Match Thread - Guiseley V Southport

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
TrickyDicky

Re: FT: Guiseley 4 - 2 Southport

Post by TrickyDicky »

TrickyDicky wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:32 pm Notice that club legend Stuart McCall ( and his assistant) sacked in his third stint by Bradford City, no one has a divine right to remain in a key position when they’re failing!!
Dudley86

Post by Dudley86 »

Can i just say I totally agree with what swedes has said spot on
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

I think we need to look at the likes of Leamington to build a solid base at the club. Paul Holleran has been in charge 11 years he brings in mainly younger hungry players from the lower leagues with a few older heads. The club is ran on the Mark Palios lines of we only spend what we have and along with Curzon have roughly the lowest budgets in the league.
We cannot keep sacking people, I don’t the see club enough to comment like you do but perhaps John Flanagan with Liam working together?
We need a solid base to build from and as we have no sugar parents I think in the medium term this is what we should be looking at now?
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Yesterday only highlighted once again all the same problems which have been evident in the most of the performances on the pitch this season. We are not functioning as a smart team, not linking play, not creating openings, not closing other teams down, not varying the play to confuse the opposition. We have become pedestrian, predictable and very easy to play against. We look vulnerable at the back and lacking in creativity to make enough decent chances to win games. That is the simple truth. I believe a significant number of the players could make a decent team and should be performing better in this league. We look as shambolic as we did under the latter days of the Mike Walsh management era.

A shake up of formation and a few changes on the pitch on Tuesday might help, but lets not carried away if we manage to beat Marine. We were very effective against the Dog and Duck XI in pre-season but we have fallen well short against most teams at this level. The only match we have dominated was the Blyth game.

I have listened to Liam's interview and it does not inspire me with any confidence at all. I really believe he has to step into a Director of football role and continue scouting for local talent, but the day to day on field management of the players has to change. To be fair the players do seem to be trying, but they are not playing in a formation or to a set of tactics which plays to their strengths
issy

Post by issy »

After the first 6 games we had 11 points. The next 7 games have yielded 4 points. That says it all!
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:09 pm Yesterday only highlighted once again all the same problems which have been evident in the most of the performances on the pitch this season. We are not functioning as a smart team, not linking play, not creating openings, not closing other teams down, not varying the play to confuse the opposition. We have become pedestrian, predictable and very easy to play against. We look vulnerable at the back and lacking in creativity to make enough decent chances to win games. That is the simple truth. I believe a significant number of the players could make a decent team and should be performing better in this league. We look as shambolic as we did under the latter days of the Mike Walsh management era.

A shake up of formation and a few changes on the pitch on Tuesday might help, but lets not carried away if we manage to beat Marine. We were very effective against the Dog and Duck XI in pre-season but we have fallen well short against most teams at this level. The only match we have dominated was the Blyth game.

I have listened to Liam's interview and it does not inspire me with any confidence at all. I really believe he has to step into a Director of football role and continue scouting for local talent, but the day to day on field management of the players has to change. To be fair the players do seem to be trying, but they are not playing in a formation or to a set of tactics which plays to their strengths
I concur
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Some utter disrespectful garbage being written on here as per... We all know that form and results will have to improve and change-it goes almost without saying, but how you go about doing it isn't a straight forward this or that... If only it were...? Knowledge of the game and experience is paramount and which we have (Liam Watson, Jon McCarthy, Dean Winnard) more than any of us-so lets not chuck the baby out with the bath water here.... Nobody is going to come running to the rescue of Southport FC in 2020 in the middle of a pandemic (or otherwise) We're at the 6th level of football.The club isn't in a particularly good place on the pitch at present due to numerous reasons going back to 2016/2017 and before. Somehow we have to try and rebuild the team in a really tough men's division...I don't have an answer, but we still have people at the club (between them) who I believe do. To some out there-careful what you wish for...
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm Some utter disrespectful garbage being written on here as per... We all know that form and results will have to improve and change-it goes almost without saying, but how you go about doing it isn't a straight forward this or that... If only it were...? Knowledge of the game and experience is paramount and which we have (Liam Watson, Jon McCarthy, Dean Winnard) more than any of us-so lets not chuck the baby out with the bath water here.... Nobody is going to come running to the rescue of Southport FC in 2020 in the middle of a pandemic (or otherwise) We're at the 6th level of football.The club isn't in a particularly good place on the pitch at present due to numerous reasons going back to 2016/2017 and before. Somehow we have to try and rebuild the team in a really tough men's division...I don't have an answer, but we still have people at the club (between them) who I believe do. To some out there-careful what you wish for...
Interesting take.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Swedes wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:25 am
Ste_B wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:20 pm Tbf to LW, he has had to oversee the shitshow left behind by PHIL promising the Earth and then changing his mind.

We should be performing a lot better than this, but PHIL’s departure totally wrote last season off before it had even started, so I don’t think it’s particularly fair to say this is his third season as though it’s some great advantage. While our management team has been stable, they’re about the only thing that has been.
This is a team Watson has built though, players he has chosen and signed under whatever conditions he has agreed to as a board member. The line between cleaning up PHIL'S mess, and making a mess of our own in the post PHIL era has only recently been crossed. There is only so long that excuse can be peddled out now.
Phil's mess...!!?

You mean the "mess" that had our Grandstand almost completely re-furbished, drains replaced at great cost and relayed, massive (dangerously overdue) expensive electrical work carried out, pitch replaced and re sown,toilets replaced, a generous 3 year sponsorship...Oh that mess...

Wow...
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm Some utter disrespectful garbage being written on here as per... We all know that form and results will have to improve and change-it goes almost without saying, but how you go about doing it isn't a straight forward this or that... If only it were...? Knowledge of the game and experience is paramount and which we have (Liam Watson, Jon McCarthy, Dean Winnard) more than any of us-so lets not chuck the baby out with the bath water here.... Nobody is going to come running to the rescue of Southport FC in 2020 in the middle of a pandemic (or otherwise) We're at the 6th level of football.The club isn't in a particularly good place on the pitch at present due to numerous reasons going back to 2016/2017 and before. Somehow we have to try and rebuild the team in a really tough men's division...I don't have an answer, but we still have people at the club (between them) who I believe do. To some out there-careful what you wish for...
Looking at the kick off routine, the warm up , the only set piece we possess is a long throw, the free kicks and corners are appalling, we don’t practice crossing the ball more than 3 feet high , we play 50% percentage football and have goal keeper who spoons most clearances and is a goal a game man and you’re telling us McCarthy and Watson know more than us do me a favour
Churchtown Yellow

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Dudley86 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:44 pm Can i just say I totally agree with what swedes has said spot on
It’s a free forum, you can say what you like unless it’s slanderous or personally attacking another user 😉
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Don’t forget we pay for the privilege, they don’t and never had and on the contrary get a decent reward for “getting results” . I’m not having it anybody on this latest thread has been disrespectful, facts don’t lie we need a different approach - go and get someone like Mike Milligan from Bamber Bridge lwho would get more out the players than this cushy well paid regime we’ve got running the team . Their time is up for me I’m sorry to say
YTT

Post by YTT »

TrickyDicky wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 pm Don’t forget we pay for the privilege, they don’t and never had and on the contrary get a decent reward for “getting results” . I’m not having it anybody on this latest thread has been disrespectful, facts don’t lie we need a different approach - go and get someone like Mike Milligan from Bamber Bridge lwho would get more out the players than this cushy well paid regime we’ve got running the team . Their time is up for me I’m sorry to say

Is that a relative of Jamie Milligan 😉
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

YTT wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:16 pm
TrickyDicky wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 pm Don’t forget we pay for the privilege, they don’t and never had and on the contrary get a decent reward for “getting results” . I’m not having it anybody on this latest thread has been disrespectful, facts don’t lie we need a different approach - go and get someone like Mike Milligan from Bamber Bridge lwho would get more out the players than this cushy well paid regime we’ve got running the team . Their time is up for me I’m sorry to say

Is that a relative of Jamie Milligan 😉
Thank you yes I meant Jamie 🙈
YTT

Post by YTT »

Watched the game and we were poor defensively and I’d struggle to pick anyone out for praise and our Captain was at fault getting dispossessed on the edge of his own box for one of their goals. The defending and keeping that followed his error were comical and summed up the performance of the entire team. Let’s not forget our opponents home form had been dreadful.

The club finds itself in a unique position of the manager being 1 of 3 man board. The talk of Liam going upstairs and a new man coming I can’t see happening as will cost money, unless of course, Liam takes a voluntary role upstairs and waives any severance within his contract? He has the best interests of the club at heart and could stay as a director after all.

I think it’s about timing and wouldn’t be prudent for the club to come out now and announce Liam was stepping down at the end of the season or anything along those lines as you’d lose the players and right now we are looking down not up so would be a crazy move.

But in normal circumstances the Chairman/board would have commenced the search to establish whom was available and those who might be interested in taking on a Head Coach type role.Again a little tricky but not impossible if Liam in agreement and they keep Jon Mac in the dark (I think he’s been in the dark for a while) or he goes now and Liam has to roll his sleeves up and take a few sessions with Dean Winnard or get a coach in part time. Not sure what someone like Alan Moogan is up to these days or if he’d work short term with Liam but would be ideal candidate for me as a well qualified coach who knows the game and has a bit of steel that I think is required with this squad.

End of the season then the club has to bring the management structure up to date and if we are going to develop young or raw players they need quality coaching and if Liam is still about he can do the mentoring and wheeler dealing piece he seems to enjoy and the manager/head coach can develop the playing side and staff/structure.

Mc
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Interesting comments YTT , much appreciated constructive thinking on potential developments. I would love to know however, if Liam who loves the club so much would be willing to move upstairs in a voluntary role ? As opposed to having always been paid. I would suggest that old adage when money goes out the door , love goes out the window 😉
David999

Post by David999 »

In the continued absence of Mike Hunt on this forum , I tend to look to YF and YTT for balancing some more opposing views . It is no surprise that yet again after a LOSS , we are approaching the 7 th page - admittedly there have been plenty of losses to build up a head of steam . I am not convinced that changing the manager in the mid season of a pandemic is a wise move . I also feel that we are forgetting too quickly that Liam and his son are struck grieving for the loss of the head of there household . I am as impatient as the next one to see us improve and was depressed at the sorry showing yesterday . It’s just that I’m not convinced that a n other will be better equipped to move us on than those already in place but I absolutely defend everyone’s right to their opinion !
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:34 pm
Swedes wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:25 am
Ste_B wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:20 pm Tbf to LW, he has had to oversee the shitshow left behind by PHIL promising the Earth and then changing his mind.

We should be performing a lot better than this, but PHIL’s departure totally wrote last season off before it had even started, so I don’t think it’s particularly fair to say this is his third season as though it’s some great advantage. While our management team has been stable, they’re about the only thing that has been.
This is a team Watson has built though, players he has chosen and signed under whatever conditions he has agreed to as a board member. The line between cleaning up PHIL'S mess, and making a mess of our own in the post PHIL era has only recently been crossed. There is only so long that excuse can be peddled out now.
Phil's mess...!!?

You mean the "mess" that had our Grandstand almost completely re-furbished, drains replaced at great cost and relayed, massive (dangerously overdue) expensive electrical work carried out, pitch replaced and re sown,toilets replaced, a generous 3 year sponsorship...Oh that mess...

Wow...
No, not the obviously improved infrastructure. I meant the on-the-pitch mess of having to revert back to part time and from the full-time status we were in no position to maintain, which included having to coerce players out of the club or waiting for their contracts to expire. I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about the team, and I have no idea why you'd want to take it in a different direction?
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

The Board structure worries me as it is totally dependent on Ian's money. Steve Porter and Liam do not have the wherewithal to finance investment.
It is fantastic that Ian was willing to take over after Phil's abrupt departure, but it is a huge responsibility. He has done the right thing in cutting costs, boosting revenue and trying to make the club as self-sufficient as possible. I'm sure he is still putting in money of his own, but I doubt he's in a position ever to contemplate major expansion. It's almost a Charlie situation (although Sam Shrouder also provided financial backing). Charlie was widely thought (I've no way of knowing) to have resisted looking for other financial support as it would have undermined his total control of the club. I'm fairly confident that Ian isn't like that. It would be good if the club could try over the next year or so to see if there are other people who might be willing to put up a little bit of money and join the board. Apart from any investment, it would just be a better-balanced board if there was somebody else on there with a financial interest in case Ian is hit by a bus, and to provide support in taking difficult decisions like those Ian must be considering at the moment. From a human point of view, it is asking a lot of Ian to to expect him, on his own, to tell Liam, a friend, that we need changes. In most businesses you wouldn't get into this position.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I totally agree, SSE.
It’s not just ‘buses’ that are a risk factor, what if he merely loses interest, or becomes wearied by it all?
And when does ‘PH’s’ sponsorship run out?

It’s rather fragile. But it was so when CC was at the wheel, and never more so than during PH’s term.