Gateshead V Southport - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
siddle

Re: Gateshead V Southport - Match Thread

Post by siddle »

I’ve seen us play worse and win. So let’s not go completely overboard on a bad day at the office.
We didn’t deserve to concede four - and we matched Gateshead for large spells.
It’s just one of those freak scorelines. We deserved to lose but this toxic post mortem isn’t appropriate, IMO
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

siddle wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 pm I’ve seen us play worse and win. So let’s not go completely overboard on a bad day at the office.
It’s just one of those freak scorelines. We deserved to lose but this toxic post mortem isn’t appropriate, IMO
It was an athletics stadium, not an office.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:40 pm I don’t get this ‘we matched them’ or ‘we weren’t outplayed’ or ‘apart from 15 minutes ....’.
You might as well say ‘we conceded 10 goals but we played well in between them’.
Calm down ,cheer up some of us look on the bright side.
There are worse things happen at sea or in a hospital.
I was more sorry for us losing because I have been longing for football on the ground with wingers.
And the last couple of games there has been more of that.
I don’t get this three at the back or five or two in midfield or three stuff . I mean three centre backs surely they get in each other’s way.
And wing backs they neither full backs or wingers.
It all depends on what the opposition does whatever formation players have to be marked.
It’s too complicated.
Here’s to the next game if I can log log on .
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Hat Trick Patrick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 am Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCCGP3PsVU4
I’m just wondering if Ali had to pay to get back into the ground on the numerous occasions he was sent out of it. Almost a lesson in how not to defend - giving the ball away, allowing strikers room to shoot and a lazy trip in the box. We’ve got strength in depth at centre half and you can play your way out of selection as well as into it!
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Looking at the Highlights again, Ali who has been mostly outstanding seemed to give the opposition too much room & looked a bit slowish to read the game, on the plus side, on another day we could have had 3 or 4 goals, Carver missed a header should maybe have won a penalty, Winnard had a clear header on goal, on the whole a deserved defeat but a hollow scoreline, as I dont think they were 3 goals better than us on the day...Dan Hanford will be disappointed to let the 2nd in..
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I think we’ve seen inconsistency from Mo. At times he’s been very good but on Saturday, from the highlights, less so. The same as any player I suppose but it’s the one position we have a few options so it’s whether the manager feels Mo would be better playing through to find his form or bring Winnard in/drop Bainbridge into defence.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

siddle wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 pm I’ve seen us play worse and win. So let’s not go completely overboard on a bad day at the office.
It's hardly that bad - if anything I think it's fairly measured for a 4-1 pumping.
Formula Port

Post by Formula Port »

Mo Ali was at fault for all 4 goals. Needs to be dropped after that showing for everyone’s good.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

A permanent return gig at Sainsbury's meat counter beckons.
badger

Post by badger »

Formula Port wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:20 pm Mo Ali was at fault for all 4 goals. Needs to be dropped after that showing for everyone’s good.
Mo Ali should have be taken off at halftime he was a yard of the pace of the game, and if he is a full back I am a Dutchman. The so called midfield do not close down quick enough and worse still they where not getting back as Gateshead attacked. Final point facing a open goal we put two good heading chances over the cross bar and the other wide. Looks to me our coaching needs looking at. :(