Match Thread - Guiseley V Southport

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
CFORD-SIX

Re: FT: Guiseley 4 - 2 Southport

Post by CFORD-SIX »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm We're at the 6th level of football.The club isn't in a particularly good place on the pitch at present due to numerous reasons going back to 2016/2017 and before. Somehow we have to try and rebuild the team in a really tough men's division...I don't have an answer, but we still have people at the club (between them) who I believe do. To some out there-careful what you wish for...
Everyone is of course entitled to a view and an opinion. I think we agree that what is happening on the pitch at the moment is not good enough. But we have had talk of re-building and looking towards next season for at least the last three seasons and we are basically treading water and beginning to tire and I fear that we will soon sink unless something changes. I have not called for Watson to leave, I feel he can serve a useful role at the club. I look at the players we have and most have them have talent and could form a good team but that is not happening. I am not advocating a complete re-build, I just think we need some fresh ideas, some smart team and tactical management for us to improve. The reality of that position is that we probably need a new manager or first team coach to make it happen. That is what I am wishing for....
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm Some utter disrespectful garbage being written on here as per... We all know that form and results will have to improve and change-it goes almost without saying, but how you go about doing it isn't a straight forward this or that... If only it were...? Knowledge of the game and experience is paramount and which we have (Liam Watson, Jon McCarthy, Dean Winnard) more than any of us-so lets not chuck the baby out with the bath water here.... Nobody is going to come running to the rescue of Southport FC in 2020 in the middle of a pandemic (or otherwise) We're at the 6th level of football.The club isn't in a particularly good place on the pitch at present due to numerous reasons going back to 2016/2017 and before. Somehow we have to try and rebuild the team in a really tough men's division...I don't have an answer, but we still have people at the club (between them) who I believe do. To some out there-careful what you wish for...
The manager has reluctantly admitted tactical failure and
is probably seething as a consequence of that admission,
however still refuses to take responsibility.
Post Match quote: The top teams in this league have a
lot of experienced players,Port not in that position,never
will be. This highlights the true ambition of the club.
Perhaps Mr Watsons attitude reflecks the situation.
john riley

Post by john riley »

Another defeat back in April / May 2017 many people wanted a change and they got one, the currant manger was one of those. As we come to 2020 is the club any further forward ?. If Mr Watson has the best interests of the club he should resign. The changes have not worked on or off the field ,we are no further forward
siddle

Post by siddle »

Many also seem to forget that Liam (and Ian and Steve) have had to deal with the clean up of the Phil Hodgkinson era - where money was thrown around like confetti and little regard was given to sustainability.
I think Liam has brought our wage bill has come down by something like 70%? So we're trying to do more with less - and it's hard.
Yellowfever has it spot on with his assessment. Be careful what you wish for.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Dealing with a mess he helped create! He’s had to bring the wage budget down, he shouldn’t be applauded for doing so.
george

Post by george »

Those that think we can't get relegated, should think again, the player's are to inexperienced at this level, wot the management team where thinking of,goodness knows, all is not lost,stick 3 or 4 old heads in amongst them and we can turn this around, keep the faith, up the port,
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

I don't buy into this inexperienced squad suggestion. Yes, we have some inexperienced players, but the following have plenty of experience:
Hanford: 29 years old, over 300 competitive matches
Winnard: 31 years old, over 350 competitive matches
Challoner: 27 years old, over 250 competitive matches, has won promotion from this league
Morgan: 26 years old, over 200 competitive matches
Benjamin: 29 years old, over 100 appearances for us alone, more including time spent at Telford and Stockport
Carver: 27 years old, over 250 competitive matches, has won promotion from this league
Archer: 27 years old, over 50 appearances at this level or above, more at levels below
Ali: 26 years old, around 75 appearances at this level, more at levels below.

I think it comes down to how individual players or the management team get the most out of this experience, not a case of getting some more old heads in.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Excellent, Swedes - a detailed rebuttal of the main excuse.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:28 am Excellent, Swedes - a detailed rebuttal of the main excuse.
It proves nothing. I’m 35 and I’ve no idea what I’m doing.
badger

Post by badger »

Swedes wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:57 am I don't buy into this inexperienced squad suggestion. Yes, we have some inexperienced players, but the following have plenty of experience:
Challoner: 27 years old, over 250 competitive matches, has won promotion from this league
Benjamin: 29 years old, over 100 appearances for us alone, more including time spent at Telford and Stockport
Carver: 27 years old, over 250 competitive matches, has won promotion from this league
Archer: 27 years old, over 50 appearances at this level or above, more at levels below

I think it comes down to how individual players or the management team get the most out of this experience, not a case of getting some more old heads in.
As I thought this is not a young team by my standards .
george

Post by george »

Well,let's crack on then..........ssid the captain of the Titanic
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

badger wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:20 am
Swedes wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:57 am I don't buy into this inexperienced squad suggestion. Yes, we have some inexperienced players, but the following have plenty of experience:

As I thought this is not a young team by my standards .
They are all younger than me, and I struggle to process that given I am mid-thirties!
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

David999 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:26 pm In the continued absence of Mike Hunt on this forum , I tend to look to YF and YTT for balancing some more opposing views . It is no surprise that yet again after a LOSS , we are approaching the 7 th page - admittedly there have been plenty of losses to build up a head of steam . I am not convinced that changing the manager in the mid season of a pandemic is a wise move . I also feel that we are forgetting too quickly that Liam and his son are struck grieving for the loss of the head of there household . I am as impatient as the next one to see us improve and was depressed at the sorry showing yesterday . It’s just that I’m not convinced that a n other will be better equipped to move us on than those already in place but I absolutely defend everyone’s right to their opinion !
How can any replacement yes man offer a balanced viewpoint
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:56 am The interview is no different to previous seasons, its the players fault they need to be dropped blah blah, no wonder the players wont play for him, first rule of management praise in public criticise in private. The club have backed themselves into a corner, 3 directors one whose the Manager! If the Backroom Volunteers, Fund Raisers, Secretarial give up on the club God help us, because they the only thing good about the set up at present.
The managers elevation to director was a big mistake.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

If someone could one day explain the henious crimes Liam Watson inflicted on a section of our fan base I'd love to know. The only consistent good times in the last 20 years have been with him in charge; yet people seem desperate for him to fail at any given opportunity. Frankly it beggars belief.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm If someone could one day explain the henious crimes Liam Watson inflicted on a section of our fan base I'd love to know. The only consistent good times in the last 20 years have been with him in charge; yet people seem desperate for him to fail at any given opportunity. Frankly it beggars belief.
Totally with you on this EXP....Too many personal agenda's.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm If someone could one day explain the henious crimes Liam Watson inflicted on a section of our fan base I'd love to know. The only consistent good times in the last 20 years have been with him in charge; yet people seem desperate for him to fail at any given opportunity. Frankly it beggars belief.
You say that but..... the best football I have ever seen at Haig Ave. was under Steve Burr, and I've been going since about 1977.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:56 pm

You say that but..... the best football I have ever seen at Haig Ave. was under Steve Burr, and I've been going since about 1977.
Seriously?
In 39 years I've seen nothing at Haig Avenue to surpass Brian Kettles team in 1992/93 and I doubt I ever will.
29 wins in 42 league games, 103 goals scored.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm
GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Seriously?
In 39 years I've seen nothing at Haig Avenue to surpass Brian Kettles team in 1992/93 and I doubt I ever will.
29 wins in 42 league games, 103 goals scored.
With morecambe, barrow, Accrington, fleetwood and Chorley trailing in our wake and fleetwood finished nearly 60 points behind. This has to be the most depressing post I’ve seen on port chat 🤣🤣🤣
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

TrickyDicky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 pm

With morecambe, barrow, Accrington, fleetwood and Chorley trailing in our wake and fleetwood finished nearly 60 points behind. This has to be the most depressing post I’ve seen on port chat 🤣🤣🤣
Of those only Morecambe were really considered rivals at that time, not forgetting Marine of course who denied us the title for a few days on Easter Monday.
It was the first time we'd encountered Barrow since they joined the Alliance in 1979.
Accrington had only been in the NPL for a couple of years.
Fleetwood were wound up halfway through the following season.
Chorley were in a mess after a brief spell in the Conference and we beat them 6-1 an 7-1 in the space of a few weeks.

We were so good it's surprising the margin was only 6 points from a very good Winsford United team who never achieved such dizzy heights again.