Match Thread - Guiseley V Southport

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Kempster911

Re: FT: Guiseley 4 - 2 Southport

Post by Kempster911 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm If someone could one day explain the henious crimes Liam Watson inflicted on a section of our fan base I'd love to know. The only consistent good times in the last 20 years have been with him in charge; yet people seem desperate for him to fail at any given opportunity. Frankly it beggars belief.
Try stagnation,just rolls on and on
Unibond Awakes

Post by Unibond Awakes »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 pm
TrickyDicky wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 pm

With morecambe, barrow, Accrington, fleetwood and Chorley trailing in our wake and fleetwood finished nearly 60 points behind. This has to be the most depressing post I’ve seen on port chat 🤣🤣🤣
Of those only Morecambe were really considered rivals at that time, not forgetting Marine of course who denied us the title for a few days on Easter Monday.
It was the first time we'd encountered Barrow since they joined the Alliance in 1979.
Accrington had only been in the NPL for a couple of years.
Fleetwood were wound up halfway through the following season.
Chorley were in a mess after a brief spell in the Conference and we beat them 6-1 an 7-1 in the space of a few weeks.

We were so good it's surprising the margin was only 6 points from a very good Winsford United team who never achieved such dizzy heights again.
I agree that season Ralphy was just fantastic...Matlock away 5-1 great day Whitley Bay 5-1 , Colwyn Bay 4-2 at Northwich and that win at Christmas v Winsford 1-0 on an ice rink to name but a few...I seem to recall we played Barrow in 1985/86 era though not that it matters...hence the utter frustration about the stagnating playing position we find ourselves in tonight and increasingly its looking like being a relegation battle. Brian Kettle also took us to 4 and a successful second season when he suddenly resigned...
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 pm .I seem to recall we played Barrow in 1985/86 era
my memory must be fading. Barrow did indeed had a spell in the NPL from 86-89.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

The Kettle days were incredible for the club and attracted a generation of new supporters, including myself. We were averaging around 300 fans when he joined, and 1000 when he left.

To win a league in the manner that we did and playing such exciting football is almost a fantasy these days (despite what PHIL says).

Since then, although not the best football, I agree that Watson's teams have indeed brought us the best times. I'm not sure that's even debatable is it? Though I do remember John Coleman's short spell here quite fondly (although he also got a load of abuse from the usual suspects - so perhaps it's a compliment?).
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I was horrified when Kettle ‘left by mutual consent’. It was all very mysterious at the time.
I’ve heard two credible stories about why. I have no idea which is correct. Maybe both!
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Kempster911 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:50 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm If someone could one day explain the henious crimes Liam Watson inflicted on a section of our fan base I'd love to know. The only consistent good times in the last 20 years have been with him in charge; yet people seem desperate for him to fail at any given opportunity. Frankly it beggars belief.
Stagnation? Nothing to do with a former Chairman then?
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

I don't think that Brian Kettle ever had the recognition for his success from the club he deserved, a bit like Liam today.Our former Chairman had a pretty bad habit of falling out with people which led to individuals not leaving on the best of terms.Kettle was only seen on rare occasions after he left and I think that was quite sad.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

yellowfever wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:09 pm I don't think that Brian Kettle ever had the recognition for his success from the club he deserved, a bit like Liam today.Our former Chairman had a pretty bad habit of falling out with people which led to individuals not leaving on the best of terms.Kettle was only seen on rare occasions after he left and I think that was quite sad.
I fully agree. What might have been achieved if he had stayed?
Charlie had non-footballing reasons apparently.
You might have hoped that he could have found other solutions, rather than lose such a good manager.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

I think football came second on more than one occasion during decision making during that tenure....
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

yellowfever wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:02 pm
I'm not entirely sure how you blame Liam for what happened prior to him being here again as manager, but then I suspect that Kempster911 blames Liam for the origin of Covid-19 too....
Exiled Port Fan

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 pm We were so good it's surprising the margin was only 6 points from a very good Winsford United team who never achieved such dizzy heights again.
While we do get rightly frustrated to watch some teams go past us, there are plenty of old rivals who have dwindled away to (next to) nothing.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:39 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 pm We were so good it's surprising the margin was only 6 points from a very good Winsford United team who never achieved such dizzy heights again.
While we do get rightly frustrated to watch some teams go past us, there are plenty of old rivals who have dwindled away to (next to) nothing.
Absolutely. There's also a long list of teams across the UK over the years who lost wealthy investors and just collapsed. Perhaps we should be grateful we're not in that position?
SfcFPA

Post by SfcFPA »

yellowfever wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:09 pm I don't think that Brian Kettle ever had the recognition for his success from the club he deserved, a bit like Liam
Considering Liam's win rate as Southport manager is the same as Billy Bingham's and Brian's is 8% higher still, statistics agree.
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

We were in the league when Bingham was here so hardly a fair comparison.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:56 pm
I'm not entirely sure how you blame Liam for what happened prior to him being here again as manager, but then I suspect that Kempster911 blames Liam for the origin of Covid-19 too....
You just don't get it
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

I would like to make one very clear point here.

I believe what Liam Watson has done for Southport FC is absolutely fantastic, achieved at many times under hugely difficult circumstances. His devotion and love for the club cannot be questioned and I for one would like to thank him for all of his efforts.

My point at the current time is that I am not sure he has the right answers for what we need on the field at the moment. I don't want him to leave he has a lot to offer, as I have previously said. However, we do need something to change in the style of play and tactics we employ - for that I feel a fresh face is needed.
Exiled Port Fan

Kempster911 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:49 pm

You just don't get it
I know, it is almost like my first comment on this subject was a question!
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Stagnation is the consequence of Mr Watson being hired again.
A former chairman is irrelevant to the present situation.
yellowfever

Re: Match Thread - Guiseley V Southport

Post by yellowfever »

Irrelevant?
Chairman for 34 years- leaving the club in 2017 in EXACTLY the same league as when he came in after a 3rd relegation, and you say it isn't relevant to where the club finds itself in 2020?
Give us a break...
Four iron

Re: Match Thread - Guiseley V Southport

Post by Four iron »

Too many personal agendas for my liking.Are we not in the same place as when your Messiah took over?Happy Cristmas yellow fever I will buy you a drink if we survive this terrible pandemic