Favourite kits

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe fan

Re: Favourite kits

Post by Redrobe fan »

I may be wrong, but I remember them wearing tights in matches in very cold weather.
I never watched them in training so surely my memory must have been of a match.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Players were much softer back then.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:50 pm Players were much softer back then.
;)

It was a Billy Bingham gimmick. He was a good PR man, as well as a good man manager.
Keeping their muscles warm probably makes a lot of physiological sense.
Stratford Excile

Post by Stratford Excile »

Tangled Up In Yellow wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:32 am There was a photo in the newspaper in the sixties of 4 or 5 players wearing tights. They never played in them, just wore them in training to keep warm. Redrobe and Andrews were 2 of them but I don't remember who the others were. I'm sure someone will post the photo soon!
Arthur Peat was one of them.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

tonyhey wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:54 am
cavjj wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:05 pm Image
What an embarrassing night that was.
That night was a low in our recent history. If ever there was a metaphor for how the club was at that time, this was it. Absolute debacle.

However, back to the subject of good kits...because of this kit debacle, we had a third kit that season, which was white with a black chevron, if I remember correctly? That was lovely.

But the Strata triangle spew kit from the early nineties was a classic. As was the white away from a season or so later with the old gold and black bold lines coming over the top of the sleeves. Stunning.
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Courtesy of Rob Urwin!
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Very interesting Pic......can you name the players, Sandy Shaw George Andrews Amby Clarke Eric the Red?? Comment below....Happy New Year All :)
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

If you wanted to name the best Southport team ever, you could chose that team.
Stratford Excile

Post by Stratford Excile »

Redrobe fan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:01 pm If you wanted to name the best Southport team ever, you could chose that team.
Never been a better team.
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:43 pm Very interesting Pic......can you name the players, Sandy Shaw George Andrews Amby Clarke Eric the Red?? Comment below....Happy New Year All :)
Part of what was a great squad.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

We’re are two keepers Brian Reeves and Albert Lord? I was a real Nipper then I remember we flew flags at the Blowick End!
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:31 am
tonyhey wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:54 am
cavjj wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:05 pm Image
What an embarrassing night that was.
That night was a low in our recent history. If ever there was a metaphor for how the club was at that time, this was it. Absolute debacle.

However, back to the subject of good kits...because of this kit debacle, we had a third kit that season, which was white with a black chevron, if I remember correctly? That was lovely.

But the Strata triangle spew kit from the early nineties was a classic. As was the white away from a season or so later with the old gold and black bold lines coming over the top of the sleeves. Stunning.
It might have been "a low" in kit history but far worse that season in actual games played, and the following season 2017/18.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

I think John Armstrong was a second Keeper to Brian Reeves , he was a good keeper and coach he used to train my District League team Mornington Road on Princes Park.
He was a great bloke.
becbee

Post by becbee »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:11 am
becbee wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:19 pm Tights didn't exist back when Eric Redrobe was playing. Long johns existed but I have no recollection of any footballer ever wearing them.
Billy Bingham had them wearing ballet tights in training.
Never thought of ballet tights. I know that tights didn't exist for normal wear, women had to wear stockings or "hold-ups".