Carry on football!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ralphy Rylance

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellosoul wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:12 pm I'm happy for fit, professional athletes to continue to entertain us via the safety of our TV and computer screens during these dreadful times

Though including National League North teams within this category does stretch credibility a bit
For full time professionals with regular testing it doesn't seem too bad to carry on.
For part timers with other jobs it seems madness.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm
yellosoul wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:12 pm I'm happy for fit, professional athletes to continue to entertain us via the safety of our TV and computer screens during these dreadful times

Though including National League North teams within this category does stretch credibility a bit
For full time professionals with regular testing it doesn't seem too bad to carry on.
Agreed.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Agreed.
"Nothing to do with Southport FC" then......?
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Agreed.
So you seem to be agreeing with the sentiment of the opening post, which you'd objected to.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:56 pm
Agreed.
So you seem to be agreeing with the sentiment of the opening post, which you'd objected to.
The opening post was a rant at the government. Whether I agree with this government or not (that’s irrelevant), I don’t want to read political rants on a Southport FC message board.

Your point, RR, was measured, considering both sides of the football landscape. To which I agreed with.

I can’t believe I’ve had to explain.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:31 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:56 pm

Agreed.
The opening post was a rant at the government. Whether I agree with this government or not (that’s irrelevant), I don’t want to read political rants on a Southport FC message board.

Your point, RR, was measured, considering both sides of the football landscape. To which I agreed with.

I can’t believe I’ve had to explain.
It was hardly a rant. It was 3 short sentences. It would be hard to comment on the continuation of football during a lockdown without mentioning the government seeing as it's a government imposed lockdown and the government allowing "elite" football to continue. For someone who doesn't want to see this thread you're contributing to it rather a lot.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Well since it’s carry on football , how about getting Charles Hawtrey to take training and talk tactics for the Darlington game, a vitally important one from which we need to take at least a point so as not to be cast into a major role of carry on downwards 😳
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

TrickyDicky wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:31 pm Well since it’s carry on football , how about getting (the ghost of ) Charles Hawtrey to take training and talk tactics for the Darlington game, a vitally important one from which we need to take at least a point so as not to be cast into a major role of carry on downwards 😳
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:10 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm Very peculiar thread, this. Titled, 'carry on football', but it's just a moan at the government. Haha.
I would watch Carry On Football. Roy Hodgson has a naturally put-upon kind of demeanour, I could definitely see him in a hospital trolley rolling down some stairs. You could also have Allardyce in as some kind of Sid James figure, possibly running a suggestive hot dog concession.

Plenty of scope for poor-quality innuendo as well:

Scoring
Coming from behind
Two up front
Long balls
Arsenal

I am happy to work up a first draft over lockdown, even though merely writing the above list has cost me yet another monocle.
First objection - Allardyce wouldn’t have a hot dog concession as it’s ‘foreign muck’ (American by way of Germany) - he would however man a stall called Meat & Two Veg which passes the criteria of it being something he actually would do, it sells British food and is an unbelievably childish and puerile smutty innuendo.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

SteH90 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm Very peculiar thread, this. Titled, 'carry on football', but it's just a moan at the government. Haha.
I would watch Carry On Football. Roy Hodgson has a naturally put-upon kind of demeanour, I could definitely see him in a hospital trolley rolling down some stairs. You could also have Allardyce in as some kind of Sid James figure, possibly running a suggestive hot dog concession.

Scoring
Coming from behind
Two up front
Long balls
Arsenal

I am happy to work up a first draft over lockdown, even though merely writing the above list has cost me yet another monocle.
First objection - Allardyce wouldn’t have a hot dog concession as it’s ‘foreign muck’ (American by way of Germany) - he would however man a stall called Meat & Two Veg which passes the criteria of it being something he actually would do, it sells British food and is an unbelievably childish and puerile smutty innuendo.
Excellent. I reckon the man himself would do it provided we allowed a bit of product placement for his new isotonic sports gravy.
haigavel

Post by haigavel »

Scoring
Coming from behind
Two up front
Long balls
Arsenal

Suspect Liam would adopt the Khyber Pass.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

How long until somebody exposes the gaping hole at the back?
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm How long until somebody exposes the gaping hole at the back?

We've still got trouble with long balls - it's important that we stiffen up the defence with a couple of larger members.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

In our defence we had our hands on a huge member, until we tossed him off to Wales in the summer.
Last edited by Ste_B on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Scoring
Coming from behind
Two up front
Long balls
Arsenal

:lol: :D :lol:
YTT

Post by YTT »

Back on topic Cut and paste from Chester FC website below and this is the real issue. Really feel for all club owners who have started the season in good faith.

Was always a risk in starting this season and it’s virtually becoming pointless and very difficult to see how it’s completed without the farce of PPG and fall outs again.

Make the tough call and finish it now and allow clubs to use Furlough again until April as without crowds what is football? The TV entertainment is at Premier League level and that’s fine let them crack if they can with 40 positive tests in last round even that’s becoming farcical regarding games on or off for Other reasons.

As has been said in the grand scheme of health and welfare football doesn’t feature anywhere near the top of that list. No crowds....no football.

CLUB STATEMENT | Board requests urgent update from the National League

Wednesday 6 January 2021Albert DaviesClub Statement
The Board of Chester FC wishes to advise our supporters it has written to the National League to request an urgent update regarding continued financial support for its member clubs.

Prior to the commencement of the season, the National League confirmed Government support was in place to compensate clubs for essential revenue lost from fans not returning and said this should provide ‘confidence’ to its members.

Chester FC, alongside our National League North counterparts, committed to start this season playing behind doors on this basis.

While the distribution model employed for the funding received to date remains of separate debate, what was clear is that this funding was only intended to support clubs up to the end of December 2020.

We are concerned that having now entered January and almost 50 days since the £11 million Sport England funding package for the National League was announced, clubs have not received any communication or guidance as to the makeup of these monies or its distribution.

It is evident the Covid-19 situation in the UK remains turbulent and, while acknowledging the positive developments around vaccines, in the context of rising infection rates and tougher restrictions, the prospect of a meaningful number of fans returning to stadiums remains some considerable time away.

As a matter of urgency, we have asked the National League to engage with its members and provide guidance and clarity about what, if any, financial support will be in place from January to May to enable clubs to complete the season.

We have also reminded the National League that when clubs agreed to start playing in October there was no mention of loans, only grants, and we are firmly of the opinion that any future Sport England funding must not betray the trust we and fellow clubs placed in a number of parties at that time.

Chester FC has offered its assistance in supporting the National League in any lobbying of other bodies to ensure the survival of ourselves and other clubs.

We hope for a swift and positive resolution for the benefit of all clubs.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

YTT wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:16 pm Back on topic Cut and paste from Chester FC website below and this is the real issue. Really feel for all club owners who have started the season in good faith.

Was always a risk in starting this season and it’s virtually becoming pointless and very difficult to see how it’s completed without the farce of PPG and fall outs again.

Make the tough call and finish it now and allow clubs to use Furlough again until April as without crowds what is football? The TV entertainment is at Premier League level and that’s fine let them crack if they can with 40 positive tests in last round even that’s becoming farcical regarding games on or off for Other reasons.

As has been said in the grand scheme of health and welfare football doesn’t feature anywhere near the top of that list. No crowds....no football.

The Board of Chester FC wishes to advise our supporters it has written to the National League to request an urgent update regarding continued financial support for its member clubs.

Prior to the commencement of the season, the National League confirmed Government support was in place to compensate clubs for essential revenue lost from fans not returning and said this should provide ‘confidence’ to its members.

Chester FC, alongside our National League North counterparts, committed to start this season playing behind doors on this basis.

While the distribution model employed for the funding received to date remains of separate debate, what was clear is that this funding was only intended to support clubs up to the end of December 2020.

We are concerned that having now entered January and almost 50 days since the £11 million Sport England funding package for the National League was announced, clubs have not received any communication or guidance as to the makeup of these monies or its distribution.

It is evident the Covid-19 situation in the UK remains turbulent and, while acknowledging the positive developments around vaccines, in the context of rising infection rates and tougher restrictions, the prospect of a meaningful number of fans returning to stadiums remains some considerable time away.

As a matter of urgency, we have asked the National League to engage with its members and provide guidance and clarity about what, if any, financial support will be in place from January to May to enable clubs to complete the season.

We have also reminded the National League that when clubs agreed to start playing in October there was no mention of loans, only grants, and we are firmly of the opinion that any future Sport England funding must not betray the trust we and fellow clubs placed in a number of parties at that time.

Chester FC has offered its assistance in supporting the National League in any lobbying of other bodies to ensure the survival of ourselves and other clubs.

Can completely understand their concerns. But the bigger clubs with the bigger fanbases got the most funding money. Surely it should be the other way around? During the first lockdown, Southport furloughed all their players and paid staff mines a few I believe and relied on volunteers, so not too much funding was required. There is no way clubs would have possibly been able to start the season without the first wave funding. Meanwhile this time they are having to pay for player wages and again, playing without fans, so no matchday income. This financial support is majorly needed as players cannot play and be furloughed. Also, I doubt we will see fans attend another national league north game this season so I believe the funding needs to be more substantial this time around.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

yellowfever wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:33 pm It's called free speech ASP...

I don't agree with everything that you say on here and no doubt you likewise with me.

That"s fine.

The difference is though-that I don't come on asking for your thread/comment to be deleted (as happened above) just because I don't like what your saying.
On the contrary YF everyone must have their say, the decision to play Football must have been a very difficult call, however the present Government I suppose have done their best to keep things as normal as possible on a sports ground. If they ban it they are damned if they let play commence they are damned, what would anyone in Power do under this unique terrible time in the World. I don't know the answer but we all better hope the Vaccine does its job, who would want to be a World leader right now?
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:23 pm
YTT wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:16 pm Back on topic Cut and paste from Chester FC website below and this is the real issue. Really feel for all club owners who have started the season in good faith.

Can completely understand their concerns. But the bigger clubs with the bigger fanbases got the most funding money. Surely it should be the other way around? During the first lockdown, Southport furloughed all their players and paid staff mines a few I believe and relied on volunteers, so not too much funding was required. There is no way clubs would have possibly been able to start the season without the first wave funding. Meanwhile this time they are having to pay for player wages and again, playing without fans, so no matchday income. This financial support is majorly needed as players cannot play and be furloughed. Also, I doubt we will see fans attend another national league north game this season so I believe the funding needs to be more substantial this time around.
The Chester statement seems to be saying clubs haven't received the first wave of funding yet.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm
PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:23 pm

The Chester statement seems to be saying clubs haven't received the first wave of funding yet.
Ralphy, The first raft of funding covered up to the 31st of Dec. The concern now is that whilst £11m has been allocated by Sport England over 50 days ago the what happens next news in terms of distribution and make up has been promised and expected for sometime but hasn't arrived and talk of loans not grants etc.