Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
badger

Re: Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Post by badger »

Let us hope so Chester and Chorley on the way up we are on the way down the table .Teams below us have games in hand too.
Stratford Excile

Post by Stratford Excile »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am
Exiled wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:10 am Some ridiculous posts on here from the usual suspects (especially those who didn’t even watch the game :roll: ). I’m sure they were delighted when we conceded the late equaliser.

The performance was a significant improvement on previous matches and we looked much more dangerous going forward, although the defending of set pieces is a worry. I think we deserved 3 points overall, especially as both of their goals came from questionable decisions.
Absolute rubbish no supporter wants their team to lose or concede but we fully expect it and just say it as and has been for many a year. Yes I didn’t watch the game not because I didn’t want to but I have little baby on the way so apologies but my time is occupied right now with what I believe is more important things right now. But when I look at the scores throughout the game and see that we conceded for the umpteenth time over the years in the last seconds then you can understand that patience wears thin.

All I want is Southport to show ambition, signs of improvement, and a management team whose style of football isn’t from the dinosaur ages. If somehow we miraculously turn this round I will be the first on here to praise but we are light years away from getting anywhere near the national league.

Is wanting success for the club a crime??
I really do not see any signs of ambition at all and certainly not when Liam Watson is interviewed-all I hear is that it is what it is!!
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

A global pandemic still raging-lucky to be seeing a live game of football (although that might not be for much longer again as tiers are regularly reviewed) a government money deal finishing shortly along with the 3 year "Pure" sponsorship? It's all about getting through a season of football and surviving as a football club (as Iv'e said previous) in a season that should never have started.I don't like it particularly and yesterday's crowd atmosphere was strange and far from normal for me but that's where the club is-trying to do their best in not normal circumstances.I just guess we have to grasp the realism even more so now -than we did before this mess that we're in as a Country.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Same for all clubs. It is what it is. 🙉
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:16 pm Same for all clubs. It is what it is. 🙉
The 3 year Pure Buisness sponsorship deal isn"t at every club-that I'm aware?
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:21 pm
GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:16 pm Same for all clubs. It is what it is. 🙉
Good point! We should be better.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:21 pm
Without knowing how much it's worth it's impossible to compare it to whatever other clubs may have or whether it is easily replaced with a deal of equal or better value when it comes to an end in the summer of 2022.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Jonny Smith wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am Yes I didn’t watch the game not because I didn’t want to but I have little baby on the way so apologies but my time is occupied right now with what I believe is more important things right now.
Here's hoping that fatherhood blesses you with some much needed maturity.
Gilbert69

Post by Gilbert69 »

Shambles . Curzon were shi** the players shouldn't get payed after that 2nd half performance motm mo ali closely followed by connor Woods both had a very good game . We will struggle to keep connor come the summer especially if he carrys on performing in front of accrington scouts and players . We didnt create anything 2nd half not looking good think were in relegation scrap . I dont particularly like Watson but for me today the players have to take responsibility for that more than liam . Lose vs fylde Monday n fail to be curzon away next Saturday we could see liam sacked
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Bobby wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:46 pm Perhaps it’s been missed in the substantial communication from the club but what exactly is the aspiration for this season? Has it ever been communicated? Is lower mid-table the target? Should IK be stating his ambitions for the club? There have been “five year plans” and “definitely going to win the league” in the past. Going into 2021, does anybody know what the on field future of SFC really is?
Absolutely no ambition within the club. Mr Kyle & Co. are satisfied to
meander along in this league where Mr Watson is in his element. Due
to a lack of funds and as Clapham realised early doors the gates would
never sustain a higher level. The carrot of the play-offs for the punters
is just that, nothing more.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Kempster911 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:22 pm
Bobby wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:46 pm Perhaps it’s been missed in the substantial communication from the club but what exactly is the aspiration for this season? Has it ever been communicated? Is lower mid-table the target? Should IK be stating his ambitions for the club? There have been “five year plans” and “definitely going to win the league” in the past. Going into 2021, does anybody know what the on field future of SFC really is?
Ian Kyle lovely fella and massive respect for him taking on the job that Phil left us in. But unfortunately is not strong enough in making a decision to sack watson. Liam will not be going anywhere even if we got relegated to the NPL Watson and McCarthy will still be in the dugout.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

As I’ve said before, we need more people on the board. Without Liam, Ian would have nobody to support him in running the club. He’s not an autocrat like Charlie - he needs someone to talk to!
BTW, a reasonable gate yesterday all considered. How were Telford allowed 1600 against Chester, though?
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Liam made the point in his interview that I made yesterday. Since he changed the system we are unbeaten in three games.

It might not be pretty at the moment but it has definitely improved us.

Patience
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:40 pm How were Telford allowed 1600 against Chester, though?
It has a bigger normal capacity to start with and unlike Haig Avenue their stands and terraces are all the full length and width of the pitch which presumably allows space for more people whilst still allowing for social distancing. The fact they have access and egress on all 4 sides of their ground may also be a factor.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Just over 700 in attendance, it looked like more - improvement on previous two games and certainly a big bonus to the club, with the gate receipts on top of the funding which remains unchanged.
We should also get the furlough money in Jan that the government promised and few clubs are changing their squads.
Our squad is fairly small.
Doyle and Wood are injured. Doyle 2 weeks I understand. Not heard any update on Marcus - has he had the second op?
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:18 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am Yes I didn’t watch the game not because I didn’t want to but I have little baby on the way so apologies but my time is occupied right now with what I believe is more important things right now.
Already a dad pal.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Paulisi wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:40 pm Just over 700 in attendance, it looked like more - improvement on previous two games and certainly a big bonus to the club, with the gate receipts on top of the funding which remains unchanged.
We should also get the furlough money in Jan that the government promised and few clubs are changing their squads.
Our squad is fairly small.
Doyle and Wood are injured. Doyle 2 weeks I understand. Not heard any update on Marcus - has he had the second op?
Marcus Wood was warming up on his own before the Curzon match - mostly running around the pitch rather than ball work as I suspect he’ll avoid tackles & contact with other players if he’s just had his operation.
badger

Post by badger »

Kempster911 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:22 pm

I think we could sustain higher gates if we had a decent team near the top of the Conference' Table and looking like we could get back in the Football League . Being around the relegation zone and us getting relegated does nothing to attract higher gates plus the way we play is defeatist Watson has never in recent years given us much hope when we play at Haig Ave that a fact. If I remember correctly when he first came to Southport F C from Runcorn ? they had Played five games at Home and lost all five. Not much is changing is it. :?:
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

by Jonny Smith » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Ralphy Rylance wrote: ↑Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:18 pm
Jonny Smith wrote: ↑Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am
Yes I didn’t watch the game not because I didn’t want to but I have little baby on the way so apologies but my time is occupied right now with what I believe is more important things right now.
Already a dad pal.

I thought we had stopped insulting people RR! Flowery language doesn't make it any less of an insult!
JS is a keen supporter who gives his time when he can to the Club and has a right to his opinions.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

It has a bigger normal capacity to start with and unlike Haig Avenue their stands and terraces are all the full length and width of the pitch which presumably allows space for more people whilst still allowing for social distancing. The fact they have access and egress on all 4 sides of their ground may also be a factor.
Probably true. Interesting though that this gate was bigger than they had been getting last season when their gates had fallen considerably. There can't be many letting crowds in who can say that - Hereford for example had only 900 when they were averaging close to 2000 BC (Before Covid).