Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Port on the Kent

Re: Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Post by Port on the Kent »

One win in nine matches and one home win all season. Those stats would be disappointing in the National League, but for that to have happened at this level is indefensible and frankly, not something I could have believed possible a few years ago.

The match was an improvement on previous displays, the formation looked much more natural and resulted in us scoring twice from open play and not conceding as much as a chance; but a soft underbelly from set pieces was our undoing. This worries me most about this team; when we play poorly we don't win and when we play well we don't win either. That is the classic hallmark of any struggling side and it's plastered all over this one. We are an extremely ineffective outfit and all the basics which win you matches at this level are missing; we have shipped goals from set pieces all season while offering no threat from them ourselves. There's no nouse or knowledge in the team, we can't close games out and there's a lack of character and grit. In terms of ability, there are worse teams than us (the last three visitors being Curzon, Alfreton and Farsley) are three of them, but they know how to play the level and we don't. It is all the more baffling when you consider the experience of our manager; whether he is struggling to get his message across to the players or they have stopped listening is up for debate. Given the two stats I started this post with, it is a miracle he is still in post but that doesn't appear likely to change.

Despite relegation form stretching back months now, I still believe we will have enough to finish around the 15th place mark. If that's good enough for the "at least we still have club" brigade then all the very best to you. We are establishing ourselves as a bottom half sixth tier club, which in terms of league position leaves us at our lowest ebb since 1980s. One for the current custodians of the club to consider.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Changing the subject....I thought that Dan strayed over the line a few times when making his kicks.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Curzon for an away side deserved a point. They looked dangerous every time the got the ball into our box. Hanford did well, Mo was the MOM , Morgan is struggling and gave away yet again a needless foul pushing over the guy on the touch line, who was no threat, from which they scored their first goal by a player who should have been red carded. Theirsecond was from a foul awarded the wrong way round.
Our aerial ability and hold up play upfront is woeful, so the first line of defence is non existent which in turn means our off form 2 central midfielders are struggling even more to cope. Considering the number of corners and free kicks we concede it’s no wonder percentage wise that some are going to land plumb onto the heads of the opposition. I actually don’t blame the defenders today.
We started lack lustre yet again and that’s down to poor motivational coaching and fitness, we are the quietest vocal team I’ve seen this season manifested by a coach who looks like he’s too cold to focus on the game and keeps his hands in his pocket and hood up for most of the game. I’m sick of this Groundhog Day stuff, I’m bitterly disappointed , I haven’t got the answers but what I do know is we are the worse team I’ve seem in the conference north this season and for those in denial , we are in a serious relegation battle. If we get nothing from Fylde and Curzon away then it’s goodnight Vienna for me personally on the Management team of two as we’re heading for the Northern Premier League.
I hope I’m proved totally wrong, I’m happy to eat my words but this is no knee jerk reaction our style of play and coaching is an anachronism .
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

issy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:26 pm When we launch the ball forward, how many times do we win the header? The answer is very, very few. Therefore we are effectively giving possession away most of the game. When we played it on the floor we looked much more dangerous. I am afraid Liam's tactics don't work any more.
If we get beat at Halifax our season is effectively over!
The point isn’t necessarily to win the headers, but to win any second balls high up the pitch.

We are only a few points from the playoffs. The season is far from over.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:05 pm
issy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:26 pm We are only a few points from the playoffs. The season is far from over.
Ste we’ve played about 15 games more , you’re right about the season because safety is all I’m bothered about right now :shock:
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:58 pm Changing the subject....I thought that Dan strayed over the line a few times when making his kicks.
Dan strays over the line too many times , the touch line and the opposition dead ball line.
His best pass today was a great throw to the half way line setting up an attack.
He should do it more often because if he does we are in position of the ball in the opposition half every time.
Enjoyable game for most part but I predicted both of their goals they were like penalties with that wind.
It’s frustrating because I think we have the players ,
As someone said we cannot defend set pieces and are not very good taking them.
old gold and black

Post by old gold and black »

I`m sick and tired of the standard of the officials at this level, dubious free kicks, both side should only have had ten men on at the end of the game. I know most people are fed up with VAR and the errors that is making proves my point because it`s not interpreted properly by those who should know better. I don`t watch football to be entertained by the referee, I`ll get me coat.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Ste_B wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:05 pm
issy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:26 pm When we launch the ball forward, how many times do we win the header? The answer is very, very few. Therefore we are effectively giving possession away most of the game. When we played it on the floor we looked much more dangerous. I am afraid Liam's tactics don't work any more.
If we get beat at Halifax our season is effectively over!
The point isn’t necessarily to win the headers, but to win any second balls high up the pitch.

We are only a few points from the playoffs. The season is far from over.
That is the intention of the long ball but often we don’t win the first or the second ball which results in us giving possession straight back to the opposition. It’s why fans become frustrated because especially at home it feels like we have less than 40% possession per game. If the opponent has 60% and you struggle to defend set pieces they will score
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Perhaps it’s been missed in the substantial communication from the club but what exactly is the aspiration for this season? Has it ever been communicated? Is lower mid-table the target? Should IK be stating his ambitions for the club? There have been “five year plans” and “definitely going to win the league” in the past. Going into 2021, does anybody know what the on field future of SFC really is?
george

Post by george »

Didn't see the game ,bit fed up with.it
Fed up watching endless crap long balls into the corner
Fed up watching a team that has no idea how to take a set piece, or defend one,the coach should be shot
Fed up.watching the only danger from a silly long throw
Fed up of being crap
The team,and the place.needs a lift,new manager, new coach, new ideas............wot.we.have now.is killing the club
Dicko's Gloves

Post by Dicko's Gloves »

Decent game in tough conditions and did enough to win. I am surprised its not been mentioned more but both goals were Hanfords fault. Balls played into the 6 yard box should be taken by the goalkeeper, for both goals he was rooted to his line. My opinion only but he is no where good enough for this level, he costs us at least a goal a game and his great saves are never at 0-0, they only happen after he has let in a shocker.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

george wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:37 am Didn't see the game ,bit fed up with.it
Fed up watching endless crap long balls into the corner
Fed up watching a team that has no idea how to take a set piece, or defend one,the coach should be shot
Fed up.watching the only danger from a silly long throw
Fed up of being crap
The team,and the place.needs a lift,new manager, new coach, new ideas............wot.we.have now.is killing the club

Totally agree with this but your wasting your time hoping for change. Firstly IK is too weak to change anything, secondly Watson will not be going anywhere as he is un sackable, thirdly were in a pandemic and this is the excuse that will be used.

Get used to this I’m afraid it’s another 20 plus years of this crap. The ones I feel sorry for are James, Christine who are working tirelessly and tremendously and also us fans that have had to suffer with this garbage all our life.

And before anyone says well you should follow club through good times and bad that’s complete and utter rubbish. 30 years of following crap it’s been and only so much one’s patience can now take.
badger

Post by badger »

Things can only get better but not while this present management team are in charge . They are an outdated pair and " It Is what It Is " till they go.
yellosoul

Post by yellosoul »

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the nasty foul on Hanford that left him immobilised and consequently unable to deal with the crosses into the box
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Some ridiculous posts on here from the usual suspects (especially those who didn’t even watch the game :roll: ). I’m sure they were delighted when we conceded the late equaliser.

The performance was a significant improvement on previous matches and we looked much more dangerous going forward, although the defending of set pieces is a worry. I think we deserved 3 points overall, especially as both of their goals came from questionable decisions.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

On reflection it is a game we should have been able to hold onto, the more worrying aspect is, the last time we saw us the home team, impose ourselves from the off, you would expect the fancied teams York Boston Brackley etc. to be a tough prospect, but really sitting back to teams at a lower level in the table is not the answer.
You have 2 good outlets to change the game in Vassallo & Woods, keep them wide dont allow them to drift infield, we then have an outlet for Hanford, certainly at this level any team who have players who can run skilfully with the ball provide many goal chances. This persistent moving of 20 players following like Sheep in the Centre Field is awful to watch, I would like to know if the players really enjoy playing this system employed now, I doubt it.
Until we start games with intent this slide will continue. It is a good job we started the season as well as we did. The home form is the key & 1 win in the League is not good enough.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Exiled wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:10 am Some ridiculous posts on here from the usual suspects (especially those who didn’t even watch the game :roll: ). I’m sure they were delighted when we conceded the late equaliser.

The performance was a significant improvement on previous matches and we looked much more dangerous going forward, although the defending of set pieces is a worry. I think we deserved 3 points overall, especially as both of their goals came from questionable decisions.
Absolute rubbish no supporter wants their team to lose or concede but we fully expect it and just say it as and has been for many a year. Yes I didn’t watch the game not because I didn’t want to but I have little baby on the way so apologies but my time is occupied right now with what I believe is more important things right now. But when I look at the scores throughout the game and see that we conceded for the umpteenth time over the years in the last seconds then you can understand that patience wears thin.

All I want is Southport to show ambition, signs of improvement, and a management team whose style of football isn’t from the dinosaur ages. If somehow we miraculously turn this round I will be the first on here to praise but we are light years away from getting anywhere near the national league.

Is wanting success for the club a crime??
badger

Post by badger »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:28 am On reflection it is a game we should have been able to hold onto, the more worrying aspect is, the last time we saw us the home team, impose ourselves from the off, you would expect the fancied teams York Boston Brackley etc. to be a tough prospect, but really sitting back to teams at a lower level in the table is not the answer.
You have 2 good outlets to change the game in Vassallo & Woods, keep them wide dont allow them to drift infield, we then have an outlet for Hanford, certainly at this level any team who have players who can run skilfully with the ball provide many goal chances. This persistent moving of 20 players following like Sheep in the Centre Field is awful to watch, I would like to know if the players really enjoy playing this system employed now, I doubt it.
Until we start games with intent this slide will continue. It is a good job we started the season as well as we did. The home form is the key & 1 win in the League is not good enough.
Watson has all ways played this 20 players in the Center Field . I noticed it years ago. No wingers Watson' just look back a few years at some of his games nothing has changed .
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

badger wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:28 am On reflection it is a game we should have been able to hold onto, the more worrying aspect is, the last time we saw us the home team, impose ourselves from the off, you would expect the fancied teams York Boston Brackley etc. to be a tough prospect, but really sitting back to teams at a lower level in the table is not the answer.
Watson has all ways played this 20 players in the Center Field . I noticed it years ago. No wingers Watson' just look back a few years at some of his games nothing has changed .
You’ll probably catch a few with that one.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

We don’t have a divine right to beat the unfashionable teams because we’re unfashionable too.

I welcome the change of system. It’ll take a few games to bed in if they stick with it. As we’ve seen in this league before, if a team can put a strong run of points together, then you can catapult yourselves up the league fairly quickly. Let’s hope that’s us. There’s been no evidence yet that that will be us, of course. But you never know.

Many of us asked the management to change the system and they’ve done it. It’s up to them to get the results now. The manager obviously won’t be changing.