Favourite kits

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
SfcFPA

Favourite kits

Post by SfcFPA »

Interested to know what supporters favourite Port shirts are from years gone by. What was yours?

There might be a reason behind this question ;)
Ste_B

Re: Favourite kits

Post by Ste_B »

It has to be the old gold triangle kit from 93? 94?

And yes I’d buy one.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I’m a traditionalist when it comes to kits so a simple yellow with black details rather than stripes or halves that we’ve had. As with many fans I loved the kit I first saw us in back in 90-91 (when it was more old gold than the current yellow). If we could get retro shirts for sale I’d certainly be in the queue!
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

While on the subject of kits, when a new one is due do you think there is any chance of getting exactly the same as Wolves kit (the colours and design I mean, with Port logos on obviously!) or at least as near as possible given the probable different manufacturer? I always admire their kit when I see them on television.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

We probably copied Wolves back in the 50s so it would bring us back full circle (they were the same figures in Subbuteo leastways).
Let’s get names back on shirts too.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am We probably copied Wolves back in the 50s so it would bring us back full circle (they were the same figures in Subbuteo leastways).
Let’s get names back on shirts too.
I think I read that gold was our away kit but after some good wins whilst wearing it we decided to change it to the home kit.
There's a newspaper cartoon in "the book" relating to us asking permission to wear gold for a cup tie v Carlisle (which of course we lost!). Wolves and Arsenal had both worn gold in recent cup winning finals.
Billy Bingham later changed the shorts from black to gold, copying the likes of Liverpool and Leeds who had changed to kits where shirts, shorts and socks were all 1 colour. We then adopted blue trim and shorts in the 1970s which was the then the same Subutteo team as Arsenal away.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

If I remember that kit went well with tights!
I can still picture big Eric sporting them.
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Late Seventies, Admiral bright blue and yellow.
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

Black and white stripes were my favourite.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

I’d have all old gold, away strip black and white stripes.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

We wore all red away to Hull in 1966- not a colour I like . I grew up watching them in black and “gold”. I never liked the move to the same all coloured kit or the move to blue and yellow. I think “gold” and black and the shade of amber ? we play now is fine, although I would like to see us in the original black and white stripes if only in away kit. I really disliked the insipid yellow colour we wore at one stage which we’ve now ditched.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Anything but:

The yellow and green "away" kit circa 2001/02(?)
Any time we wear yellow shirts with white shorts and socks (ie Durham away 2009)
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

Swedes

Post by Swedes »

cobby7 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:04 pm If I remember that kit went well with tights!
I can still picture big Eric sporting them.
Eric Redrobe wore tights whilst playing? Why has this not been mentioned before when people are reminiscing about him as a player? Finding this out is like being told Santa Claus isn't real.
becbee

Post by becbee »

Tights didn't exist back when Eric Redrobe was playing. Long johns existed but I have no recollection of any footballer ever wearing them.
Tangled Up In Yellow

Post by Tangled Up In Yellow »

There was a photo in the newspaper in the sixties of 4 or 5 players wearing tights. They never played in them, just wore them in training to keep warm. Redrobe and Andrews were 2 of them but I don't remember who the others were. I'm sure someone will post the photo soon!
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

cavjj wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:05 pm Image
What an embarrassing night that was.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

becbee wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:19 pm Tights didn't exist back when Eric Redrobe was playing. Long johns existed but I have no recollection of any footballer ever wearing them.
Billy Bingham had them wearing ballet tights in training.
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Brianm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:48 am While on the subject of kits, when a new one is due do you think there is any chance of getting exactly the same as Wolves kit (the colours and design I mean, with Port logos on obviously!) or at least as near as possible given the probable different manufacturer? I always admire their kit when I see them on television.
Yes!!!!
yellosoul

Post by yellosoul »

Tangled Up In Yellow wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:32 am There was a photo in the newspaper in the sixties of 4 or 5 players wearing tights. They never played in them, just wore them in training to keep warm. Redrobe and Andrews were 2 of them but I don't remember who the others were. I'm sure someone will post the photo soon!
Stuart Shaw was one, I’ve got the picture somewhere will dig it out if I can