A Little Post Christmas Trivia

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
tonyhey

A Little Post Christmas Trivia

Post by tonyhey »

I’ve just been reading that Sheffield United’s defeat to Everton last night, put them in the unenviable position of joining us, Barrow and Newport County in having the worst start to a Football League season, 2 points from 15 games.
yellosoul

Re: A Little Post Christmas Trivia

Post by yellosoul »

We also get a mention in the Sunday Times today, referencing our 11-0 Boxing Day defeat in 1962, ‘the weather was decent enough at Oldham..’
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

yellosoul wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:07 pm We also get a mention in the Sunday Times today, referencing our 11-0 Boxing Day defeat in 1962, ‘the weather was decent enough at Oldham..’
I remember it well, I cried all night long. We did win the return game 2-1 though.
Stratford Excile

Post by Stratford Excile »

Remember watching Grandstand that afternoon and David Coleman announcing a freak half time score for freak weather and I think we were 7-0 down then.

Not a great memory!!
sandgrounder 1965

Post by sandgrounder 1965 »

I was there that day,the snow was a lest 3 feet round the ground.Jimmy Rollo in goal for Oldham and we signed him a few months later.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Was it that season or the season before that when we lost 5-0 at home to Oldham on the most snow-covered pitch I’ve ever seen played on? Absolutely perishing cold.
Here’s another bit of trivia - looking through the league tables, I count 9 clubs in NLN that can claim (albeit tenuously in some cases where the original club folded) to have played in the Football League? NONE in NLS. Shows some of the difficulty we face.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Good call SSE..
Unfortunately that kind of fact will go over the heads of a lot of numpty posters on here.