THE TWELFTH MAN

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Liamsbodyguard

THE TWELFTH MAN

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Just thinking whether this present squad of players actually need us back in the matches to give them the lift they need , they're a young squad and I'm sure that with us being their would. I know it is no possible to attend games at this present time but I saw the pre-season games and we have got some very young players any thoughts ??
Ralphy Rylance

Re: THE TWELFTH MAN

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Was it Brian Kettle or a different manager who said you need to be a certain type of player to play in front of the critical Haig Ave crowd, or words to that effect?
I'm not sure how much difference it would make. Young players learning their trade would still get slaughtered for the slightest mistake by some people.
BackoftheNet

Post by BackoftheNet »

I sit with my brother in the main stand and unfortunately for us we sit just behind the main stand moaners. It drives me mad (and I have spoken my mind on more than one occasion to the people concerned) when if within the first few minutes one of our lads dares to put a pass astray “they” start. I doubt if any any of them have ever played football ever. At any level. Rant over.
Roday1878

Post by Roday1878 »

BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 pm main stand moaners.
It’s the old fellas highlight of their week, when that one in hundred shout gets a reaction! :roll:
old gold and black

Post by old gold and black »

BackoftheNet and Roday 1878 Totally agree with you, I`m an old fella who did play football my big moan are some of the referees, the two direct free kicks given for simulation against York being a good example.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

old gold and black wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:33 pm BackoftheNet and Roday 1878 Totally agree with you, I`m an old fella who did play football my big moan are some of the referees, the two direct free kicks given for simulation against York being a good example.
Spot on , the referee was quietly appalling against York, we should have had a penalty late on as well. We never even got a free kick for a very dangerous late tackle on Marcus. South Shields equaliser was 3 yards offside, I agree that the referees have been dreadful not bias just incompetent for us and influenced by all the mouthy teams we’ve played at home, who surround and abuse the ref and contest blatant and obvious decisions. I thought the ref against Spennymoor was the least worst we’ve had so far at home. I honestly believe it’s got to the point where other teams practice diving and going down to get penalties.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Main Stand moaners are not unique to our club. I can remember watching Everton (which I used to do a fair old bit back in the late 1970's through to the mid 80's). Moaning and general cries of discontent aimed at the players were common - even as Howard's team of young players began to show real promise. Having also spent a fair amount of time up in the main stand during my often comedic turn as match announcer (I followed on from Colin, sadly my ability to take myself seriously kind of counted against me there :-) there were often plenty of grumps and moans to note - and not all of them were about my musical choices. I think that those rumbles of discontent are simply a part of football. It would be great if perhaps; some of the more frequent participants in player / manager derogation took the trouble of engaging their brains before putting their tongues into gear. With that said, I honestly do not think that such causes too much trouble out on the field. Just so long as the majority of us get behind the team as much as possible, encourage, forgive mistakes (because without those, no one will ever try anything more difficult than hoofing the ball away as soon as it arrives) and I think that all will be well in the land of Southport FC :-)
David999

Post by David999 »

So glad people are pointing out how badly some our games games have been refereed . I too thought York players played the ref and yes , even South Shields players stopped to look at the officials when the ball went in our goal - expecting an overturning of the goal .
Sadly the cup decision probably cost us a lot of money and I hope the points dropped on the league don’t badly damage our table position if the season is curtailed . Having played some “wiser” teams early on may come back to bite us , especially if we don’t play some “easier” teams later in a points per game situation .
becbee

Post by becbee »

All clubs have their share of the moaners, just compare how long post match threads are when teams lose compared to when they win. Also the "fans" for whom their favourites can do no wrong - they just say "unlucky" -then when someone else does exactly the same mistake, they lay into him.

But I do think players generally are worse off for having no fans - even the moaners at least break the silence and not all fans are endlessly negative.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ultimately we are all fickle fools bar our committment to a football club