Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE

Re: Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

The points we picked up were mainly at the beginning. Projecting the results of the last few games and we’ll really be in trouble. It does have that 2002-3 feeling. We couldn’t think at the turn of the year that we would go down - we’d had a poor Autumn after a great start and the Notts County victory. But somehow we kept losing or drawing games that we should have won and the it was all down to that last awful day at Stevenage...
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:38 pm It does have that 2002-3 feeling. We couldn’t think at the turn of the year that we would go down.
We had 24 points after 14 games in 2002-03 and we were never considered to be in danger of going down until it was too late for a recovery.
Despite it being the turn of the year we're only 14 games in due to the late start, compared to 28 played at the turn of the year in 2002-03.

There's plenty of time for a recovery.

Then again I don't see how football can continue in the new year. Part time players travelling from region to region then going off to their day jobs is ridiculous. The season should be scrapped with no promotion or relegation - if anything it would bring a blessed relief from the doom-mongers on here.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:51 am
Unibond Awakes wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 pm We won’t go down under Brabin can you honestly say we will survive this season if we continue like this?
I can honestly say the current run of league form will not continue for the entire remainder of the season. It will undoubtedly improve and we won't go down.
[/quote
Have you taken over as manager?
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I am quite frankly amazed that people suggest Gary Brabin as a Southport manager in the final days of 2020. Not only has he been a coach and not a manager since 2016 (which shows Alan Lewer levels of managerial inactivity!) he left us in the lurch to go to Tranmere & has no recent knowledge of this level of football. Liam should be the manager until the end of the season (whenever that may be) and then a rethink should occur. Then we need to look at who is doing well at our level, who’s enterprising, ambitious & can employ tactics that work at this time and at this level.
That’s what we did way back in 2003 when we hired Liam - we went outside the club to appoint someone who was showing promise locally., had new ideas, useful contacts & knew the level. Basically we need a 2021 Liam Watson. The lack of imagination in constantly rehiring people who ‘know the club’ is startling. You need someone who has no knowledge of the club or even it’s history but knowledge of the division, recent success, contacts, an ability to improve players, a flexibility in tactics, can mould a team to the talent available and has an ambition to succeed.
Look outside, see who’s showing promise, think outside the box & let’s have some excitement, play on the front foot and most importantly enjoy our football. Stop employing people because they’ve been here before. I don’t personally know who this mystical person is but i’d find out before 2021-22 kicks off.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

On field, we’re a farce.

Off field, we’re brilliant.

Stick Tedford in charge!
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:02 am On field, we’re a farce.

Stick Tedford in charge!
With rob, julia, hamish and christine as the backbone of the team.....
Title winning capability I reckon...
Stratford Excile

Post by Stratford Excile »

SteH90 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 am I am quite frankly amazed that people suggest Gary Brabin as a Southport manager in the final days of 2020. Not only has he been a coach and not a manager since 2016 (which shows Alan Lewer levels of managerial inactivity!) he left us in the lurch to go to Tranmere & has no recent knowledge of this level of football. Liam should be the manager until the end of the season (whenever that may be) and then a rethink should occur. Then we need to look at who is doing well at our level, who’s enterprising, ambitious & can employ tactics that work at this time and at this level.
That’s what we did way back in 2003 when we hired Liam - we went outside the club to appoint someone who was showing promise locally., had new ideas, useful contacts & knew the level. Basically we need a 2021 Liam Watson. The lack of imagination in constantly rehiring people who ‘know the club’ is startling. You need someone who has no knowledge of the club or even it’s history but knowledge of the division, recent success, contacts, an ability to improve players, a flexibility in tactics, can mould a team to the talent available and has an ambition to succeed.
Look outside, see who’s showing promise, think outside the box & let’s have some excitement, play on the front foot and most importantly enjoy our football. Stop employing people because they’ve been here before. I don’t personally know who this mystical person is but i’d find out before 2021-22 kicks off.
Great Post.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:07 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:02 am On field, we’re a farce.

Stick Tedford in charge!
With rob, julia, hamish and christine as the backbone of the team.....
Title winning capability I reckon...
….And together with top striker Colonel Tom Moore who is well
acquainted with going around in circles no doubt about it.