Carry on football!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Formula Port

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Formula Port »

cavjj wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm Mods note: Deleted a post and reference to corruption. No evidence was offered and if the statement was libellous, the publisher (Port Chat) would be liable.
Free speech for a completely tongue in cheek comment?
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

Formula Port wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 pm
cavjj wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm Mods note: Deleted a post and reference to corruption. No evidence was offered and if the statement was libellous, the publisher (Port Chat) would be liable.
Free speech for a completely tongue in cheek comment?
Free speech is the protection to say what you want without legal consequences from the state where your speech was lawful.

It doesn’t mean anyone who owns a website has to give you a microphone to spout any old bollocks you choose.

I get that the comment was tongue in cheek, I’m just being overly cautious. My post was to try to maintain transparency on actions taken by the mods, not to give anyone a telling off.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Looking increasingly likely that the steps below us are going to null and void their seasons.

So no relegation from our league.

11 clubs in National League divisions have confirmed positive Covid cases ahead of this weekend and their games postponed.

First round of EFL testing 112 positive tests.

In the FA Cup tonight Liverpool will now face Aston Villa's under 23's as 14 positive test in Villa's first team squad.

I love my football but enough is enough now its time to null and void all bar the Premier League. Let them continue with free to view on TV games to keep the nation entertained for those who want it. Lessons have to be applied prior to re-commencement of the game next season and it provides a much needed and long overdue opportunity to overhaul the structure of game outside the Premier? Times have changed and the game has not kept pace or moved with those times.

Keep safe and well everyone.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

I said back in March that it was an ideal time for football to have a complete re think and overhaul as the lockdown and effects on the 2019/20 season were kicking in -and yet here we are again.It's out of the control of the average punter, but surely that time for serious debate on a re structure of the game must be getting nearer? The biggest issue has to be the nonsensical travelling involved at this level-but no easy answers I know.The "fall out" from Covid to clubs at our level is bad enough, but lower than us must be very worrying re a future? It doesn't give you much confidence though for much change,when you hear about the criticism of the National League during this pandemic and the continued stranglehold on football by the Premier league.
Mr Ah Yes

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

YTT wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:36 pm Looking increasingly likely that the steps below us are going to null and void their seasons.

11 clubs in National League divisions have confirmed positive Covid cases ahead of this weekend and their games postponed.

In the FA Cup tonight Liverpool will now face Aston Villa's under 23's as 14 positive test in Villa's first team squad.

I love my football but enough is enough now its time to null and void all bar the Premier League. Let them continue with free to view on TV games to keep the nation entertained for those who want it. Lessons have to be applied prior to re-commencement of the game next season and it provides a much needed and long overdue opportunity to overhaul the structure of game outside the Premier? Times have changed and the game has not kept pace or moved with those times.

Perhaps if they stopped hugging each other after a goal and at the end of the match (making a mockery of the subs sitting 2m apart in the stands) there may be fewer games called off?

As for PL / higher divisions, interesting to see if Villa and Derby play their next league match or call it off.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Mr Ah Yes wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 pm
YTT wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:36 pm Looking increasingly likely that the steps below us are going to null and void their seasons.

Perhaps if they stopped hugging each other after a goal and at the end of the match (making a mockery of the subs sitting 2m apart in the stands) there may be fewer games called off?

As for PL / higher divisions, interesting to see if Villa and Derby play their next league match or call it off.
No penalty for cancelling a league game, but they would have forfeited their place in the cup. Worth giving the youth a chance rather than concede.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Formula Port wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 pm Free speech for a completely tongue in cheek comment?
Freedom of speech is about freedom from the government. People are free to say what they want on someone elses website, just as much that person has the right to not host it.

Thankfully Portchat is not the government.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

No, Sam, thankfully, in this country people are NOT free to say what they want.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Relevant more from a Port Chat perspective: https://xkcd.com/1357/
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Looking at League 2, it looks quite likely Barrow will be relegated without ever having been able to host a proper crowd. Dreadful for their fans if that’s what happens.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Nothing against Barrow, but perhaps some poetic justice if they did get relegated? Being promoted as Champions of a league when you were in poor form, teams below you who theoretically could overtake you with games in hand, and when you'd only played 37 games of a 46 gameseason-didn't sit well with me.
Good luck to them but...
The same applies to Harrogate, Kings Lynn and Alty.I understand that the season had to be finished somehow but it was a very unsatisfactory.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

Chorley 1-2 Leamington tonight, Brakes with a very small budget do it again. Paul Holleran finds
new players every season to improve his squad coming on 12 years in charge.
BinghamBoy

Post by BinghamBoy »

Link to article in Liverpool Echo with comments from Ian Kyle regarding the letter sent to DCMS about future monies being loans rather than grants - see article on the club website.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... n-19618942
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Thanks for pointing this out.
These are worrying times for all non league clubs and I hope every fan of our club reads it and digests what Ian Kyle is actually saying here. The money has now stopped-and yet we are expected to carry on as normal-still being lumped in with the "elite". It looks as if we've had issues with the National league in cancelling matches too due to players having symtoms of/catching Covid-which is concerning and I hope there are no penalties down the line for seemingly very unclear rules about this.
It's very disappointing that the letter was only signed by 12 out of the 22 National North clubs at a time when solidarity is surely needed at this level? Loans to Step 6 clubs ? No thank you.
How on earth you try to prepare part time lads for games of football with all this going on is beyond me.
YTT

Post by YTT »

It looks increasingly unlikely our season will be completed and seems such waste that the season was even started.

Pleased IK had his say and also put across our version of the CoVid issues experienced, I know our version of events are not shared by Some but then again there doesn’t seem any consistency or set protocol or rule for games being called off at any level.

The financial and organisational debacle has really highlighted how poorly run and administered the game is.

Feel for IK and the position he has been put in and null and void is the only option that should be considered and sooner rather than later as PPG and some of the other crazy proposals just further compound the lack of common sense being applied in some quarters.

Next season look far more viable but I personally believe it will still face some interruptions and challenges. Early decisions allow early planning and SFC, like most clubs, face some big decisions on and off the field.

Good luck to all those involved in that decision making progress.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Ollie Baylis reports “...that the DCMS has indicated to the National League that their £11m of funding will be in loans. Grants will only be available in exceptional circumstances. The National League is encouraging clubs to contact their local MP to ask them to lobby DCMS.”

With that in mind, I suspect clubs may hope to cancel the season and furlough everyone?
YTT

Post by YTT »

Ste_B wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 pm Ollie Baylis reports “...that the DCMS has indicated to the National League that their £11m of funding will be in loans. Grants will only be available in exceptional circumstances. The National League is encouraging clubs to contact their local MP to ask them to lobby DCMS.”

With that in mind, I suspect clubs may hope to cancel the season and furlough everyone?
Clubs meeting with league later this week and the Furlough option is the only outcome you can see. Disgraceful when they said start the season and whilst you have no fans in we will support you.

That now transpires to be by way of loans for remainder of the season. Season is closer by the day to being over for us.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

YTT wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:48 pm
Ste_B wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 pm Ollie Baylis reports “...that the DCMS has indicated to the National League that their £11m of funding will be in loans. Grants will only be available in exceptional circumstances. The National League is encouraging clubs to contact their local MP to ask them to lobby DCMS.”

Clubs meeting with league later this week and the Furlough option is the only outcome you can see. Disgraceful when they said start the season and whilst you have no fans in we will support you.

That now transpires to be by way of loans for remainder of the season. Season is closer by the day to being over for us.
As Plato once said, you can never trust a Tory.

Neither option will be cheap, as I doubt clubs can (or should) rely on the good will of season ticket holders and sponsors forever.

I can't help but feel the financial situation at a lot of clubs could get very serious, very soon - ourselves included.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

I'm sure the league will push for a continuation as any stop will lead to a breach of contract with TV and sponsors.
The club's I suspect will want to stop now and furlough.

Poor old Fylde who have spent close on 100k on transfers trying to buy promotion may object...
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

I doubted Oliver Dowden knew what a "non league" club was until this pandemic.I'm not sure he does now either...
It could get very chaotic, with clubs all fighting their own cause.Good luck to Chorley and Marine with all their FA Cup cash, but interesting on Radio Lancs during Chorley's run,that no mention to my knowledge of the serious financial problems facing most clubs in their very own National North league? It's dog eat dog as per usual- but without competition you're nothing.