Carry on football!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Ste_B »

Swedes wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:16 am Interesting to see that Chesterfield have put some players on furlough: http://chesterfield-fc.co.uk/club-news/ ... rent-plans

Surely it sets a precedent that if the season does end up continuing then clubs can just keep 14 players in the squad and furlough the rest, only to bring players back as and when needed?
Chesterfield have furloughed players that would have otherwise left had it not been for the pandemic. Although ‘left to rot so the club can save a few quid at the taxpayers’ expense’ would be a more critical view of it.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Apparently there is a vote tomorrow to curtail the season.
The vote is likely to be split into national and N/S

I suspect N/S seasons will end this week bar FA Trophy.
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:16 pm Marine's league was suspended when they had several FA Cup matches...
...but I am not sure that they sought that suspension through player safety. It does not sit easily wanting to end the league season, if we then continue competing in the FATrophy.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

The vote was supposed to take place today, but I understand the league have not issued any resolutions to the club's yet.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

No they won't because they havn't got any resolution to satisfy every club in this farcical situation...

Chorley FC have come out with an incredibly arrogant statement saying the league should continue with no reason not too..Ok when you've just banked 500k plus from an FA Cup run-you would say that wouldn't you?

This is what SFC are up against I'm afraid.

Loans should not be made compulsory-end of.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

yellowfever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:05 pm No they won't because they havn't got any resolution to satisfy every club in this farcical situation...

Chorley FC have come out with an incredibly arrogant statement saying the league should continue with no reason not too..Ok when you've just banked 500k plus from an FA Cup run-you would say that wouldn't you?

I found the bit where they said being branded as "elite" football was an honour and a reason for the season to continue sickening.
Badges of honour won't save you from a virus.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Just let those who want to carry on, carry on.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

On Chorley arrogance I remember the season Burscough played Sheffield United in the FA cup 1979
Chorley played Burscough in the 2nd qualifying round. Their manager said in the press Burscough weren’t good enough to play them and it would be easy.
The Burscough manager George Rooney said very little and pinned the press cutting to the changing room door Burscough won!
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

It says a lot about the state of the world, when you look at the teams that want the season curtailed, alongside their league position. In the north the teams are in positions 10th - 21st, inclusive and in the south, 12, 14, 18, 20th. I would like the remaining clubs to say how many lives their possible promotion is worth ?. How would you feel if one of your players suffered a serious injury during a game and then had to wait with a broken leg or similar, in pain, for hours to be admitted to hospital ?. Any Chorley or Gloucester fans out there like to comment ?.
Even before the discovery of the new strains of the virus, the season should have ended and the same should apply to the FA trophy (even though we are in the 5th round.
The above comments about halting the FA trophy is even more pertinent now that the South African variant has been found in Southport. It would be total madness for Torquay to travel to Southport and insane if we allowed them.
For heavens sake, stay safe everyone.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Ste_B wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:36 pm Just let those who want to carry on, carry on.
The problem is that the virus isn't capable of just selecting the people who just want things to carry on. If it was there would be no need for hospital staff to wear PPE. To carry on is to kill people.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Posted at 20:2820:28 1st February
Post update
Simon Stone
BBC Sport

The National League has written to all 66 clubs tonight to ask them if they want to end the season.

The clubs have been presented with four resolutions, the first of which is to allow the National League to be allowed to determine its short-term future, with the North and South Divisions deciding on theirs.

If that wish is granted, the two decisions will be made by a straight majority.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

South African Variant of the virus carries one potentially BIG problem, this being that the existing vaccines are less effective against it according to initial research. Pfizer still effective - only about 60% rather than the 90% claimed originally. FA Trophy match should be pulled. As has already been said on here, surely it is unfair on the Torquay players and volunteers to insist they travel into a potentially more dangerous area. Other vaccines are still being tested against it.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

We should refuse to play bearing in mind latest info on PR9 postcode. It would be morally wrong to be told to do so in my book when people are being told to take extra care, get tested and stay at home in our town.

I notice national league are quoting the 28 day rule to vote, demonstrating great inflexibility in the middle of a crisis. That reads to me like they're going to force a restart until votes counted ....I stand to be corrected but that seems very wrong too.

All stinks to me...
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

28 days is legal text. If the numbers for a majority decision are reached today, the announcement will be made today.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

NLN /S clubs have been told that they have to resume playing on Saturday.

As for the PR9 issue, I agree Torquay shouldn't be expected to travel. However we all know that if they refuse to do so they will be deemed to have forfeited their place and Southport will go though to the next round by default.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

The club has publicly made its position clear. It’s not about funding it’s about health, safety and welfare of players and staff.

If anything our local position took a turn for the worse yesterday and hope all in PR9 are keeping safe.

Sure we will have voted as will all the others voting to end the season.

Sadly I think the farce will be dragged out as the whole process has been managed so badly and in season to come (fingers crossed) let’s not forget how teams voted and their agendas.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

However if a block of clubs took on the league on a protecting the community standpoint; they'd win. From a PR perspective expelling 10 plus clubs at this time would destroy the National League.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

We still don't know what the feelings are of many clubs in National North who didn't sign the letter-maybe some still looking for a miracle cure? Kiddy were still very cautious for one and I can't believe deep down the likes of fan owned Chester will be happy with the prospects of forced loans?
It is all about health and safety here though.
I've just read about the Havent and Waterlooville( National South) players father who has died with Covid-this really doesn't get any more serious...
Maybe it's the time for unhappy clubs to call the bluff of the National League board by refusing to play this Saturday?
If all clubs were then disciplined and thrown out of the league for not wanting to go into forced debt-that would surely bring about damaging publicity for the sport and an embarrassing situation for the Govt?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:05 am However if a block of clubs took on the league on a protecting the community standpoint; they'd win. From a PR perspective expelling 10 plus clubs at this time would destroy the National League.
10 clubs from the leagues below would jump at the chance to move up.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:05 am However if a block of clubs took on the league on a protecting the community standpoint; they'd win. From a PR perspective expelling 10 plus clubs at this time would destroy the National League.
10 clubs from the leagues below would jump at the chance to move up.
Probably. But the legal battle between the good community focused clubs and the bad league would be devastating for the league and swiftly ended in our favour by the FA. Or we'd be demoted but having done the right thing. Either outcome seems more suitable to me. If I wanted win at all costs I wouldn't be a Southport fan.