with Jon McCarthy now on You Tube nice to hear his take on the season so far, he is upbeat & confident that the group of players here will do the business, good for him, hope he's right.
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

I also thought it was a good interview. Jon explained things very clearly.Would have liked him to say something about the different formation.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am
SteH90 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 am I’m just wondering whether if we lose on Saturday praise of tonight’s performance will be copy and pasted to make a point? The thing is criticisms of Saturdays awful performance were valid then and are valid now. You can criticise on Saturday and praise tonight. That’s only fair.
I agree but the quotes like ‘season over’ that Sam chose (I assume intentionally) aren’t criticism of the one game.
Granted but all opinions on here, whether we agree or not, are valid and even if they’re made in the heat of the moment we shouldn’t revisit them if form changes to mock or ‘own’. I think the old Portchat became very adversarial and factional by the end with a very ‘I think you’ll find’ tone becoming prevalent so I’d stopped visiting. It’s easy to highlight opinions we disagree with in the light of better performances but we maybe should try and be a bit better than that? That’s all I’m saying, I think you’ll find! 😉
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but many opinions are worthless.

I get annoyed when the national TV channels interview people in the street, say, about complex scientific issues such a the spread of disease and vaccination, even Brexit! They often dont know their arse from their elbow, but yes they are entitled to their opinion; valid or not.

People were entitled to criticise the club after recent defeats, and one success doesnt invalidate their opinion. I'm glad that we have Portchat where opinions can be expressed in the spirit of 'chat'.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Ste_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am I agree but the quotes like ‘season over’ that Sam chose (I assume intentionally) aren’t criticism of the one game.
All those quotes were from the Spennymoor game alone, i don't think it's a stretch to suggest they were criticisms of that one performance, pretty sure it was only 1-0 when the season over remark was made. Is the season still over after last nights results or is it still doom and gloom?

The half hearted point was that we know not to get carried away after a good result, bearing in mind we haven't dropped out of the playoffs yet and surrounded by teams that have significantly bigger budgets and those who will have fixture congestion at once point.

But there are plenty of people who are prepared to stick the knife in immediately after a bad one.

The same Spennymoor thread there was the odd mention that we'd struggle against BPA because they managed to score 4 against the then league leaders, now we've beaten them they're suddenly a side we should be expected to beat? If they had won last night they'd have gone above us, but we'd have still been in the playoffs.

Though i don't know why it still surprises me, its been the same on every iteration of Portchat for the last 20 years.

This year is weird, home and away advantage goes out the window, as does form all the way up to the Prem and international level (Spain 6-0 Germany, are are the German fans going to be suggesting this is the end of an era? Probably nein). But even though the pitch is the best its every been, we haven't had a good home form for years, this isn't a new problem.

We're ten points clear of relegation, we're in the playoffs, the club still exists (looking at Macclesfield), yes we want better but we aren't the big cheese people think we are and that is ok. After everything 2020 has thrown at us i'm fine with mediocrity. Chorley, even after last nights results would love to be where we are.

It say a lot that the main discussion is now about my incredibly flippant post made in jest and not the better performance made last night on a surface we my train on but don't play on after a poor performance just days before and potentially players still worrying about if they caught covid from the York player who tested positive ( i know that would impact my performance).

Will we be crap again? Probably this weekend. Does it really matter if we are? Nah.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

I think the point has been done to death, Watson/McCarthy football is tough on the eye when it doesn't work, long meaningless balls from the Keeper, Long Throws, Corners launched into the 6yd box etc., we older souls like to see more than 2 passes, crosses to the far post, no endless time wasting etc., I know which brand I prefer but I didn't hire the above combo. "it is what it is".............. who said that..... ;)
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

I’ve already posted about last night being a good result. From what I’ve seen so far we have no right to beat anybody on paper in this league, look at the fighting spirit of Leamington and Curzon last night and indeed Bradford on Saturday. You have to show up and slog it out in 90% of the games in this league these days and hope you prevail.
One issue I have from last night, was a free kick conceded in the 80th+ minute in a dangerous position. What do we do, we put 3 in the wall with david Morgan the smallest person on the outside at the likely target end of the wall- we’ve got to wise up some of this stuff is basic and these errors of judgement costs goals especially us which translates to me as some players seem incapable of learning 🙉
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I like what you’ve said in your post Sam so there’s no problem. Forums like this don’t lend themselves to humour as easily as, say, Twitter because you can’t include GIF’s etc and I didn’t spot the flippancy it first time. Up the Port!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 pm I think the point has been done to death, Watson/McCarthy football is tough on the eye when it doesn't work, long meaningless balls from the Keeper, Long Throws, Corners launched into the 6yd box etc., we older souls like to see more than 2 passes, crosses to the far post, no endless time wasting etc., I know which brand I prefer but I didn't hire the above combo. "it is what it is".............. who said that..... ;)
Absolutely. The initial signs are of a typical Watson season. Tight budget, difficult to watch, better away than at home. Like history repeating itself.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Bobby wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 pm I think the point has been done to death, Watson/McCarthy football is tough on the eye when it doesn't work, long meaningless balls from the Keeper, Long Throws, Corners launched into the 6yd box etc., we older souls like to see more than 2 passes, crosses to the far post, no endless time wasting etc., I know which brand I prefer but I didn't hire the above combo. "it is what it is".............. who said that..... ;)
Absolutely. The initial signs are of a typical Watson season. Tight budget, difficult to watch, better away than at home. Like history repeating itself.
Hopefully the bit where we win the Conference North title will repeat itself as well (again) ;)