Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Brianm

Re: Match Thread - Southport V Curzon Ashton

Post by Brianm »

I am afraid that people who say that there is a complete lack of ambition at the Club appear to be right. I don't blame Ian Kyle for this as he has done his level best to keep things on an even keel and I doubt that he has limitless funds. Sadly I am afraid that I do blame Liam Watson. I accept that he has the Club at heart and loves the Club, but you simply cannot be a Director and the Manager at the same time. There is an obvious conflict of interests. As much as people want to criticise Phil Hodgkinson, the man did wonders for us in the short time he was with us and left us with a legacy too. Until someone else with money comes along things are very unlikely to change. It is a sad fact that even at our level, money is everything! However, we must not get relegated to the NPL as that would mean a complete disaster in my view and we would never get back to anywhere near where we would like to be. In the meantime, it is up to the management to improve the team.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Brianm wrote:
I thought we had stopped insulting people RR! Flowery language doesn't make it any less of an insult!
JS is a keen supporter who gives his time when he can to the Club and has a right to his opinions.
There's nothing flowery about my language.
It's simply plain English written in terms that cannot be misinterpreted.
If insults are your concern perhaps you might want to re-read all of the bile that Mr Smith has directed at the chairman, manager and coach since this forum was relaunched.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

As a fan surely we are entitled to opinion. And since the forum has re launched I have just had gripe with the manager being past his sell by date which seems to be shared by quite a number of people on this forum. As for the rest of the board I have nothing but respect for the work Ian, James, Christine amd others have done which I have made it fully clear on numerous posts(you may wanna read previous posts) yes I have said that Ian maybe not strong enough to remove Liam from his post but that’s not his fault he has done a tremendous job taking over from Phil.

I respect Watson for loving the club but it’s a results business and like I’ve said as a supporter for over 30 years patience has now worn thin and want some ambition. Is that such a bad thing???
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 am As a fan surely we are entitled to opinion. And since the forum has re launched I have just had gripe with the manager being past his sell by date which seems to be shared by quite a number of people on this forum. As for the rest of the board I have nothing but respect for the work Ian, James, Christine amd others have done which I have made it fully clear on numerous posts(you may wanna read previous posts) yes I have said that Ian maybe not strong enough to remove Liam from his post but that’s not his fault he has done a tremendous job taking over from Phil.

I respect Watson for loving the club but it’s a results business and like I’ve said as a supporter for over 30 years patience has now worn thin and want some ambition. Is that such a bad thing???
Yes you're entitled to your opinion but describing Ian Kyle as weak and lacking the balls to sack the manager can only be described as insulting and far from respectful. And you've said it on more than one occasion - you may also want to read your own posts.
You've also stated that following Southport has been crap all your life so I wonder why you bother.
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dicko's Gloves

Post by Dicko's Gloves »

Jonny Smith wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 am As a fan surely we are entitled to opinion. And since the forum has re launched I have just had gripe with the manager being past his sell by date which seems to be shared by quite a number of people on this forum. As for the rest of the board I have nothing but respect for the work Ian, James, Christine amd others have done which I have made it fully clear on numerous posts(you may wanna read previous posts) yes I have said that Ian maybe not strong enough to remove Liam from his post but that’s not his fault he has done a tremendous job taking over from Phil.

You say the same thing over and over again, gets so tedious. Watson will be in charge until at least the end of the season.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Jonny, as a supporter of over 60 years, I have long since run out of patience. Patience has been replaced by resignation and a little hope, though I am running out of hope.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Yes you're entitled to your opinion but describing Ian Kyle as weak and lacking the balls to sack the manager can only be described as insulting and far from respectful. And you've said it on more than one occasion - you may also want to read your own posts.
You've also stated that following Southport has been crap all your life so I wonder why you bother.
Maybe he bothers because he's from Southport and likes football. Better that than supporting the scousers 20 miles away.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:49 pm
Maybe he bothers because he's from Southport and likes football.
If he likes football he certainly doesn't appear to enjoy supporting Southport at all. He says it's been crap all his life. So that's 3 titles and a Wembley appearance all dismissed as part of over 30 years of disappointment.
Maybe we're not the club for him.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:12 pm
GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:49 pm
Maybe he bothers because he's from Southport and likes football.
If he likes football he certainly doesn't appear to enjoy supporting Southport at all. He says it's been crap all his life. So that's 3 titles and a Wembley appearance all dismissed as part of over 30 years of disappointment.
Maybe we're not the club for him.
Southport FC will always be the club for me until the day I die. Because I have strong opinion on our lack of ambition doesn’t mean I can’t be disappointed. I love the club which is probably why I feel so passionate but not always complimentary.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

My moan is not with fellow supporters and portchatters ( we need them all more than ever) ; we can simply agree to disagree whatever, it’s certainly not with the people running the club off field who are doing an excellent job and it’s not with previous managers who have come and gone and are now etched in past history for good or bad ; but my accumulated gripe and it’s a big one I’m sorry to say with the current managerial duo running the team , buying, selling, selecting, training, researching opponents and determining tactics for the players and overall producing positive progress and results on the pitch for which they are failing and potentially failing badly or even disastrously if this rot continues. Raineri, mouriniho, van gaal all binned off within 3 months after winning major trophies, Chris wilder will be next I don’t doubt , sentiment is a very dangerous thing sometimes in football . We all love the club for better and mainly for worse but as I’ve said before when money goes out the door, “love” goes out the window but not for us paying supporters
Of course !!
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

You’ve listed managers who were sacked prematurely and their teams consequently achieved nothing as a result. Can you give us a number of examples of how getting rid of a long serving and previously successful manager has worked really well? I’m sure there are some, although a fraction of the number of teams that have suffered as a result of chopping and changing the manager.

I don’t doubt a number of supporters on here would have sacked the Chorley manager after their miserable start to the season, but they’re not doing so badly now...
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

Surely the present manager has had a lot more time than others.This is his team and no one elses.The excuses have run out .We are going nowhere under the present regime.Will things change? I dont think so.At least the Liam lovers are content with the present situation.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm You’ve listed managers who were sacked prematurely and their teams consequently achieved nothing as a result. Can you give us a number of examples of how getting rid of a long serving and previously successful manager has worked really well? I’m sure there are some, although a fraction of the number of teams that have suffered as a result of chopping and changing the manager.

I don’t doubt a number of supporters on here would have sacked the Chorley manager after their miserable start to the season, but they’re not doing so badly now...
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm You’ve listed managers who were sacked prematurely and their teams consequently achieved nothing as a result. Can you give us a number of examples of how getting rid of a long serving and previously successful manager has worked really well? I’m sure there are some, although a fraction of the number of teams that have suffered as a result of chopping and changing the manager.

Ste I’m not a Wikipedia on football I’m sorry but pelligrinni replaced by guardiola was an ok move I suppose, Rodgers replaced by Klopp , Pearson replaced by Ranieri , sorry I’m sure I can produce lots of names in lower leagues I would hope, but it is the Xmas holidays and I’ve just downed a few glasses of wine with my tea . So up the Port have a good night👍
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

TrickyDicky wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Ste I’m not a Wikipedia on football I’m sorry but pelligrinni replaced by guardiola was an ok move I suppose, Rodgers replaced by Klopp , Pearson replaced by Ranieri , sorry I’m sure I can produce lots of names in lower leagues I would hope, but it is the Xmas holidays and I’ve just downed a few glasses of wine with my tea . So up the Port have a good night👍
Clubs who can sack a manager and still have £millions to attract others at the top of the game are hardly a fair comparison with Southport.

33 managers in 42 years(43 if you count caretakers, interims and repeat appointments). 3 years of boardroom changes. Pay off another one and how much is left in the budget to attract another one midway through the season in the midst of a pandemic. Who in their right mind would come? Who you gonna call?
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:38 pm
TrickyDicky wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Clubs who can sack a manager and still have £millions to attract others at the top of the game are hardly a fair comparison with Southport.

33 managers in 42 years(43 if you count caretakers, interims and repeat appointments). 3 years of boardroom changes. Pay off another one and how much is left in the budget to attract another one midway through the season in the midst of a pandemic. Who in their right mind would come? Who you gonna call?
Precisely .Who would want to come with L W in the background.The club has worked itself into a terrible position.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Okay you’re right let’s stick with a failing manager partnership and look forward to playing Bamber bridge next season Doh, we can’t afford not to replace them the way things are going with due respect of course. From what I’ve seen I’d replace McCarthy with a ventriloquists dummy
Unibond Awakes

Post by Unibond Awakes »

I would be looking to the likes of Gary Brabin to come in and shake things up a bit........ tiring of lame excuses week after week, it a very awkward situation having a board member being a Manager that’s for sure for any club .I cannot understand why supporters can be satusfied where Port are at the present and making no impression season after season
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

There may have already been conversations behind the scenes about changes to the management team in the summer. We cannot continue limping along season after season, but this is a dangerous time to replace a manager, we are only just above the relegation zone on PPG and with the covid context, scrambling some points is the priority for now. Despite Liam's failures we should scramble enough points to survive, then there must be renewal before next season. Stability has turned into stagnation and there is no sense of any urgency or motivation to do better. One win in ten, one home win all season, three home games with the luxury of fans up the wall. You would expect blood on the walls but all I see is shoulder shrugging. The old Liam had fire in his belly, all I see now is resigned acceptance and a lack of motivation. His line about "Marine v Southport being a Boxing Day derby" during his last interview sums up where he sees us a club. To his credit, he is probably a victim of the Phil debacle, he was tempted out of retirememt under the pretense of unlimited money to spend and that didn't materialise. I wonder if deep down, he regrets coming back.

I was supportive of his return because I expected similarities to his previous two spells. Not necessarily in terms of immediate success, but certainly in style and spirit. His teams used to be defined by being free-scoring, defensively solid, combative, hard to beat, experienced, and a threat from set-pieces. The team he has built this time round bears no resemblance to what came before. Why? Hard to say, but it's difficult to not look at the retirement of his old warriors who followed him from club-to-club. "Watson only signs his mates" was always unfair and I can think of many counter examples; but nontheless, you can chart Watson's success and failures as a manager against their presence and absence. His last successful season was 2013/14 when AFC Telford won the league - that was also the last season he had that core of former players. His career has been on a downwards trajectory ever since that cohort hung up their boots.

None of this erases the past and I would love nothing more for him to take a prominent seat on the board, look happy again, while the club progresses with a fresh approach and modern coaching methods that better reflect the game today.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:33 pm I would be looking to the likes of Gary Brabin to come in and shake things up a bit........
And then what? Because Gary doesn't stay anywhere very long, least of all Southport.